What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pride and Prejudice -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The 1995 UK mini-series -- all 5 hours and 27 minutes of it -- is a very high quality production of one of Jane Austen's masterworks.

Shot in super 16mm, with audio originally in Dolby stereo, the entire series is a joy to both the eye and ear.

Quality of the new Blu-ray is superb. There was an earlier variant, and I've not checked the difference.

Directed by Simon Langdon, dramatized by Andrew Davies (Bleak House, Mr. Selfridge), and with a score by the brilliant Carl Davis, the series shines.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Highly recommended.

RAH

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
I was forced to watch this in school on VHS and I recall being the only person who enjoyed it (and the book!). I bought the UK Blu-ray a few years ago and was still mightily impressed.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I've always enjoyed the BBC mini-series version from 1985, with Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul. That version gets the period and manners more precise than any other. The classic scene with Lizzy and Darcy at odds is portrayed supremely.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
The earlier blu was pretty darn good. I for one had never imagined you could get that quality of image out of 16mm. The discs also included a brief, reasonably informative chat from the technician who supervised the restoration. Did they go back and do it all over? Or is this the same work simply re-packaged?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Excellent miniseries. In fact, I'd call it one of the finest adaptation of a novel ever made.

Given that it was shot in 16mm, and originally shown 4:3, it looks quite good in this reframed widescreen presentation at 1.75:1.

I also recommend it highly.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
benbess said:
Given that it was shot in 16mm, and originally shown 4:3, it looks quite good in this reframed widescreen presentation at 1.75:1.
It was shot Super16, and as demonstrated in the below caps, we're gaining much more on the sides than we are losing top and bottom:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews44/pride_and_prejudice_blu-ray.htm

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was originally composed wide going by the Blu-ray framing.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks