What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Spartacus -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pengling

Auditioning
Real Name
pengling
It looks like Spartacus has become the latest important cinematic work to be ruined in it's Blu-ray presentation by ignorance and/or misguided decisions.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I am currently listening to the audio commentary for the Criterion Collection 2 Disc DVD set. (I purchased it today part of the Criterion 50% off Sale. (I owned it previously but lost it to loaning it out. That won't happen again)

The audio commentary is one of the most informative, never a dull moment and plenty of trivia, and I love Robert Harris's remarks about the restoration.

Maybe one day we will get a better version on DVD, I won't give up this definitive release version ever.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
One of my biggest regrets about this Blu is that the commentary and several of the other Criterion extras were not made a part of it. The Criterion DVD (and earlier laserdisc) for Spartacus is a complete package, with all the supplements adding together to form a coherent whole. In an ideal world, this title could have been re-licensed to Criterion to make the Blu-ray - which would have obviated this whole discussion.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well after Paramount's announcement for Gladiator, makes me wish that Universal would be willing to go back and readress this issues with this as well.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I actually just went ahead and bought the Criterion DVD today at B&N. With the 50% sale walked out at around $19. I'm still bummed about the blu-ray -- overall transfer, lack of supplements, etc.

MB17

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcos Seixas
The Spartacus BD in UK is being released this month. Is there any chance that its transfer is better than the US version? Or the releases in all countries are from the same faulty transfer?

Thanks.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Please let a Criterion SPARTACUS be true!!
There version was the only true version taken from the 65mm preservation interpositive. Hopefully this upcoming version will give us a transfer from that 65mm at about 6K with the proscenium audio mix!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Actually the Universal Blu-ray is based off the same master as the Criterion DVD. For the Criterion, Robert Harris did a tape-to-tape color correction, but the original 65mm-to-tape transfer is the same.

Vincent

Originally Posted by David Coleman
Please let a Criterion SPARTACUS be true!!
There version was the only true version taken from the 65mm preservation interpositive. Hopefully this upcoming version will give us a transfer from that 65mm at about 6K with the proscenium audio mix!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don't think they're exactly the same. For one, the Universal shows a little more on all four sides (indicating they used the 35mm aspect ratio as opposed to Criterion's quasi-65mm one) akin to every widescreen video release of the film prior to the retimed Criterion dvd.

Of course Criterion might have done their extraction/color timing after downrezzing to 480p. In which case the process will have to be redone entirely from scratch as the current untimed 2k master isn't up to snuff.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling Criterion will do a new master - particularly after what happened last year. If they really are coming out with a Blu upgrade of their set next year, that will be a relief.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Sign me up for a new Criterion blu-ray of "Spartacus" and, please, let it be a new master. The Universal release was one of my biggest disappointments.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Aside -- I didn't see this mentioned above, but theatres in Canada are having special showings of Sparticus on the big screen in July. Mid-July and July 24th.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Any more information on whether Criterion may release this next year. ?

I am so disappointed with Universal, each new back catalogue release seems to be worse than the last, and yet some people are still buying into them and even praising them, gee that disappoints me even more.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder
Any idea if Criterion may release this next year. ?
Doubtful. While a proper investment for the copyright owner, this would be ridiculously expensive for any entity with limited license for distribution.

Keep in mind that this is not only large format, but the equivalent of two films.

RAH

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
FoxyMulder said:
Any more information on whether Criterion may release this next year. ?

I am so disappointed with Universal, each new back catalogue release seems to be worse than the last, and yet some people are still buying into them and even praising them, gee that disappoints me even more.
Criterion utilizes Facebook to tease its fans and 'hint' about upcoming releases. In a posting about a month ago it showed a few pages listing films for 2012 release. Among them was SPARTACUS! I e-mailed he President of Criterion on another matter and mentioned SPARTACUS. He neither confirmed or denied it...
I believe that 2012 is the 100th Anniversary of Universal Pictures. It would not surprise me if SPARTACUS becomes a joint venture with Criterion to do the film proper on Blu-ray.

Steve Batchelor

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Batchelor
Paul Rossen said:
Criterion utilizes Facebook to tease its fans and 'hint' about upcoming releases. In a posting about a month ago it showed a few pages listing films for 2012 release. Among them was SPARTACUS! I e-mailed he President of Criterion on another matter and mentioned SPARTACUS. He neither confirmed or denied it...
I believe that 2012 is the 100th Anniversary of Universal Pictures. It would not surprise me if SPARTACUS becomes a joint venture with Criterion to do the film proper on Blu-ray.
I hope this is true. Since the powers that be view this web site, lets at least keep the noise up from time to time.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Steve Batchelor /t/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/240#post_3868403
I hope this is true. Since the powers that be view this web site, lets at least keep the noise up from time to time.
I hope its true too, i would buy this in a heartbeat, i will not touch the version currently out on blu ray, i also hope Criterion have Red River and release that in 2012.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Count me in for a definite buy if Criterion releases Spartacus on Blu! I'd love to send the sorry job Universal did on the current release to the trash bin of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks