What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Shane -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
David_B_K said:
Speaking of day-for-night: I wonder if some here can esplain when and how the night-time filters are applied to such scenes? Are they added when prints are made? For instance, in the trailer for Shane, he is seen riding off in unfiltered daylight. I assume there are instructions as to where/when to use them?

So, I'm hoping someone can explain how day-for night filtering is done in films.
George Stevens Jr. mentions the day for night scenes in the commentary and says they were done chemically in post-production, since at the time, there were no film stocks fast enough to record actual night scenes.

I imagine getting just the right balance would have been an art, since shadows shouldn't have been too prominent, but the scene needed to be bright enough to see. This is where the Blu-ray strikes a gorgeous balance and we can see the film the way it actually was, not the muddy, dark DVD. I can actually believe that it's just a bright, moonlit western night.

Whenever I think of scenes like this, I think of Deliverance and the part where Jon Voight is climbing the rocks above the rapids. Those scenes were definitely shot during the day, but were made to look like night. Maybe for safety issues in that case. Not sure.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I found the night scenes, and the entire last part and climax of the film which is all set at night, just beautiful on my 60inch set, great blacks overall and the sky a very dark blue. Gorgeous. I plan to listen to the commentary next.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
As to whether Shane dies at the end of the movie is open to one's own desired interpretation but what I would like to understand is this - without doubt there is a strong attraction between the two but it does not go beyond their individual moral code of conduct (each finds in the other a missing piece of life which can, perhaps, never be theirs) but where does the idea that Shane and Miriam may have known each other earlier come from?

Is there a particular scene or sequence of exchanges etc...

My copy has just arrived and I shall be spinning it up this weekend - yeah!!!

Regards,

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
Of course Rose is dead at the end of Titanic - she went back to reunite with Jack forever on the ship...
Plus, it plays into what Jack says about how she would "die an old lady, warm in her bed". That being said, Jim Cameron does (rightly- in my opinion) leave it up to each viewer in his commentary.

EDIT: May I point out that Rose's 'spirit' hanging out for all eternity with a guy that she knew for 3 days totally sucks for her husband that she was presumably married to for decades. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I simply couldn't wait, so I took a two hour break late in the afternoon and watched Shane. It's beautiful, of course, far beyond the video and audio quality I've ever seen for the film. Loved every moment of it. Can't wait to experience the commentary and to watch it again just to drink in the beauty of this disc.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
TravisR said:
Plus, it plays into what Jack says about how she would "die an old lady, warm in her bed". That being said, Jim Cameron does (rightly- in my opinion) leave it up to each viewer in his commentary.

EDIT: May I point out that Rose's 'spirit' hanging out for all eternity with a guy that she knew for 3 days totally sucks for her husband that she was presumably married to for decades. :)
Hey now, nobody said you can't bear a torch for one...while bedding another.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
My impression was that Shane knew his wound was not mortal but probably crippling to his signature move, that spin and draw move we see him repeat time and again from the moment Joey snaps the rifle behind him at the very beginning of the movie. It would be, imo, a motif for the gunslinger who was always looking over his shoulder, aware that what he had done would follow him forever. In fact, he gets that wound while responding to Joey's warning in just that way, spinning to shoot back at a threat from behind. And it looks like wherever he was shot was going to effect his ability to do it again anytime soon, if at all. That meant he knew he was going to lose against that kind of attack soon enough, being more vulnerable to it now than ever before, not that he would necessarily die from the wound itself.

I think his ride through the graveyard and beyond without his pausing to regard it or even take notice sends the message that he isn't going to die from this wound, rather that he would survive it. And I believe his working knowledge of what is and isn't a mortal wound, is and isn't a serious injury is suggested by his accurate "prognosis" of Joe's injuries after their knockdown-drag-out fight over who will go into town to meet the hired gunman.

I just don't see why Shane would knowingly ride into the wilderness to die a horrible death all alone, essentially committing suicide in a particularly lingering and painful way. Because he felt bad about what he'd just done to that gang of killers, arsonists and thieves? There is nothing about Shane's character that suggests he was ever so cruel or unfair to someone who didn't richly deserve to be caught at the business end of his gun so as to prompt him to commit suicide over the guilt about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David_B_K said:
As many times as I've seen the movie, I'm not sure I ever noticed the graveyard at the end. Maybe I did, and it just didn't register. On the Blu-ray, I thought it had a chilling effect. It could mean what you suggest; it could mean Shane is leaving the killing behind. In any case, it needs to be seen and the Blu-ray shows it quite clearly.

