What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Rio Grande -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mark-P said:
I detest window-boxed credits as much as anyone else, though I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The studios listened when enthusiasts demanded lossless audio and now just about every new Blu-ray release includes lossless audio, even movies with aged optical soundtracks that may not benefit from it. I think the reason the studios still feel the need for windowboxing is that there are still a lot of CRT TVs with more than 5% overscan in use. I wish they'd just say "screw 'em - let the titles get clipped on Grandma's TV!" Anyway here's hoping a change is coming.
As someone who has one of these 'Grandma's TV', I'm not really happy about this type of comment. I have a perfectly good HDTV that is only eight years old. It does have non-modifiable overscan. I also am not in the best shape, financially, and am looking at loosing my job within the next month.
If you are saying that only the rich and current should be allowed to enjoy movies, well that isn't an attitude I think HTF should endorse.
David

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
David Weicker said:
As someone who has one of these 'Grandma's TV', I'm not really happy about this type of comment. I have a perfectly good HDTV that is only eight years old. It does have non-modifiable overscan. I also am not in the best shape, financially, and am looking at loosing my job within the next month.
If you are saying that only the rich and current should be allowed to enjoy movies, well that isn't an attitude I think HTF should endorse.
David
You can't enjoy a movie if the credits are slightly clipped by overscan? What about the rest of the movie, which hasn't been windowboxed?
If I were you I would focus my efforts on finding a new job rather than being offended by an innocuous comment about tube TVs on a home theater message board.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I hope you will review the upcoming newly restored master of cinema blu ray that was just announced. I dont know if you review region 2 releases.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Olive isn't the one cheating consumers by not cleaning these titles up. It's Viacom/Paramount who owns them, and ultimately bears responsibility for the failure to deliver a higher quality product. Olive is only the distributor and has little to no control as to how the films they're getting from them is handled from a QC standpoint. If you want to point the finger of blame, do it to the owners of these films!!!

This is not true at all. Kino lorber pays to get hundreds of universal titles restored. Olive is way to cheap to do that. This is the reason that kino is thriving right now and olive is at death's door. Kino does not do this to all their titles but the ones that will sell alot more than 5 copies they do. A 1931 film skippy they refused to get because it needed restoration. A very good call as i never heard of it and neither has anyone else.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This is from Eureka's press release:
NEW REMASTER OF THE FILM completed by Paramount's preservation department in 2019

No mention of whether it's a 4K master. I just hope that Paramount updates their US digital releases with the new master. At this point I'd rather just pick up the new master on iTunes rather than buy yet another Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is not true at all. Kino lorber pays to get hundreds of universal titles restored. Olive is way to cheap to do that. This is the reason that kino is thriving right now and olive is at death's door. Kino does not do this to all their titles but the ones that will sell alot more than 5 copies they do. A 1931 film skippy they refused to get because it needed restoration. A very good call as i never heard of it and neither has anyone else.
You do realize that particular post was made about eight years ago so circumstances could have changed. Furthermore, the person that ran Olive back then is the same person that is now with Kino. Perhaps, he has learned his lesson from that prior time with Olive and again, circumstances might have changed regarding the partnership between studios and their partnership with companies like Kino.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is from Eureka's press release:
NEW REMASTER OF THE FILM completed by Paramount's preservation department in 2019

No mention of whether it's a 4K master. I just hope that Paramount updates their US digital releases with the new master. At this point I'd rather just pick up the new master on iTunes rather than buy yet another Blu-ray.
I just did a quick check on iTunes. The opening credits are still window boxed, but for some strange reason the video looks cleaner to me than what I remembered the last time I viewed it on iTunes. I'll try to compare the Olive Blu-ray to it this weekend to see if I noticed any differences between the two as my memory might be faulty about the video.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
You do realize that particular post was made about eight years ago so circumstances could have changed. Furthermore, the person that ran Olive back then is the same person that is now with Kino. Perhaps, he has learned his lesson from that prior time with Olive and again, circumstances might have changed regarding the partnership between studios and their partnership with companies like Kino.
No i didn't realize a single one of those points when i made that post. But your points have been taken

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just did a quick check on iTunes. The opening credits are still window boxed, but for some strange reason the video looks cleaner to me than what I remembered the last time I viewed it on iTunes. I'll try to compare the Olive Blu-ray to it this weekend to see if I noticed any differences between the two as my memory might be faulty about the video.
The Eureka Blu-ray isn't due for another 2 months, so I don't expect iTunes would have the new transfer yet, assuming they ever do get it, but one can hope.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Eureka Blu-ray isn't due for another 2 months, so I don't expect iTunes would have the new transfer yet, assuming they ever do get it, but one can hope.
Another question is whether somebody releases it here in States. I've seen Paramount upgrade some of their digitals prior to physical media releases.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I will buy the forthcoming Eureka disc of Rio Grande. I'm very pleased about this because I didn't buy the Olive release.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Interesting review of the UK Eureka Blu-ray release of Rio Grande on Blu-ray.com. The reviewer says "Paramount Pictures did not do a proper restoration of it". Great film and I did purchased the Olive release a few months ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks