A Few Words About A few words about...™ Planet Earth -- in HD & BD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Planet Earth is an epic documentary like none ever before created.

In sheer size and scope alone it would have set a new standard for it's form, but the overall quality of this immense project sets it apart from everything that has come before, and may well hold the position for years to come.

Make no mistake. This is a reference quality product. As a documentary the quality of High Definition images and the means by which they were captured run the gamut from ethereally beautiful to slightly grainy caused by little or no light, and this must be acknowledged and accepted.

The promotional notes give us the following information: 5 years in production, filmed by 71 camera people across every continent in 62 countries, using every technical means available in image capture.

Because of the resolution necessary to capture much of Planet Earth, High Definition becomes not a luxury, but rather a necessity. This is one of those unique films that I would choose not to recommend as a standard definition product.

Planet Earth could not be more Highly Recommended, and will be one of the landmark releases of 2007.

I urge all readers to support the BBC and to add a copy of Planet Earth in Blu-Ray or HD to your library. Then sit back…

and prepare to be awed.

The glory, the brutal danger, the serenity, the animalistic horror, and the overriding exultation of our planet and the creatures therein supported are a ceaseless wonder.

RAH

2. Paul James

Paul James Stunt Coordinator

I'm drooling over my keyboard here !!

My copy is still enroute, if i have to wait any longer to feast my eyes on this series I am going to go round the bend !!!

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Thanks Robert. My HD DVD copy takes its time, of course, having to cross a big piece of that same planet Earth to get here.

This release is such a perfect reason to have HD!

Cees

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I was in junior high when Cosmos first aired. That was the first really monumental documentary series that I can remember, and for the most part it still holds up wonderfully today. Yet it is simply dwarfed by what they accomplished here. That may not seem fair since they are concerned with different subjects, but the scope of the project here just humbles everything that has come before it. There are shots that are so amazing, and look so unreal that you think they have to be special effects. We've all seen time lapse shots of flowers since grade school, but here there are long time lapse pans of countryside covering whole seasons...it is so incredible it almost becomes numbing after a while.
    I'm a hardcore movie fan, but it would take something extra special to knock this off as 'release of the year'.
    I just don't see it happening.

It's an absolute treasure and more than worthwhile at the prices I've seen it going for online.

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

[​IMG]

6. MasterZ

MasterZ Auditioning

I have been watching it on Discovery HD, I am sure not near the quality of HD DVD... but the show is amazing....

I will own a copy shortly!

7. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    No doubt about it! This release is easily my front runner for HD release of the year.

8. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Thanks for the impressions!

I AM DYING TO SEE THIS!!!

BluRay in transit from Amazon. HURRY UP!!!!

9. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I will echo the comments above. I have the HD-DVD set and the parts that I have watched are amazing. If you like this type of programming you should get a copy of this series!

Laters,
    Jeff

10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    My Blu-ray should be here tomorrow, and I'm really anxious to watch it. I've seen only bits and pieces of the episodes on Discovery HD Theater, but I saw enough to know I wanted it in HD.

All of the positive reviews the set has gotten on this site was another strong incentive to buy it.

11. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Thanks Robert (RAH) for your review & recommendation!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I just finished watching all 11 shows and must comment that the education gained from all the different themed locations around the world was outstanding, if not a bit overwhelming and awe-inspiring, especially when viewed in the 1080p HD format! (HD DVD [​IMG])

For instance, we're treated with some very, very rare, crystal-clear & sharp distant / close-up views of animals acting normal, undisturbed, just trying to survive within their elements. These never seen before activities was made possible due to their very powerful HD zoom lens, where some shots are from a helicopter that is couple of miles away from the animals, ... so they were never aware that they we being observed and video taped.

This set merits repeatable viewing due to the wealth of locations, their associated local and historical legacy along with their unique and in many cases, very rare animals and creatures video. Some of the creatures are so unique (many just strange & weird in a creepy skin-crawling sort-of-way [​IMG] ) & elusive that this is the first time that they were observed and video taped. It's amazing just how many animals and creatures are only found in their respective, one location spot (above or below water) in the world.

Phil

12. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

My BD copy just arrived in the mail from Warner so I'll have to check it out this weekend.

One thing I am dissapointed about is that the documentaries included with the DVD set are not included with the HD versions. Also, people over on AVSForum have been complaining of excessive banding because of using relatively low-bandwidth coding VC-1 and alot of material into 4 discs.

Personally it makes no nevermind to me, I'm still watching on a 56" 720p DLP TV. Just as long as it looks good.

13. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

I got my HD DVD set from Amazon.com today and we watched the first episode and was blown away. This series is definitely worth every purchase.

14. ppltd

ppltd Producer

There is no banding visible on the first four spisodes (all I have had a change to view at this time). My guess is the the posters on AVSForum probably forgot to take off their sun glasses before they began watching the disks, or possibly just forgot to engage their brain.[​IMG]

15. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

So, no macroblocking or obvious distracting banding images (like I saw w/my ole' RIP 56HM195) from all viewed 11 HD DVD Planet Earth shows. [​IMG]

Phil

16. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Just got HD DVD copy today. A friend has borrow my HD DVD player - I will get it back tomorrow! [​IMG]

Thank you for the review Robert..

17. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

There is banding and it has been documented with direct digital screen shots. Some of it is apparently in the master already.

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i know i won't be able to hold out
    who has this for the lowets price, BR version.

19. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    What exactly is "banding"?

I have noticed on a few of the later episodes some strange distortion, especially in darker scenes. It's definitely there.

But the majority so far has been spectacular!

20. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

"Banding" refers to visible steps in brightness or colour values. It is so-called because of the impression of stripes which it produces. Computer-generated logos in television images often show it (especially on DTV) — there's one I see all the time, which has an ellipse in the centre of the screen, and a gradient out to the edge, and it looks like the whole screen is occupied by concentric ellipses.