What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Singin' in the Rain -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Mark Walker said:
I still think I am getting the single disc, unless there is something I would be losing in terms of special features if I just keep disc two from the previous two-disc SE DVD; I will put them both in a two disc blu-ray case, and problem solved...until it rains. ;)
It's quite minor, but the Disc One in the two-disc SE DVD contained the "Reel Sound" and "Singin' Inspirations" features. The former was text stills and short clips that discussed the history of sound pictures (the clips were from 1926's Don Juan, 1927's The Jazz Singer, 1928's Lights of New York, and 1929's The Broadway Melody), while the latter was a playback feature for the film where you could branch to short clips. I haven't watched that version in awhile, because the clips were extremely few and far between, but during the first few minutes of the film, you could branch to a clip from 1930's Show Girl in Hollywood, as that illustrated what a Hollywood premiere looked like during that era.
I don't think any of this is on the new Blu-Ray, unless the new DVD Disc One keeps them for some reason.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Now here is something odd. The Film Society of Lincoln Center is doing a 23 film Centennial Tribute to Gene Kelly beginning this Friday July 13 without showing Singin' In the Rain. I have to assume because of the Fathom event it wasn't available to them. They are showing Xanadu though.
http://www.filmlinc.com/films/series/invitation-to-dance-gene-kelly-at-100

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Escapay /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947272
It's quite minor, but the Disc One in the two-disc SE DVD contained the "Reel Sound" and "Singin' Inspirations" features. The former was text stills and short clips that discussed the history of sound pictures (the clips were from 1926's Don Juan, 1927's The Jazz Singer, 1928's Lights of New York, and 1929's The Broadway Melody), while the latter was a playback feature for the film where you could branch to short clips. I haven't watched that version in awhile, because the clips were extremely few and far between, but during the first few minutes of the film, you could branch to a clip from 1930's Show Girl in Hollywood, as that illustrated what a Hollywood premiere looked like during that era.
I don't think any of this is on the new Blu-Ray, unless the new DVD Disc One keeps them for some reason.

Speaking of Hollywood premieres at the turn of sound, someone should be able to come up with the film from which the opening LS footage was derived.

Definitely not 1926-7. The cars are all mid-'30s.

RAH

trosstv

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry Ross
Robert Harris said:
Speaking of Hollywood premieres at the turn of sound, someone should be able to come up with the film from which the opening LS footage was derived.
Definitely not 1926-7.  The cars are all mid-'30s.
RAH
It looks like the footage used in the 1936 version of "A Star is Born," which I understand was shot at the actual premiere of "The Garden of Allah." The premiere was recycled for Gene Kelly again when he played Pinky Benson in "What a Way to Go" (1964), by which time the cars in front of the theater were about 30 years old.
Terry Ross

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by willyTass /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947343
were there protection fine grains done prior to the fire?

Fortunately.

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
It's great that Warners is giving this blu-ray release a big-deal treatment. I can't wait! I've pre-ordered the cheapest version because it sounds like they may have a surplus on the umbrella box, which I will eventually pick up at a discount rate later! It's all about Lena Lamont for me, and multiple versions of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN are smarter than Calvin Coolidge...PUT TOGETHER!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark Oates said:
Call me weird, but I love Lena Lamont (Jean Hagen). Every line's a scream, and of course that magnificent somersault she executes when RF pulls her microphone lead....
If you love Lena Lamont, I will call you weird. If you love Jean Hagen you have taste and wisdom.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Robin9 /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947412
If you love Lena Lamont, I will call you weird.

Why? After all, bringing a little joy into your humdrum lives makes her feel as though her hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I must have missed the memo that it was forbidden to appreciate a well-written character. ;) Jean Hagen's performance as Lena Lamont is, of course, stellar. However the character is actually a collaborative effort between the actor for her performance, the writers (Betty Comden and Adolph Green) for putting the words in her mouth and the directors Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen for getting the performance out of the actor. You could also credit the editor (Adrienne Fazan) for cutting the scenes the character appears in, Judy Holliday for recommending Hagen for the role and Norma Talmadge for providing the inspiration for the character in the first place. I could, I suppose, have said all of that in the original post but I (obviously incorrectly) assumed the shorthand of saying I loved the character would be understood.:P

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947454
Sorry, I must have missed the memo that it was forbidden to appreciate a well-written character.
You realize that this movie is a documentary right?

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947491
Actually, I'd always thought Donald O'Connor had to be CGI.
Considering the facial and bodily contortions he demonstrated in "Make 'Em Laugh", I would agree with you...but CGI didn't exist in 1952!!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947571
Considering the facial and bodily contortions he demonstrated in "Make 'Em Laugh", I would agree with you...but CGI didn't exist in 1952!!!

Animated by the great Bob Clampett...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947577
As great as Bob was, I don't think that even HE could do photo-real quality animation back then!!!

I don't know, he was pretty close in the 40's

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
NY2LA said:
Sometimes the tables are turned, USA seem to be the last in line to get Cleopatra.
Or the David Lynch Boxed Set.
Although in that instance, it might actually be a good thing.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray#post_3946662

Seems like one would be paying something like $50 for a very cheap umbrella.

But to each their own.

Stay dry.

RAH

It does rain a lot here, if it was a decent quality umbrella i'd consider it but a cheap one, nahhhhh.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947611

It does rain a lot here, if it was a decent quality umbrella i'd consider it but a cheap one, nahhhhh.
Personally, I'd love to be out "Singin' In The Rain" if it means I gotta girlfriend as sweet and cute as Debbie Reynolds' Kathy Selden was in this movie...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks