What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Planet Earth -- in HD & BD (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Banding can be seen if the image (as finally displayed) has less different colours to its disposal than is necessary to see smooth transitions from one part of a smooth surface to another part.

Of the next two images, the second shows severe banding (because it had to use a palette of only 128 different colours). Specifically note the water and the sky:

Cees

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That's NOt what I was seeing. Hmm...

Although I do travel over that bridge 3 times a week.;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks, Tim. :)
Made it back in 2005 when my wife and I visited New York.

Tino,

:laugh:
In a movie you'd see the moving version of that phenomenon, which generally makes it more easy to spot.

Cees

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I just received my HD DVD copy of this. After watching much of the first episode, I have to say that the program is simply amazing. Well worth the money. I can't wait to see the rest of it.

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator
I got the series on hd-dvd and I noticed some noise in the picture especially during a waterfall scene on the first disc.
I was surprised to see the noise.

Anybody else notice that?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Kind of off-topic, kind of related... Has anyone had issues with "floaters" in this set? I had heard some "horror" stories about it, and, sure enough, my Blu-ray Disc copy had "floaters". A couple were scratched, which is a first for BD, but certainly not for HD DVD.

When it comes to the scratches on my BD, it almost looks as if the discs were scratched before the coating was applied, which I suppose it entirely possible. Anyway, I am very anxious to watch this program, but I must say between this and scratched up copies of The Game, the lack of QC at the HD optical media plants is taking some of the enjoyment out of the hobby for me at the moment.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Are you saying there's some "conspiracy" with the BD format that puts scratches on the discs before they package and ship them? Nonsense.

In this particular case the center spindles are tiny and even the slightest bit of motion dislodges the discs from them- I can do it just by slightly tilting the case, then you have essentially the two center discs floating around. Luckily mine arrived not too badly scratched. Annoying, yes, but little more. This is a serious design flaw and there is no way a set costing upwards of $100MSRP should have gotten past quality assurance with this type of problem.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

lol No, I'm not saying that at all. All I was saying was that two of my discs had some scratches on them that did not wipe off like the only other BD "floater" I had, which was Full Metal Jacket. Therefore, I wondered if it was possible that the discs were scratched before they had they're coating applied. Are you saying that isn't possible?

It occurs to me that people will get worked up about anything around here, and it almost seems as though people are looking for excuses to pick fights anymore. If you were seriously confused about the intentions of my post, my apologies, but I am not some raving, AVS, format fanboy either way (even though I currently lean blu).

Edited to add:

I have changed the sentence: "When it comes to the scratches on these BD, it almost looks as if the discs were scratched before the coating was applied, which I suppose it entirely possible." to "When it comes to the scratches on my BD, it almost looks as if the discs were scratched before the coating was applied, which I suppose it entirely possible.", as this is most likely the source of the 'confusion'.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well you did say...
"A couple were scratched, which is a first for BD, but certainly not for HD DVD."
i think that is what prompted the previous response to your previous post.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Well, that has been my experience (that I have received more scratched HD DVDs than BD), so what I am supposed to say? Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough that I was speaking from my personal experience.

And if that is the comment that spurned the 'conspiracy' reply that doesn't make any sense to me given that the response appeared be to that of someone accusing me of spreading FUD about BD rather than HD DVD.

Anyway, my point still stands, which is that everyone seems uber touchy these days.

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator
So.... to get back to my question: Has anyone noticed some video noise during the waterfall scene on the first disc?

Just struck me as strange.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I can't wait to order this now that Deep Discount has their 20% off sale. If I could just decide what color (blu or red)...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I believe that both use the exact same encodings so which version you pick really doesn't make any difference. Although given the conversation above about scratched discs you may want to side with Blu-ray especially if you are going to use the free shipping. I've had the free shipping be absolutely brutal on discs before. Either way it's a great series!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
They are the same encodes (VC1), and reviews have given both formats PQ high and equal marks. No scratches on mine (HD DVD), so get what ever format you would like. Either way you should enjoy this fine release.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Still haven't watched but a few moments of this one yet. What I did sample looked rather good though. Yeah, the DDD sale is tremendous.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It is nice to have confirmation that they are the same encodes. That is what I thought. I am planning on the free shipping option, but I haven't had any problems in the past. I am just trying to decide on format now. I am sure whatever format I choose that the other will be the winner in this "war." I'm sure Bill Hunt wants me to pick HD DVD :).

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Glad to see others having better luck with the free shipping than me. After getting another SD DVD in the mail that was unplayable I've decided to banish it like the plaque. Maybe my mail person has a vendetta against DVDs. :D

It's funny you say that because I planned on doing the same thing initially but then found myself finishing off the first disc at 4:00am on morning. I just couldn't stop watching. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks