What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pinocchio -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Does this mean that the movie will be encoded at 16:9 (with black bars that will be overlaid) instead of 4:3? Seems like a potential waste of disc space...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
No, the defeatable side pictures are just that--still pictures that aren't part of the movie.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I believe everything in HD is encoded at 16x9. 4x3 sourced material contains black bars on the sides that are encoded as part of the image.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Really? That seems like a poor design decision. Okay, it more-or-less ends the practice of foolscreen editions, but there's still quite a bit of 4x3 content out there (old movies and TV) that could have benefited...

It'll be interesting to see what Star Trek looks like if I set my DVD player to a 4:3 display--if it ends up fullscreen or windowboxed.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I sincerely doubt the SD-DVD has black bars. Such a move would be nearly unprecedented. My take is a slight bit of confusion ensued when they were discussing the BD and switched to a mention of the SD-DVD.

-R

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

And the reluctance of certain tv owners for not turning down the color knobs when viewing garish dvds has also become epidemic--and should be mocked and ridiculed by those of us who have lives.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
:laugh: My comments about doing a comparison above were not to cry foul if the disc doesn't match, but merely for my own education. The reproductions of the Pinocchio cels in the book are gorgeous.

Edit: Just went over and looked at the comparisons on DVD Beaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...io_blu-ray.htm. I know Gary's had problems with accurate colourspace on his captures in the past, but if these captures are accurate in terms of colour, I don't think there's an issue. The old DVD looks really boosted and artificial by comparison.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
No, but it'll use less disc space if the bars aren't there (which should lead to either a higher-quality video encode, or additional content on each disc).

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

I would guess it should look pretty good I think the film uses up about 23GBs of space on the disc... and to give you an idea WB's released the 1:33:1 Casablanca at about 16GB of space and it has a near 2 hour running time Pin. is at about 72-75 min ish

SO it should still be good... I don't get the border thing myself though seems like a waste for purists like ourselves.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The amount of space saved would be negligible. Better to have a standardized 16x9 image for 1920x1080p HD video no matter what the film's AR than to mess around with both 16x9 and 4x3. No messing with player firmware, or TV display, etc. (Besides, I don't even know if it's technically possible to do a HD image in the 4x3 ratio).

And to make sure we're all on the same page here, the sidebars can either be black or the specifically designed artwork on this title.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The optional art bordering isn't meant for purists. It is meant to appeal to people who do not like vertical black bars. In other words, the same people who don't like horizontal black bars.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't get the whole to-do about the colorful bars. I'm not so sure that "purists" need to have black bars alongside their academy ratio films. Do they?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One post removed for an unnecessary general jab at other posters.
It should be possible to keep a discussion like this civil, couldn't we?

Thanks!

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
If you guys complain about Pinocchio, you better not watch the Blu Ray of Max Fleischer's Gulliver's Travels..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :angry: :frowning:

Now THAT's a Blu Ray I would LOVE to have reviewed by Mr. Harris....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks