What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Salem's Lot -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The first itineration of Stephen King's Salem's Lot, hit TV screens in November of 1979, and it was his first work arrive on that medium.

Although Carrie, which had a theatrical release three years previous, had given the non-reading public, some concept of what was to be expected, Salem's Lot still caught many viewers unaware of what they were going to see.

And it was, especially for TV, a downright frightening experience.

The film itself, as created by WB Television, was an interesting casting melange of current TV actors, along with some of Hollywood's great talents.

Headlining Starsky and Hutch's David Soul and the great James Mason, it gave us Lance Kerwin, Julie Cobb, George Dzundza, Bonnie Bedelia, Ed Flanders, and Fred Willard...

along with the likes of Lew Ayres, Marie Windsor and Elisha Cook, Jr.

Directed by Tobe Hooper, it's definitely more TV than feature, but when James Mason enters that wonderful old house on the hill, audiences were enthralled.

Warner Home has gone back to the basics to present Salem's Lot on Blu-ray, and the final result is nothing less than astounding. Retaining it's original broadcast aspect ratio, we're given the opportunity to view the production as never before, direct (with the exception of a single reel) from the camera negative.

A dazzlingly, perfect presentation.

From a historical perspective, there were initial attempts by WB to turn the book into a feature, until it was realized that a mini-series would better fit the subject.

The project originally screened as two two-hour broadcasts, and was re-cut to a single three-hour version a year later. Foreign territories received a 112-minute theatrical cut in 1980.

Other cuts include different and alternate scenes, but this release is the original.

A new version was released in 2004, with Rob Lowe and Donald Sutherland.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sorry this is a dupe post. Hit "reply" instead of "edit."

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Personally I prefer this format over the earlier DVD, as it combines parts one and two seamlessly and makes it feel more theatrical, eliminating the part 1 end credits and the part 2 opening credits. I know others would have preferred the two-part format.

As for image and sound quality on the new disc, I am more than pleased...both are absolutely awesome. As for performances, the weak link for me is the lead actor David Soul. He just seems rather bland and wooden playing an ambitious author researching a house from which, he discovers, emanate horrors beyond imagination, perhaps even his own. All I can think of when I see him is his sappy hit song from the 70's, "Don't Give Up On Us." Fortunately, James Mason and the rest pretty much make up for that deficit, though.

Barlow is indeed about the most fearsome vampire since Max Shrek's NOSFERATU, and the resemblance between them must be deliberate. Some of the scenes are as scary as network t.v. would have been able to allow back then. Very fine release. Glad it finally made it into my home after a whole bunch of shipping screw-ups.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This release looks fabulous, but after watching it as part of the HTF 17th Annual Scary Movie Challenge I was surprised, and disappointed, at how badly it has aged for me. More corny than scary with the exception of Mason, who comes off as wonderfully crafty and menacing. Barlow is a caricature and not very frightening at all IMO.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The bitching and moaning about the end of part one credits and the recap and redundant part two credits is hilarious, and not in a good way. :) What they're basically saying, these folks, is that this release is cut by whatever number of minutes that repetition represents and then all these other folks come on and say they're not buying it because it's MISSING SCENES. Honestly.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The bitching and moaning about the end of part one credits and the recap and redundant part two credits is hilarious, and not in a good way. :) What they're basically saying, these folks, is that this release is cut by whatever number of minutes that repetition represents and then all these other folks come on and say they're not buying it because it's MISSING SCENES. Honestly.
It's too bad the blu-ray spec does not allow for "branching" or something similar so both versions would be available with the click of a button or two ;)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess better than moaning about not being able to get the movie after 2 weeks of it being non-existent at most places. I still don't
really understand Amazon listing it as releasing 4 weeks after official street date (same with IT and Cat's Eye)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I guess better than moaning about not being able to get the movie after 2 weeks of it being non-existent at most places. I still don't
really understand Amazon listing it as releasing 4 weeks after official street date (same with IT and Cat's Eye)

That was worth bitching about, for sure - absolutely outrageous. I finally got it and IT, but can't seem to find Cat's Eye anywhere - I've never seen the latter and would like to.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
David Soul is perfectly fine in the part. He plays a guy who grew up in the town, witnesed something horrible left town, became a writerand comes back to face his demons. There is nothing in that, that was beyond his range and he gives a solid performace.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That was worth bitching about, for sure - absolutely outrageous. I finally got it and IT, but can't seem to find Cat's Eye anywhere - I've never seen the latter and would like to.

Bizarre for sure

Amoeba,com has it listed as shipping -- $15 FS

B&N several stores in the LA area have in in stock (not sure your location is current) though not online for shipping. It's 14.99 in store, but there are some 15% off code that can be used.

Best Buy is supposed to have a new display set up for Halloween this Sunday, but not all stores get the display and I;m not sure if all stores will get all 3 or just 2 out of 3 like my store told me (said they had IT and Salems Lot coming)

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
I ordered from Barnes & Noble at $8.44 (along with something else for the free shipping). It's en route.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I ordered from Barnes & Noble at $8.44 (along with something else for the free shipping). It's en route.

Was that Cat's Eye or Salem;s Lot? My SL came today -- actually delivered Friday for $7.20 since I was a member and I ahd the other 2 for $10 I picked up in store the first weekend. Cat's Eye was only instock briefly and went back out again within 12 hrs last week and where SL was teh item in hiding the first couple weeks it now seems to be Cats Eye that is the hardest to find actually in stock.

I have seen these long ago and read a couple of the books even longer, but my son is the real horror buff so these will be mostly for him.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

There's a handful of people who claim not to buy a BD because it doesn't contain a slipcover, so nothing surprises me these days.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
For the record Salem's Lot is only missing credits but IT is missing credits and 3 scenes that occur at the end and beginning of part 1 and 2. Both of these are extremely tedious to try and sit through in one viewing. There is a good reason why they were shown in 2 parts and they work far better that way. When was the last time you saw a 3 hour and 10 minute horror movie at the theaters. I personally don't support cut films so "IT" is a definite no sale. I will probably eventually get Salem's Lot but the missing credits will always make it a flawed release for me.
Personally I don't get the bitching and Moaning over waiting an extra 2 weeks to buy something that you will own for the rest of your life. Is there really nothing else to watch.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Personally I don't get the bitching and moaning over waiting an extra 2 weeks to buy something that you will own for the rest of your life. Is there really nothing else to watch.

Might have been a *bit* harsh...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks