What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by benbess

I have to say that I like Pinocchio even better than Snow White. Snow White is still a wonderful film, and looks great on blu, but imho Pinocchio is superior in every way that I can think of--bigger laughs, bigger scares, better songs, more spectacular and professional animation, etc. I still can't entirely figure out why Pinocchio lost money on its first release in 1940.
I have always liked Pinocchio the best of Disney's features, too, but upon viewing Snow White on blu, I almost like it the best now. What really blows me away about Snow White is the genius/courage/chutzpah it took to get it made. I had to keep telling myself while watching it that "this is the first movie of its kind". It just impresses the heck out of me that Disney put together such an impressive first feature that still holds up with, and is superior to many of his other films.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Gee no one else hard trouble with still files,I called Disney and they said the second BR Disc still filles don't work
on some Sony Players including the Playstation,and I would have to wait till new Firmware!!!

To Robert Harris ,did you mention that the timeline pops up everytime you freeze frame it? and that you
can't remove it,Did this Bother you?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Second disc was freezing up on me in the still files too, Peter. I have a BDP-S350. I'm sure Sony will have new firmware out shortly.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Movies were typically shot in the 4:3 ratio until the mid-1950s. Snow White and The Wizard of Oz are both older than that, and are presented on Blu-ray in their original aspect ratio.
Thank you for the information, I honestly didn't know. I just had it in my head that this was going to be this great wide-screen release and when I popped in the Bluray I was disappointed. Now I know that it was in fact presented in the original and correct format and I do not have a problem with that.

You have over 2,500 posts on HTF and you have never learned that virtually every film made before 1954 ( the start of the widescreen era ) was in the 4:3 aspect ratio ? It's been discussed in hundreds of threads over the years.
I honestly do not have many older films in my library and have not watched a lot of older films to be honest. And I have not bothered to get involved in to many older film threads. Since Bluray came around I am developing a real interest in owning older titles in HD. Gone With The Wind is one of the older titles I can not wait to own. There is so much about older films I do not know and would like to learn about and this is the right place to learn about it.

I guess if you've got 171 copies of Wolverine BD that might explain it.
No that is not true, I have 171 copies of Transformers!

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Needless to say, Gone With the Wind will also be in 4:3. Movies started doing widescreen presentations in order to compete with that new fangled TV thingamajiggy.

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
Hi-Ho everyone,

I was exploring the Hyperion Studios on Disc 2. Using the Index to find my way (there are lots of stuff), I navigated to the Live Action Reference and selected the Live Action Reference Gallery. It allows me to navigate the 3 pages of still photo thumbnails, but when I press enter on any of the thumbnails, my Sony 350s player locks up. The only function that works is Top Menu button, which brings me out of the Hyperion Studios mode. What is supposed to happen when you select a thumbnail picture?

I've watched about half the animated film so far. It's a huge improvement in color quality compared to my earlier copy of the film. I don't see any grain what so ever. I don't really hear a benefit of the 7.1 channel sound in my 5.1 setup, but I'm glad to have it available when/if I ever add more speakers. Overall, I love the new bonus material on this release - there's so much to explore. Let me know how you fare with the Live Action Gallery.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Well, this is simply one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Unlike the person who posted that the clarity took him out of the movie, I found the opposite - I got lost in the movie, I was at one with the movie. Why it's necessary to post that the animation is not like today is baffling, but I guess it has to be done because young people seem not to be able to watch anything without context being handed to them with a shovel. I have to believe that wherever Mr. Disney is, he's smiling at how beautiful this historic and monumental achievement looks. Frankly, I found everything about this presentation superior to the much later Sleeping Beauty. Kudos to all involved - you've done Disney proud.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz

Since Bluray came around I am developing a real interest in owning older titles in HD. Gone With The Wind is one of the older titles I can not wait to own. There is so much about older films I do not know and would like to learn about and this is the right place to learn about it.
You almost sound like this will be your first viewing of "Gone With the Wind," Dave. If so, I'm a totally envious!

John Skoda

Second Unit
I'm really impressed with the audio on the blu-ray, especially the sound of the orchestral music. It sounds like a full-frequency recording, not one from 1937. It doesn't have any of the electronic 'edges' you typically hear on these enhanced soundtracks.

Maybe what I'm hearing is a result of the fact that they don't have to compress the sound as much as they do on a standard DVD. But, whatever the reason, it sure sounds good.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I was going to mention the audio in greater detail in my earlier post. I'm currently running just the core DTS from my BDP-S350 into my setup and even the lossy core sounds amazing. There is real depth to the music, and the dialogue is excellent. I'm gonna run the restored mono on my next viewing to see how it compares.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Just another SONY owner agreeing with the above posts.....the disc 2 still features cannot be accessed on my player, and the menu screens in the Hyperion section get locked up as well.

As a side note, I found the Hyperion section to be throrough and exciting, but not all that easy to navigate.

PS, the film itself is indeed glorious to behold.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You almost sound like this will be your first viewing of "Gone With the Wind," Dave. If so, I'm a totally envious!

It wouldn't be the first time I have seen Gone With The Wind but its not like I have seen it more than 2 or 3 times in my life. And I honestly have not seen it in so long that the next time I see it, heck I might actually feel like I have seen it for the first time. I really love what HD has done for movies as it has help make the viewing experience much better and there has been not better to own movie library's than now, I love it!

It's almost hard to believe that my HD library has passed up my SD library in a shorter time than it took me to build the SD library.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've only seen it once -- mainly because I liked the book much better (despite its -- to be kind -- "outdated" racial attitudes).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong /forum/thread/293339/a-few-words-about-snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-in-blu-ray/90#post_3618239

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Just a heads up on the supplements disc... there's eight classic cartoons in the Hyperion Studios section in 1080p:

Steamboat Willie
Music Land
Playful Pluto
The Skeleton Dance
Flowers and Trees
The Goddess of Spring
The Old Mill
Babes in the Woods

The Goddess of Spring looks upscaled, but the rest seem to be HD remasters.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart /forum/thread/293339/a-few-words-about-snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-in-blu-ray/90#post_3618522

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Steamboat Willie and Playful Pluto are definitely HD, and they've had a lot of work on them. If you compare Steamboat Willie to the earlier DVD, you see that it's been cleaned up dramatically, but, for whatever reason, contrast is reduced. It looks great, though, and makes me wonder if an HD collection of Disney shorts is in our future. You may be right about the others, but it's hard for me to tell because of significant registration issues. They look clean, however. Music Land, but the way, is a terrific cartoon.

It took me awhile to realize that you can access what they call the index by hitting the down arrow on your remote. Otherwise, you have to try to find the cartoons through a labyrinth of admittedly interesting features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks