What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sideways -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Strange, that after writing a few words about The Pink Panther on Blu-ray, and using the word "sideways" in reference to the photographic process, that we move along to a few words about...

I loved Sideways when it arrived in theaters, and when it arrived on DVD, its charm was still intact, but the look of the film was gone. Sideways has a beautiful, smooth, hazy look to it, which is difficult to capture on standard definition DVD.

Now on Blu-ray, I'm thrilled that Sideways looks as it did in theaters -- precisely like film.

Thank you, Fox Home Entertainment!

One anomaly that I continue to see is the use of a Fox Searchlight logo inconsistent with the quality and resolution of Blu-ray, as banding and digital problems are extremely evident. A higher resolution logo would be a nice addition for future releases.

Any discussion of the plot would create a damaged first viewing, so I won't go there. Suffice to say that whether your personal taste leans toward a nice merlot, a pinot noir, or even a huge shiraz, Sideways will be a film long remembered in every delicious detail.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yet another title to add. I can "gift" my SD copy to a friend of mine who is not planning a foray into the world of hi-def media (of any kind) anytime soon. You are also right to not give away plot points.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I love this film, glad to hear the BD is a worthwhile upgrade. Think I'll snag it at Fry's tonight.
I know exactly what you're talking about with that logo. It's not just a problem on disc - the artifacts are even more painfully obvious in theatrical viewings of Fox Searchlight films. C'mon, Fox, how hard would it be to re-render this at a higher resolution??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks