A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pride and Prejudice -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The 1995 UK mini-series -- all 5 hours and 27 minutes of it -- is a very high quality production of one of Jane Austen's masterworks.

Shot in super 16mm, with audio originally in Dolby stereo, the entire series is a joy to both the eye and ear.

Quality of the new Blu-ray is superb. There was an earlier variant, and I've not checked the difference.

Directed by Simon Langdon, dramatized by Andrew Davies (Bleak House, Mr. Selfridge), and with a score by the brilliant Carl Davis, the series shines.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Highly recommended.

RAH

2. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    I was forced to watch this in school on VHS and I recall being the only person who enjoyed it (and the book!). I bought the UK Blu-ray a few years ago and was still mightily impressed.

3. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Stanley
    I've always enjoyed the BBC mini-series version from 1985, with Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul. That version gets the period and manners more precise than any other. The classic scene with Lizzy and Darcy at odds is portrayed supremely.

David_B_K likes this.
  4. theonemacduff

theonemacduff Second Unit

Jon Paul
    The earlier blu was pretty darn good. I for one had never imagined you could get that quality of image out of 16mm. The discs also included a brief, reasonably informative chat from the technician who supervised the restoration. Did they go back and do it all over? Or is this the same work simply re-packaged?

5. Tom Logan

Tom Logan Stunt Coordinator

I'd also be interested whether this new bluray is an improvement over the original.

6. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    Excellent miniseries. In fact, I'd call it one of the finest adaptation of a novel ever made.

Given that it was shot in 16mm, and originally shown 4:3, it looks quite good in this reframed widescreen presentation at 1.75:1.

I also recommend it highly.

7. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    It was shot Super16, and as demonstrated in the below caps, we're gaining much more on the sides than we are losing top and bottom:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews44/pride_and_prejudice_blu-ray.htm

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was originally composed wide going by the Blu-ray framing.

benbess likes this.
  8. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Super16mm has a native aspect ratio of 1.66:1, so both 1.33:1 and 1.78:1 are cropped, with 1.78:1 being less so.

benbess likes this.