What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pitch Black -- in High Definition (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Universal's Pitch Black introduced the Riddick character, the consummate bad guy who does good.

A fun film, with quality effects on a low to medium budget, it was not easily ported from film to video.

If one compares the original SD DVD to the HD release, it become very obvious that this is a film which needs a solid, clean black to succeed in that translation to home theater.

Universal, which has often led the technological home video pack, obviously knows this, and has used the new format to display precisely how dark an image can be and still carry visual information.

There's that old joke normally made about a friend, who will wear black until someone invents a darker color.

In video, there is nothing darker, and yet we have the essential bits of information still visible in the darkest recesses of shadows. Someone spent time getting this correct.

Pitch Black is an entertaining, occasionally terrorizing film about the absence of light and the dangers that lurk there.

It comes Highly Recommended in HD-DVD.

RAH

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I wasn't planning to order this one, but I'm sold after that rave.

I may have to stop reading Mr. Harris' reviews, my pocket is not happy right now :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
RAH recommendations mean more than any THX seal of approval thats for sure. :)

Resist Ricardo...resist ;)

Terry-A

Agent
Real Name
Terry Anderson
PITCH BLACK WAS FANTASTIC....and the blacks in the movie were pitch black

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As I said in my quick look, the video quality of this HD DVD made me appreciate the movie itself more. Glad to see Mr. Harris also approves, cause it looked fantastic to me!

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks