A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pitch Black -- in High Definition

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Universal's Pitch Black introduced the Riddick character, the consummate bad guy who does good.

A fun film, with quality effects on a low to medium budget, it was not easily ported from film to video.

If one compares the original SD DVD to the HD release, it become very obvious that this is a film which needs a solid, clean black to succeed in that translation to home theater.

Universal, which has often led the technological home video pack, obviously knows this, and has used the new format to display precisely how dark an image can be and still carry visual information.

There's that old joke normally made about a friend, who will wear black until someone invents a darker color.

In video, there is nothing darker, and yet we have the essential bits of information still visible in the darkest recesses of shadows. Someone spent time getting this correct.

Pitch Black is an entertaining, occasionally terrorizing film about the absence of light and the dangers that lurk there.

It comes Highly Recommended in HD-DVD.

RAH

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I wasn't planning to order this one, but I'm sold after that rave.

I may have to stop reading Mr. Harris' reviews, my pocket is not happy right now [​IMG]

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    RAH recommendations mean more than any THX seal of approval thats for sure. [​IMG]

Resist Ricardo...resist [​IMG]

4. Terry-A

Terry-A Agent

PITCH BLACK WAS FANTASTIC....and the blacks in the movie were pitch black

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    As I said in my quick look, the video quality of this HD DVD made me appreciate the movie itself more. Glad to see Mr. Harris also approves, cause it looked fantastic to me!

Sam