What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I went to Walmart and the price was $19.86 but they do not accept online coupons. BestBuy would match Walmart price but not the coupon too. With coupon is was $14.99 plus tax. I didn't know about the Amazon reduction.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Interestingly enough the Snow White Blu-Ray + DVD is showing 19.99 while the Snow White DVD + Blu-Ray is 24.99. Makes me glad I stuck with the Blu-Ray version. I thought about switching for the other cover, but it wasn't that important.

I hope I get credited. I think I will send them an email to make sure.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Pre-ordered the Best Buy Steelbook, went back today for the Blu-ray package.

I had the $10 Movie Rewards coupon printed out. This would make the Blu & Steelbook $15 & tax.

The fellow in front of me tried to use the coupon & get a Wal-Mart price match ($19.96 around here). He was told that he probably wouldn't be able to do both. Cue much tapping of fingers on keys - but the price match worked! As we'd been talking in line, he turned around and gave me his Wal-Mart print out.

"Same again, please!" I said when it was my turn.

So - Blu-ray set with Best Buy Steelbook for $9.96 & tax! What a deal!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Haven't received anything yet that they credited me the difference in the price drop.
Give them a few days. I've had several pre-ordered items from Amazon just this year that had last-minute price drops, and they've never failed to come back within 2 days after shipping and issue a credit. No prompting from me necessary.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My order just changed to "Shipping Soon" and has the new lowered price and still has the original promo code discount as well! Bravo, Amazon!

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Originally Posted by Craig S

Give them a few days. I've had several pre-ordered items from Amazon just this year that had last-minute price drops, and they've never failed to come back within 2 days after shipping and issue a credit. No prompting from me necessary.

That's good to hear. I look forward to my credit.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Bill Buklis /forum/thread/293339/a-few-words-about-snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-in-blu-ray/30#post_3614167

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong ">[/url]

PS: I wasn't gonna post about my own purchase here, but since everyone just keeps talking about that, I figured I might as well now. Hope RAH (and some others) are not too bothered by all the gushing about a good deal (vs about the film itself)...

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
When I told my wife about it (and yesterday's Gold Box $18.99 price to boot), she hypothesized that maybe it's precisely the less appealing cover that's causing the price cut for one and not the other.

I was thinking the same thing.

If more Blu-rays came out of the gate at these prices, standard def DVD would be subsumed in short order, no pun intended.

Absolutely. I think it's a shame that studios are taking advantage of the "premium" format of Blu-Ray to use "premium pricing" tactics. Although I suppose I might be willing to pay more if sets contained both DVD and Blu-Ray versions like Disney releases. There are times it can be handy to have the DVD version - like for my portable player.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

What has exited the other side is something that we have never seen before. But neither had Mr. Disney and those that created the film. Technicolor in 1937 was notoriously soft and lacking in definition and detail. And I would presume because of that, that there is little in Snow White. Facial details are nil. Outlines rule. The famous Disney "everything in the frame is moving at the same time" isn't there. While the central focus of the frame has movement (2 frames per move, ie 12 different frames per second) the backgrounds and those elements at the sides, stay frozen for all time.

The multi-plane camera, which was totally new, is used to beautiful effect.
This makes me wonder what is the source for this restoration? It is a restoration isn't it? If it's the original cells, then they'd have to run them through the multi-plane again, wouldn't they? If film, how did they get around the softness of lack of definition in Technicolor?

I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by RolandL

I went to Walmart and the price was $19.86 but they do not accept online coupons. BestBuy would match Walmart price but not the coupon too. With coupon is was $14.99 plus tax. I didn't know about the Amazon reduction.
My walmart took the online coupon.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Robert Harris ">[/url]

To the contrary. I purchased a second copy on Amazon in Blu-ray packaging, and will gift my first disc. If more Blu-rays came out of the gate at these prices, standard def DVD would be subsumed in short order, no pun intended.

RAH [/QUOTE]Thanks, RAH. Good to hear you too personally benefited from the recent discounts. And yeah, definitely agree about the pricing strategy here -- and actually, seems like Disney has been fairly active in exploring ways to do that for some time now, eg. occasional $10 print-your-own coupons for certain day-and-date new releases, BD+DVD combo packs in some cases, $10 upgrade rebates on certain relatively popular catalog titles that seem to even get Paramount to follow suit to some extent.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [b]Bill Buklis[/b] [url=/forum/thread/293339/a-few-words-about-snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-in-blu-ray/30#post_3614285]

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
I was going to skip SWATSD until I read here about Amazon's deal. I should stay away from these forums....

Anways, when my set arrives, I'm probably give the DVD version to my office mate so that his wife and kids can enjoy it. BD is all I need.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I bought the disc today, and while it looks glorious, I must say I'm disappointed in the missing extras from the Platinum edition. Where is the deleted snippet of the first half of the scene with the witch dipping the apple? Or the original RKO title card (something they restored to the film for the Blu-Ray of "Pinocchio," but puzzingly omit here). EDIT: DOH!! The RKO titles are integrated into the film. That's what I get for reading an online review mentioning that the RKO title supplement was missing, and not checking myself.

Nonethless, another extra that's missing from the previous Platinum Edition is the dwarfs' argument in the bedroom about whether Snow White stays or goes. Hell, I might just give away the DVD version of the film in the Blu-Ray set and replace it with disc two from the Platinum Edition.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I originally got it with the snowhite code from amazon for 14.99. When they dropped the price I sent amazon an email, and without fuss it came all the way down to 9.99. Love amazon's price protection policy on some titles. 9.99 compares very favorably to the 24.99 typical of other retailers.

I wonder how amazon does this price. It seems like a classic loss leader to me. But I guess it drives volume to their site. I wonder if Disney does some amazing discount for amazon to keep this 70+ year old title number 1 in sales?

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Originally Posted by TravisR

^ Amazon and the other retailers all get $10 back from Disney for those coupons. Nothing more than a guess but I think at $20, they're probably making a small profit on each copy.

Additionally with the $25 minimum for free shipping it pretty much guarantees that you're going to buy something else to go with it. You probably won't have as good a deal on the second item, so I think Amazon is going to do just fine on this.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
FWIW, for some reason, I mistakenly thought the Monsters vs Aliens BD also came w/ the DVD -- and ordered it alongside the Snow White BD. Had I realized it was just the BD, I would've probably debated on the purchase some more and *possibly* either wait for a better price or just get the DVD for less. I guess I probably coulda canceled that portion of the order (and maybe still qualify for free shipping from Amazon), but decided I'd just stick w/ it this time since that title seems worthwhile enough to own on BD sans the DVD -- and my daughter really wants it (on whatever format)...

Monsters vs Aliens is worth it. It's a pretty good movie. It's not up to Pixar standards, but then what is? We saw this in the theatre in 3-D. This reminds me, I haven't ordered this BD yet. Yeah, it'd be nice if it was a BD/DVD combo package. With this way I'll only get the BD and do without the DVD version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks