A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sideways -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Strange, that after writing a few words about The Pink Panther on Blu-ray, and using the word "sideways" in reference to the photographic process, that we move along to a few words about...

I loved Sideways when it arrived in theaters, and when it arrived on DVD, its charm was still intact, but the look of the film was gone. Sideways has a beautiful, smooth, hazy look to it, which is difficult to capture on standard definition DVD.

Now on Blu-ray, I'm thrilled that Sideways looks as it did in theaters -- precisely like film.

Thank you, Fox Home Entertainment!

One anomaly that I continue to see is the use of a Fox Searchlight logo inconsistent with the quality and resolution of Blu-ray, as banding and digital problems are extremely evident. A higher resolution logo would be a nice addition for future releases.

Any discussion of the plot would create a damaged first viewing, so I won't go there. Suffice to say that whether your personal taste leans toward a nice merlot, a pinot noir, or even a huge shiraz, Sideways will be a film long remembered in every delicious detail.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Yet another title to add. I can "gift" my SD copy to a friend of mine who is not planning a foray into the world of hi-def media (of any kind) anytime soon. You are also right to not give away plot points.

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I love this film, glad to hear the BD is a worthwhile upgrade. Think I'll snag it at Fry's tonight.
    I know exactly what you're talking about with that logo. It's not just a problem on disc - the artifacts are even more painfully obvious in theatrical viewings of Fox Searchlight films. C'mon, Fox, how hard would it be to re-render this at a higher resolution??