Speaking of day-for-night: I wonder if some here can esplain when and how the night-time filters are applied to such scenes? Are they added when prints are made? For instance, in the trailer for Shane, he is seen riding off in unfiltered daylight. I assume there are instructions as to where/when to use them?

I believe some here have mentioned that there is a scene in the Blu-ray of The Egyptian that is supposed to be set at night but was rendered as day on the Blu-ray. I noticed several scenes in the Optimum Blu-ray of the 1973 The Three Musketeers that seemed to be lacking filters. In the scene where the chess game is occuring with live animals, the scene is way too blindingly bright and glaring. One feels the need to don sunglasses to watch it as it. Previous DVDs had some sort of filter applied which toned the effect down. And in the scene where D'Artagnan accosts the Duke of Buckingham and Constance in the street, this was always rendered as a nighttime scene, but on the Blu-ray it looks like afternoon sunshine.

So, I'm hoping someone can explain how day-for night filtering is done in films.
I believe they were added in the post film process as I've seen too many scenes that were night time scenes in the final film, but were day light scenes on publicity photos. They had to film night time scenes that way because of the film of that era lacked the film speed needed to film at night.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The Teton Range in Wyoming during my last camping trip there in 2006. It is a beautiful location.

wyoming16.jpg

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
From wikiDay for night, also known as nuit américaine ("American night"), is the name for cinematographic techniques used to simulate a night scene while filming in daylight. Some techniques use tungsten-balanced rather than daylight-balanced film stock or special blue filters; under-exposing the shot (usually in post-production) can create the illusion of darkness or moonlight.Dxdx Dodd,,z,xxxxxx c cxx. CHistorically, infrared movie film was used to achieve an equivalent look with black-and-white film.With digital post-production techniques it is also common to add or intensify glare and light shattering from light sources that would otherwise be less pronounced in daylight, such as windows of indoor lighting, outdoor artificial lights, headlights on cars and more.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Watching it now. Spectacular, simply spectacular. I've seen it numerous times on TCM and TNT's old "Our Favorite Movies" but this is like seeing it for the first time. This should be the standard for catalog releases...and yes, I'm talking to you MGM (The Great Escape) and Olive Films!

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
I watched this twice over the weekend. Once by myself and then once more with my dad yesterday. It's one of his all-time favorites so much so that I was nearly named after Alan Ladd's character.

Great blu-ray!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am still not clear as to when the darkening effects are applied to a film. Does the film's original negative simply exist with no darkening effects applied in day for night scenes? Is this why the night time effect is missing on some movies when they release the blu-ray?

I used to imagine that day for night involved shotting through a filter, as they would if they were shooting in an overly bright location like a desert. But apparently, the darkening occurs after the shooting?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David_B_K said:
I am still not clear as to when the darkening effects are applied to a film. Does the film's original negative simply exist with no darkening effects applied in day for night scenes? Is this why the night time effect is missing on some movies when they release the blu-ray?

I used to imagine that day for night involved shotting through a filter, as they would if they were shooting in an overly bright location like a desert. But apparently, the darkening occurs after the shooting?
George Stevens Jr. stated that which is why film notes have to be accurate and followed, but has noted some problems regarding that process due to issues with film notes.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
David_B_K said:

I don't know for sure, but i would imagine Shane's darkening effect wasn't done to the original negative, but from a first generation editing print from which theatrical prints were struck. At the very least, the trailer was done prior to the effect (not surprisingly), since we clearly see Shane depart in broad daylight in that version.

The portions that are intended to be DFN are (or were) underexposed in the lab, with certain colors like blue brought out more strongly via a chemical process to simulate moonlight.

Today of course there are film stocks that can shoot at night, as well as filters that are used directly over a camera's lens to darken a scene. That wouldn't have been possible in 1951. Today, it would be done for cost and convenience reasons more than anything else.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hmm...so I guess the films that seem to be missing their night-time treatments were scanned from the original negative without the instructions or the editing negative to guide them? Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks