What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Raging Bull -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The arrival on Blu-ray of Raging Bull, Martin Scorsese's brilliant bio of middleweight boxing champ Jake La Motta, is a cause for celebration.

With its original UA logo intact, this MGM release via Fox shows what can be done when there is a desire to replicate the look of film on Blu-ray.

The end result is superb.

Great film.

Beautiful transition to home video on Blu-ray.

Highly Recommended!

RAH

Rob LoVerde

Agent
Real Name
Rob LoVerde
Thank you, Mr. Harris. Here's hoping we also get a quality release of "Taxi Driver" on Blu-ray!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Actually, neither of those logos should be on the BD.

They still used the Transamerica "T" until the company's sale to MGM in 1981.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I got both Raging Bull, Die Hard IV and the original Pink Panther in a 3 for 2 sale and it looks like it was indeed money well spent
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

While I understand that there generally is a deplorable lack of the original logos with many releases it would be nice to have a separate thread for it in order to keep track of the issue for those interested.

As this seems a problem with several studios this could be brought up with studio folks when the opportunity arises. In that case it would be nice to be able to point them to a separate thread that identifies the issues for a number of releases.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In regard to logos, my point was less to the specific incarnation, and more to giving credit to the original distribution entity.

Fortune

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
I must have gotten a faulty disc unless this is what everyone else is encountering.

My Blu-ray comes with a discolored vertical strip just inside the right hand side that is visible throughout all related features on the disc including the menu screen and the film itself.

I would imagine I need to possibly contact Fox or MGM, but was curious if anyone else had encountered this.

Thanks.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I noticed it too. I was scared at first that my screen was burned in, although I couldn't see it at the other side of the screen, and I haven't been playing a lot of 1.33:1 movies. I'm glad it wasn't my screen, but what is it then?

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I'm sure hoping that RAH will do one of his A Few Words About reviews on the 4k UHD Blu-ray of "Raging Bull". Since I'm certain that many HTF members, besides myself, want to know if Robert would rate Criterion's UHD BD release of RB as being a significant enough PQ improvement over the Blu-ray RAH called "superb", so that HTF folks with limited resources for film buying, like me, would be likely to notice a boost in quality, that makes upgrading from the fine Blu-ray worthwhile.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I won't speak for RAH. Speaking for myself only, the Blu-ray was "superb" for its day, but the UHD is an appreciable upgrade. The fight scenes, in particular, benefit from finer shadow detail in the HDR grade. Criterion also blessed the UHD with a very healthy bitrate, so compression artifacts are not an issue, grain appears a bit more natural, and the entire film is a bit sharper. It would not be my choice to demo the benefits of UHD over blu-ray, but I am still happy I upgraded.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I won't speak for RAH. Speaking for myself only, the Blu-ray was "superb" for its day, but the UHD is an appreciable upgrade. The fight scenes, in particular, benefit from finer shadow detail in the HDR grade. Criterion also blessed the UHD with a very healthy bitrate, so compression artifacts are not an issue, grain appears a bit more natural, and the entire film is a bit sharper. It would not be my choice to demo the benefits of UHD over blu-ray, but I am still happy I upgraded.
I’ll add to that, the original 4-track Dolby Stereo mix (as DTS-HDMA 2.0) instead of the half-arsed 5.1 from the BD.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

The Blu-ray also had a very faint vertical bar on the right side of the image. In some low APL moments, it was annoying.

The UHD BD is an appreciable upgrade and feels like a truly definitive presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks