What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Point Break (2015) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When Kathryn Bigelow directed Point Break back in 1991, the final result was one of those films that you just had to go along with, as some terrific action sequences aside, it didn't make a great deal of sense in the real world in which it purportedly existed.

It has a following, so for its 25th anniversary, rather than a new Blu-ray with some nice extras, we received a brand new film. This one, also entitled Point Break, and with the same general storyline, has huge undercurrents of the mystical, and the intent to return things to the earth and right wrongs perpetrated by mankind.

Can any of the stunts pulled off actually be performed? How long can people actually hold their breath, while deep diving?

Probably the less said about the storyline, the better.

Casting is interesting, but I prefer the original, inclusive of Lori Petty's quirky female lead.

The film was shot with an Arri Alexa XT Plus in 2.8k, with an output via DI to 2k.

The new 4k release mit HDR looks like precisely what it is. An uprez.

For those who like to bathe in teals, ambers and dark blues, the HDR will be a treat.

I could have done without it.

HDR seems to has taken off, with immediacy, something akin to early power windows on cars. Kids had to constantly push that button, lowering and raising. Same thing with HDR. It seems that few are capable of using High Dynamic Range, without giving the film an otherworldly appearance.

I'm not a fan of the overkill.

That point made, the film looks the way the filmmakers wish it to, so no argument regarding image ratings.

Sound, which was originally Dolby 7.1, is now DTS, and it works just fine.

Fans of the film should be pleased.

As an aside, I did like the end titles.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD 7.1)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks