What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Paranormal Activity -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Much like Blair Witch, another super low budget indie, which preyed upon human fears, Paranormal Activity, another found footage film, works it terror-filled magic.

Unless one allows their suspension of disbelief to slip.

Once you begin asking questions about the simplistic plot, the four person drama falls to pieces.

Among them...

Where did the second cameraman come from, as there are non-first person shots in the film?

When will the good taxpayers of San Diego break down and hire a police department, which might have given at least
some modicum of support to poor Katie and Micah?

How dare the demonologist leave the country just when he's needed?

Other than that, the film is a sweet ultra-low budget ride for 86 minutes.

As to the Blu-ray disc, I'm not certain that it's necessary for those who wish to own. The film would seem to have little replay value, and it one did wish to own, standard definition DVD is probably the more economical way to go. I doubt that there is much of an upgrade between the two, short of a bit better black level.

And then there's the price point, which I don't understand.

Listing at $49 at Amazon, 46 at Borders, with a street price of 25. Compare this with either of two high quality Paramount Blu-rays, Braveheart or Star Trek. These both "list" at $10 less and street at $5 lower mark. Something is out of place here, especially for a BD-25. And unless price has been determined via some "gotta have it" principle, something is wrong. If one were to attempt to price BDs by film quality and long term play value, there are hundreds that should be selling at well over $500 street price, as their value is far beyond ten times that of Paranormal Activity.

Recommended as a rental for those who enjoy a good ghost yarn (which it is), or purchase on standard definition if you must own it.

Paranormal Activity is the film school senior thesis project may wish they had made. Smart, sleek and with minimal budget.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I liked the film a lot more than you did as I recommended this film during it's theatrical run. Anyhow, one of my sisters remembered how much I liked it that she preordered this BRD for a late arriving Christmas gift which I received earlier this week. I'm going to watch it again sometime in the near future, probably when I have another one of my insomnia episodes like tonight. Nothing like watching such a movie in the dark late at night to set the right tone which should help me fall back to sleep alright.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert,

I don't dislike the film at all. For what it is, and especially on its tiny budget, it certainly does the job, and can be quite creepy. I viewed it alone, at night, and in total darkness. Listening intently. This is also a film that can be destroyed by viewing in a theater without strict cell phone policies in place. I'm a believer in execution for cell phone misuse. No trial. No second chance. No banning from the theater. Just take the offending patron out and feed them to a demon.

RAH

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford ">[/url]

Well, I liked the film a lot more than you did as I recommended this film during it's theatrical run. Anyhow, one of my sisters remembered how much I liked it that she preordered this BRD for a late arriving Christmas gift which I received earlier this week. I'm going to watch it again sometime in the near future, probably when I have another one of my insomnia episodes like tonight. Nothing like watching such a movie in the dark late at night to set the right tone which should help me fall back to sleep alright.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I really enjoyed this film in the cinema (theatre)

and agree its got limited re-watch value

I was lucky enough to view this film in an empty theatre with only 3 other patrons....no one ruined the experience by talking or answering cell phones

one of my work associates saw the film in a packed theatre and said the tension was ruined by people constantly talking and laughing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks