A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sea of Love -- in HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Sea of Love, from Universal, is a thriller that holds up nicely after 18 years.

As an HD release, it looks far superior to it's SD counterpart, but as a gritty film, shot with a generally underexposed look, isn't going to be anyone's HD test film.

And it isn't meant to be.

What it is, is a reasonably accurate representation of what director Harold Becker's work looked like on film.

A couple of points that I noted while considering this film.

Mr. Becker and Mr. Pacino are apparently moving forward toward a 2009 release of a remake of the 1955 caper film, Rififi. Rififi would be their third project together.

If one reads down into the list of credits -- 19th billing to be exact -- for Sea of Love, you'll note a character named "Black Guy."

"Black Guy" is played by a young actor named Samuel L. Jackson. It was Mr. Jackson's 8th appearance in a film.

Remarkably, he now has over 80 to his credit.

Sea of Love remains enjoyable entertainment, which is worth your 113 minutes.

Recommended.

RAH

2. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Thanks, as always, RAH!

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Sea of Love was beautifully photographed by one of the great camera operators, Ronnie Taylor, who along with Billy Williams won an Oscar for Gandhi. I had actually forgotten that he shot Sea of Love; I haven't seen it since the early 90s, but I recall that it has a very dark style. Ronnie also shot Dario Argento's, Opera (1987) which has some astounding camera moves and highly imaginative lighting.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thanks for those few reassuring words Robert. After reading a couple of very unflattering reviews I was shying away from getting this HD-DVD despite my affinity for the film. Now, I think I'll snag a copy.