What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Repulsion -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"I think we are having rabbit."

Although I haven't be keeping track, I believe that the last quality home video release of Roman Polanski's Repulsion was the Criterion laserdisc fifteen years ago. Having purportedly fallen in the public domain, PD vendors had their way with Mr. Polanski's low budget masterpiece until the GATT Treaty changed the rules. Poor copies can still easily be found.

Criterion's new Blu-ray of Repulsion is everything that it should be, short of the inclusion of some material originally found on the original laserdisc. Image-wise, the release is a revelation, as cinematographer Gilbert Taylor's blacks may now be properly reproduced outside of original 35mm prints. Where the audio for the laser was derived from an original three-stripe mag, the new audio for the Blu-ray comes from a 35mm track print and is uncompressed. The image is a combination of OCN, fine grain master and dupe negative, and is properly presented in 1.66:1 aspect ratio.

What matters most however, is not precisely where it element fit together toward the creation of the Blu-ray, but rather that it looks superb.

Finally fans of the film, and there are many, can own a superlative home video version that it second to none.

For those unaware, Repulsion is a psychological horror film about a young lady played by Catherine Deneuve who has some idiosyncrasies and problems relating to others.

For those who like to occasionally dine on rabbit and have not seen Repulsion before, prepare to do without for the foreseeable future.

Criterion's Repulsion will be available July 28, and quality-wise is safe for pre-order.

Recommended.

RAH

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
There was a region 2 DVD of Repulsion - proper ratio, enhanced, and not bad at all. Since it's one of my favorite films I will, of course, be buying the Criterion Blu-Ray in a couple of weeks and am very much looking forward to it, even though I've been a little disappointed in transfers you've recommended before - but that's all subjective anyway. Can't wait.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
A brilliantly unsettling movie--the slow first half lulls you into a false sense of security, then you get hit with the terrifying second half. Glad it's getting a good treatment on blu.

Now where's Polanski's Macbeth...

--Jefferson Morris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks