What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Spellbound -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Robert Harris said:
Properly presented, UC is gorgeous Technicolor, and the cinematographic experimentation from Rope a lead in. RAH
I'd be interested in seeing it properly presented. I had seen it on DVD several years back and I don't recall who was responsible for the disc. I know the librarian had to dig it out of their storage.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
benbess said:
Wow. What a great picture. Love it. Thanks.
Yes, wonderful picture. Thanks for posting it. Here are the half-sheets: The 24-sheet banner: And the one-sheet: Re-release and foreign posters were all very interesting for this film. I'm fond of Hitchcock's psychological melodramas, and of Spellbound in particular. It's suspenseful and entertaining. Just when I complete my collection of Hitchcock DVDs, it looks like I'll be buying all his films all over again on Blu-ray.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Just did the same, in getting these three beauties on BD last week and by finally acquiring Jamaica Inn and Under Capricorn on DVD. For a lifelong Hitchcock aficionado, it sure took me a while. I promise to do better in the Blu-ray generation....

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris said:
Properly presented, UC is gorgeous Technicolor, and the cinematographic experimentation from Rope a lead in. RAH
I was able to see UC at the Silver Theatre in Silver Spring MD last year. I wanted to grab the opportunity, because it was one of the few HItch films I'd never seen. Although the movie overall was awkward, Cardiff's cinematography was gorgeous. So was, of course, Ingrid Bergman, although she seemed to drift in and out of her Irish accent. Unfortunately, the print was very rough, with a lot of scratches and marks. Doug

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'd seen UC only once, at LACMA in the 1970s, and remembered very little of it. Popped in the Image DVD just to get the flavor, and there is obviously much Cardiff and Technicolor beauty to be savored. I'll be watching straight through soon, but will look forward to a truly great release one of these days.

The fact that it's not typical Hitchcock doesn't bother me. It looks like a really nice period piece, and I know my man's in charge, so no worries.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Brandon Conway said:
It's been known since the Stagecoach release was revealed that Criterion got a few other titles from the same Caidin Trust deal, namely: Foreign Correspondent (1940) History is Made at Night (1937) I Married a Witch (1942) The Long Voyage Home (1940) To Be or Not to Be (1942) These are all currently on Criterion's Hulu channel. When they make it out on DVD/BD is anyone's guess, but one would presume that Foreign Correspondent is the most prominent of the 5 titles above because of its director.
Thanks Brandon. I'd love To Be or Not to Be on Blu-ray as well.

nedinme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ned
RAH: Just wached the Blu-Ray last night...loved it. I had never seen this Hitchcock movie before. Interesting that they had an "Overture" and "Exit Music" for this movie. I did catch the "color shot" near the end! (no pun intended!!). Your review is right on. I also bought the other 2 releases by Hitchcock.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
Brandon Conway said:
It's been known since the Stagecoach release was revealed that Criterion got a few other titles from the same Caidin Trust deal, namely: Foreign Correspondent (1940) History is Made at Night (1937) I Married a Witch (1942) The Long Voyage Home (1940) To Be or Not to Be (1942) These are all currently on Criterion's Hulu channel. When they make it out on DVD/BD is anyone's guess, but one would presume that Foreign Correspondent is the most prominent of the 5 titles above because of its director.
OMG Criterion owns "History is made at night"!!!! Oh please, release it soon. I knew about FC, but not the others, and I'm especially shocked by HIMaN, hence my exclamation above. But I would (and hopefully will) buy all 5 of those titles, without hesitation. Get on it already Criterion!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks