What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Rio Grande -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
RAH,
i know that you probably can't divulge what this title is at the moment, but that post has me intrigued, and i wait to see what comes out of this....., 1:19, JVS/MD would be phenomenal fingers crossed that what is running thru my mind would be happening

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray#post_3966436
Whatever title RAH is talking about, I can't wait for it!

I wouldn't get too excited. Very important film, but hardly the film one might take to the prom.

Also, just making it presentable has been a task.

In the end, the release will be as high a quality as we can reach without going overboard.

This is one of those cases where scratches, and minus and positive density dirt are the norm.

The point that I was attempting to make, was that you take something as far as feasible.

With luck we'll have it out before the end of the year.

RAH

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Robert Harris said:
Some of this comes down to respect for the film being released, along with that for the eventual consumer.
I believe this hits the nail right on the head.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robert Harris said:
I'm currently working on a small project to release an early sound film via a favored distributor.
That certainly got my attention. Has this film been previously released on DVD?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
JoHud said:
That certainly got my attention. Has this film been previously released on DVD?
Like I'm sure Mr. Harris is going to play 20 questions about a project he's not allowed to talk about. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray#post_3966523
He's ALREADY discussing it with us...he's just not allowed to divulge the title!!!
Thank you.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
In regards to windowboxing credits - this will continue to be the case as long as the current "title safe" area standard goes unrevised. This is an industry issue more than any one specific studio's issue.

To reject the disc in the end based on the windowboxing seems overly biased on your part, Robert. You've endorsed multiple Warner releases that have windowboxed credits.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray#post_3966617
In regards to windowboxing credits - this will continue to be the case as long as the current "title safe" area standard goes unrevised. This is an industry issue more than any one specific studio's issue.

To reject the disc in the end based on the windowboxing seems overly biased on your part, Robert. You've endorsed multiple Warner releases that have windowboxed credits.

Window boxing is no longer a viable property, as digital doesn't create the playback problem.

That plus dirt equated to a 3.5, and I see no reason to give a recommendation, as both of those problem would have been very easily fixed.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray#post_3966715

Window boxing is no longer a viable property, as digital doesn't create the playback problem.

That plus dirt equated to a 3.5, and I see no reason to give a recommendation, as both of those problem would have been very easily fixed.

RAH

To be fair, you have recommended other titles like Fort Apache which you gave the same video grade which had window boxing. I'm not saying that Fort Apache didn't look better than Rio Grande with less dirt, but you gave both the same video grade of 3.5 and the same window boxing.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray/30#post_3966731

To be fair, you have recommended other titles like Fort Apache which you gave the same video grade which had window boxing. I'm not saying that Fort Apache didn't look better than Rio Grande with less dirt, but you gave both the same video grade of 3.5 and the same window boxing.
Robert,

Neither should have had window boxing, but as time goes on, that attribute either denotes an older transfer or an unfortunate dedication to an unnecessary checklist of what a transfer should be.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray/30#post_3966753
Robert,

Neither should have had window boxing, but as time goes on, that attribute either denotes an older transfer or an unfortunate dedication to an unnecessary checklist of what a transfer should be.
I'm not arguing those points!

Crawdaddy

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray/30#post_3966753

I don't disagree that the standard needs to be adjusted for newer monitors with far less overscan, but it seems that you have a pointed bias against Olive and use them as your go-to whipping boys of late. Paramount got no flak from you whatsoever for windowboxing the credits on Wings, which was a brand-new restoration which included that seemingly grave offense. It just seems like an unfair double-standard.

I guarantee there will be future releases by Warner with windowboxed credits. I'll be interested to see if they get the rejection treatment due to it going forward.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Brandon Conway said:
I don't disagree that the standard needs to be adjusted for newer monitors with far less overscan, but it seems that you have a pointed bias against Olive and use them as your go-to whipping boys of late. Paramount got no flak from you whatsoever for windowboxing the credits on Wings, which was a brand-new restoration which included that seemingly grave offense. It just seems like an unfair double-standard.
I guarantee there will be future releases by Warner with windowboxed credits. I'll be interested to see if they get the rejection treatment due to it going forward.
A fair comment re: window boxing, for which I've begun to deduct 0.5
I have no bias toward Olive, merely disappointment that they seem unwilling to go the extra yard toward releasing something special when they have the ability to do so.
I've not seen many of their titles to date, and need to view more.
Re. Wings, I'd have to recheck the main titles, which I do recall were WBoxed. Seem to remember images being very tight to either sides or top/bottom
The way that Wboxing is dealt with, must take into account current monitor status, which as you know, has little or no overscan with monitors past few years, as viewers upgrade.
Point being that I'm knocking scores down for new releases, and may revisit at least last few months. Numerical scores, at least for me, have been recent additions for film based titles. Digitally mastered titles receive no scores, as cinema files should equate to final BD.
Moving forward, since HD masters should be untainted, it should not be a big deal to pull original files and replace affected titles.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Discussing Main title sequences, the concept of a "safe area" really came into play with television. Silent films could have titles and inter-titles reaching toward the edges of a frame a bit more than films of the television age.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray/30#post_3966834
A fair comment re: window boxing, for which I've begun to deduct 0.5
I have no bias toward Olive, merely disappointment that they seem unwilling to go the extra yard toward releasing something special when they have the ability to do so.
I've not seen many of their titles to date, and need to view more.
Re. Wings, I'd have to recheck the main titles, which I do recall were WBoxed. Seem to remember images being very tight to either sides or top/bottom
The way that Wboxing is dealt with, must take into account current monitor status, which as you know, has little or no overscan with monitors past few years, as viewers upgrade.
Point being that I'm knocking scores down for new releases, and may revisit at least last few months. Numerical scores, at least for me, have been recent additions for film based titles. Digitally mastered titles receive no scores, as cinema files should equate to final BD.
Moving forward, since HD masters should be untainted, it should not be a big deal to pull original files and replace affected titles.
I can understand going forward as you demand higher standards for future releases, but to go back and change your scores on past titles after some people might have bought those releases based on your rating is not fair to them.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray/30#post_3966857
I can understand going forward as you demand higher standards for future releases, but to go back and change your scores on past titles after some people might have bought those releases based on your rating is not fair to them.

Crawdaddy

Robert,

We're discussing 1.37 releases, to which I've assigned a numerical grade over the past several months. Not many films involved here, and an annotation can be made. I really doubt that any who desired to own a specific title would be put off by window boxing. The point again, is that it's just no longer necessary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/323213/a-few-words-about-rio-grande-in-blu-ray/30#post_3966862

Robert,

We're discussing 1.37 releases, to which I've assigned a numerical grade over the past several months. Not many films involved here, and an annotation can be made. I really doubt that any who desired to own a specific title would be put off by window boxing. The point again, is that it's just no longer necessary.
I'm talking about those people that won't buy a certain release unless it got your recommendation. There are some people like that and have posted their comments to that effect. Your point about window boxing no longer being necessary is well taken so I fully support you deducting some of your score for releases going forward with that issue.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I detest window-boxed credits as much as anyone else, though I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The studios listened when enthusiasts demanded lossless audio and now just about every new Blu-ray release includes lossless audio, even movies with aged optical soundtracks that may not benefit from it. I think the reason the studios still feel the need for windowboxing is that there are still a lot of CRT TVs with more than 5% overscan in use. I wish they'd just say "screw 'em - let the titles get clipped on Grandma's TV!" Anyway here's hoping a change is coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks