What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Shane -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Mr Harris is right, this should be a thread to enjoy the majesty of Shane on Blu-ray as is. Can't wait to get my hands on this one, it looks so much better than the DVD.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
"Shane" is one of my favorite films of all time. The buzz just about everywhere is that this Blu-ray is about as close to perfection as a catalog title like this will ever get.

Considering its pricing point, this one is a steal.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I have a question about how the studios handle color when transferring 3-strip Technicolor to Blu (or any medium, actually). Obviously, the dye-transfer process had certain characteristics that made that color look so spectacular. I have a hard time believing that computer color can reproduce those same color characteristics. But according to RAH, the color in this BD is quite spectacular. (I haven't seen it yet.)

How do they do it?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
zoetmb said:
I have a question about how the studios handle color when transferring 3-strip Technicolor to Blu (or any medium, actually). Obviously, the dye-transfer process had certain characteristics that made that color look so spectacular. I have a hard time believing that computer color can reproduce those same color characteristics. But according to RAH, the color in this BD is quite spectacular. (I haven't seen it yet.)

How do they do it?
Google Warner's Ultra Resolution Process or watch the short documentaries on discs like The Wizard Of Oz or Gone With The Wind, i think some of the other studio's have their own names for this process.

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/News/2007/January/UltraResolutionProcessNominated.htm

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Just watched the Shane blu today on my 60 inch LED set. I've never seen Shane in a theater, only on VHS and TV. This reissue / remaster actually brought tears to my eyes during several sections. Absolutely beautiful and stunning. Almost hallucinatory in it's image quality. After seeing the 1:37 AR I realize they made the right decision to NOT crop it to 1:66. Also a great post-war movie, post Civil War that is. I like the simple menu with no menu music. Seriously, best reissue of a classic film I've seen since Lawrence of Arabia.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
I have the DVD. What is the line of dialog that is missing?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Well I thought this looked better ,but it dosn''t look as good as The Quiet Man BR to me, While I understand that's a totally Different movie
with a different type of color scheme The Night scenes sometime reminded me of that scene in Godfather 2 where they were so dark you
could hardly see what's on the screen, maybe if I had a bigger set that wouldn't be a problem By the way if no one else mentioned it before
this version is on Neflix now The Blue Ray menu design is the same as the Odd Couple, looks like they skipped the Java Crap

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peter Neski said:
Well I thought this looked better ,but it dosn''t look as good as The Quiet Man BR to me, While I understand that's a totally Different movie
with a different type of color scheme The Night scenes sometime reminded me of that scene in Godfather 2 where they were so dark you
could hardly see what's on the screen, maybe if I had a bigger set that wouldn't be a problem By the way if no one else mentioned it before
this version is on Neflix now The Blue Ray menu design is the same as the Odd Couple, looks like they skipped the Java Crap
I'm pretty sure RAH would take exception to that statement as do I.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Robert Crawford said:
I'm pretty sure RAH would take exception to that statement as do I.
It's just his opinion about what he's seeing, and he states it that way. Even if everyone else saw it differently, I don't see why he can't say what he saw.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Tom Logan said:
It's just his opinion about what he's seeing, and he states it that way. Even if everyone else saw it differently, I don't see why he can't say what he saw.
Except that anyone who actually knows The Quiet Man and what it should look like WOULD take exception and they'd be right to. The Quiet Man does not look good, either in color hues or basic transfer. Whereas I can now comment on Shane and say it is a stunning Blu-ray - five stars is right. I understand opinions and all that, but it's always best when opinions are based on knowledge of film and all I can tell you is, having had dye transfer prints of both films one looks correct and beautiful and one doesn't.

What was most surprising to me in Shane's transfer were the opticals, maybe the best rendered opticals I've seen on Blu-ray. No one should hesitate.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tom Logan said:
Nobody suggested he couldn't state his opinion! With that said, it doesn't mean that stated opinion couldn't be disagree with by others which is one of the reasons why this board exists to discuss various opinions and facts about home theater-related topics.

In case, you haven't noticed, we tend to have a lot of disagreements here. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got mine yesterday, but as I'm in the middle of watching a TV box set for review (Elementary), I couldn't take the time to watch it. Maybe this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Peter Neski said:
I'm surprised you found the night scenes too dark. I watched Shane last night and remarked to my wife that I thought the night scenes were particularly well handled. Night in movies is difficult to achieve. You want the audience to know it is night; but you have to be able to see what is happening. Usually, night scenes in movies look too light for me.

I thought Shane managed to do a great job of suggesting night. The night looked more like early evening or dawn to me; but that's about as effective as it can get without being too dark. Maybe your brightness settings need to be tweaked?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
first of all ,I wasn't talking about how right the Quiet Man Looked .Just that Shane correct or not just isn'tas impressive looking ,while RAH says both could have been better,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peter Neski said:
first of all ,I wasn't talking about how right the Quiet Man Looked .Just that Shane correct or not just isn'tas impressive looking ,while RAH says both could have been better,
I don't think RAH is suggesting any such thing as it pertains to this Shane BD as he's not sure of the minor problem he noted in his comments.
Back to that blanket. What's wrong with WB's presentation of Shane?What my eyes are seeing, is something tiny, and which may have existed on the original elements. In one of the final shots, with Alan Ladd riding away from the camera toward the mountains in the far background, there are small areas of snow in the peaks. Whether that snow was problematic within the exposures of the original negatives, or just some anomaly in the processing or compression of the final image is unknown to me. It simply looks a bit odd. And for those who care, that is what's potentially wrong with Shane. It may have always been that way.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
I watched Shane last night on my 55" plasma, didn't feel like firing up the projector.
WOW.
Perhaps there's no such thing as perfect but if this is imperfection, I'll take it every time.
Some of the scenes were 3D, stunning depth. so much so that I found myself being taken out of the movie and just drinking in the image.
I saw many things I never noticed before or forgot, like when Stonewall barges out of Grafton's bar smashing some of the slats in swinging door
and the zoom in of Ryker, Wilson etc., looking out through the door.
You can bet I'll be firing up the projector this weekend for another viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks