What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pitch Perfect & Pitch Perfect 2 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Who would have thought that casually viewing one of the presidential conventions would push me to acquire Universal's first two Pitch Perfect films?

Not wishing to break any of the ethical rules on HTF, I'll simply report that I spend a number of hours sampling both the conventions, and as a highlight of one, found a wonderfully produced version of Our Fight Song.

Following links, I discovered - apparently the last one to know - the connection to the two Pitch Perfects, directed by Jason Moore and part 2, the freshman offering from Elizabeth Banks.

What go my attention was the wonderful use of digital technology, and concentrated editorial prowess, in controlling a myriad of vocals and images, and then combining them, moving them, and animating them.

I'll not link to it, as the final shot has connection to one of the candidates, but regardless of where one's political agenda stands, and only for the fun and technology of it, I suggest Googling and locating it on YouTube, if you've not yet seen it. After about ten plays, you'll finally be able to dissect it, and see how beautifully it's constructed.

I watched both Pitch Perfects, one after the next in a single evening.

Neither is great cinema. But that's not the point of them.

They're just made to be fun.

Both were shot in Louisiana. Great financial advantages there for filmmakers.

From the orally created sounds, reproducing the fanfare music for the Universal logo, through the battles faced by the cast to succeed, both take you where you'll presume early on that you'll be going.

In my personal opinion, the first is the better film, while the second, a workmanlike effort by Ms Banks, who proves that she can direct, almost reproduces the saga of the first, albeit on an "international" stage, with the addition of a new member to the Bellas.

The cast is fun, spunky, and makes the hours fly by.

A third visit is the world of a cappella is apparently coming in 2017.

The first film was shot with an Arri Alexa, while the second with an Alexa Plus. Both were finished at 2k DIs, so that the resultant Blu-ray discs should be perfect replications of the theatrical originals.

Audio on both is DTS-HD MA, which provides quality clarity and positioning.

Wonderfully frenetic, constantly moving camerawork and snappy editing, especially in musical numbers, provide both cover for the participants, as well as a music video style wrap for the proceedings.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks