What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pretty Woman -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Pretty Woman, from Disney's Touchstone Pictures is an odd release, but not necessarily in a negative way. The film appears to have been gently shorn of grain in certain scenes, but not in others. It has an occasionally "clean" finish to it that never seems to be bothersome, and certainly never looks plastic. But I can't help but wonder why the cleansing was necessary.

Some shots have extremely heavy grain running in darker areas, and yet look exceedingly clean and grainless in others.

Pretty Woman is a sweet film that has held up nicely, but with few surprises. Even two decades ago, did any viewer really believe that the two leads wouldn't end up together in the end? So many films have gone in this direction that very little could be new.

As Disney continues to insist upon their own very special means of dating DVD releases, Pretty Woman is a 2009 Blu-ray release. I still fail to understand what deep fear the folks at Disney have allowing the public to know what year a film was originally released. In this case - 1990.

A trouble free Blu-ray release of the original theatrical release (not the extended version) a popular film.

RAH

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's a sweet film, indeed, with a sort of basic innocence that almost looks amazing now.
Worth to buy next to the two versions I already own? Have to give it another thought before deciding that.

Thanks for the clear opinion, RAH!

Cees

Robert George

Screenwriter

Cees,

I have had all the previous versions of this film and it has never looked that good, IMO. The new Blu-ray is a considerable upgrade in quality, but still obviously the same film element. While not exactly "eye candy", the new transfer at least alleviates the most distracting video problems of the previous releases and as often as my wife runs this movie, that is improvement enough for me ;).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert,
That's good to hear because I was debating on whether to buy this title or not.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And as I noted in my review, Disney is offering the $10 rebate certificate in every package. (SIN CITY will also be in this offering.)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Heh, heh. Sold.

Obi, it's not just my wife. I still have a weak spot for Julia.
Even if I'm more waiting for the (temporarily?) postponed My Best Friend's Wedding on BD (if it was for the hilarious intro alone!).

Cees

Robert George

Screenwriter

Since I gave up my Man-card years ago, I can admit I like this bit of fluff as well. Another Julia guilty pleasure is Notting Hill. I enjoy that one as much or more than PW.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Here too.
We must be using the same scale.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Cees

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
[embarrassing moment time] This was one of the first film I ever watched at the theater by myself. I think this just came out when my parents agreed I could be dropped off alone. My friends and I ended up watching this five weekends in a row because we all ended up getting a crush on Robert and we wanted to see that brief bit of nudity. We probably snuck into the movie at least seven other times just to see that brief second. Yeah, we were going through puberty. [/end embarrassing moment]

I haven't seen this in years but will probably give it a rental.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Is this release in fact the original theatrical version? This was one of the first movies my wife and I saw together when we were dating and we both are not fans of the extended cut on the DVD.

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like it is the theatrical version, according to Robert and all of the running time listings I've seen from other reviews. I'm SO glad, I was never a fan of the extended cut. I know this movie so well and all of those scenes just stuck out like sore thumbs. The worst being when they go back to that bar and face that pimp, Carlos. Definitely picking this up!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, an extended version doesn't necessarily equals the best version of most films. For the most part, the original version is usually the winner in that regard.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks