What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ One From the Heart -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw One From The Heart for the first time at Mr. Coppola's "press screening" which was open to the public at Radio City Music Hall. At the time I was working across the street managing the New York Experience in the basement of the McGraw Hill building, which was such a surreal place, with Nathan Hale's hung effigy occasionally falling into the audience accidentally from above (it was supposed to swing out over the screen), and Sinatra's version of New York New York continually blaring across the lobby, I think I was in the perfect frame of mind for Mr. Coppola's film.
When one is dealing with a film that is all about image, color, sound, movement and depth of field, which, to paraphrase Sam Fuller's monologue in the beginning of Godard's Pierrot le Fou, "is in a word: emotion," what one experiences is very hard to describe, as the meaning of the film is expressed by the overlapping of various cinematic forms that tell the characters' story, rather than leading a viewer to identify with these characters which is what normally happens in a studio film, but just let me say that it was magnificent, and that I am extremely happy to hear that the Blu ray might evoke that initial experience. The scene that I remember in particular is when the airplane takes off, which was as virtuoso a sequence as any I have seen in the cinema and seemed to somehow channel both the Dali-esque ballet sequence from Singing In The Rain (because of the use of the white lines on the parking lot pavement as sketched perspectives stretching outward into infinity)as well as (because of a use of color and detail that is simultaneously hyper-real and utterly artificial) Josef Von Strenberg's sublimely delirious Jet Pilot.
I want to thank you, Mr. Harris, for bringing this to my attention!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by lark144 /t/325665/a-few-words-about-one-from-the-heart-in-blu-ray#post_4008790
I saw One From The Heart for the first time at Mr. Coppola's "press screening" which was open to the public at Radio City Music Hall. At the time I was working across the street managing the New York Experience in the basement of the McGraw Hill building, which was such a surreal place, with Nathan Hale's hung effigy occasionally falling into the audience accidentally from above (it was supposed to swing out over the screen), and Sinatra's version of New York New York continually blaring across the lobby, I think I was in the perfect frame of mind for Mr. Coppola's film.
When one is dealing with a film that is all about image, color, sound, movement and depth of field, which, to paraphrase Sam Fuller's monologue in the beginning of Godard's Pierrot le Fou, "is in a word: emotion," what one experiences is very hard to describe, as the meaning of the film is expressed by the overlapping of various cinematic forms that tell the characters' story, rather than leading a viewer to identify with these characters which is what normally happens in a studio film, but just let me say that it was magnificent, and that I am extremely happy to hear that the Blu ray might evoke that initial experience. The scene that I remember in particular is when the airplane takes off, which was as virtuoso a sequence as any I have seen in the cinema and seemed to somehow channel both the Dali-esque ballet sequence from Singing In The Rain (because of the use of the white lines on the parking lot pavement as sketched perspectives stretching outward into infinity)as well as (because of a use of color and detail that is simultaneously hyper-real and utterly artificial) Josef Von Strenberg's sublimely delirious Jet Pilot.
I want to thank you, Mr. Harris, for bringing this to my attention!
I was in the RCMH audience also.

RAH

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Robert Harris said:
The only alternate of which I'm aware was the opening sequence with sand nudes.
Sadly, my memory is not what it used to be and it has been many years since I've seen it, but I do recall that there were scenes related to the purchase of the plane tickets that seemed to get altered. Either the original release had not really explained them or visa-versa, but I do very much remember that being a plot point that got changed when I had seen the film again. (BTW, I had seen the film in Los Angeles, perhaps Coppola made changes after the infamous RCMH screening?)

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
I too watched this in a virtually empty theatre. It seemed to me then that a lot of the effects were done in camera, with lighting, the way you would do them on stage, and I was fascinated. And the way the songs seem to show us the minds of the characters, their secret thoughts and desires, and the long slow vibe of the film. I thought it was all fantastic. Heck, I didn't even mind being able to see the studio roof in some shots with Kinkski on the high wire. The press around the release made a lot out of the fact that Coppola had gone back to the academy ratio (the very first time I had heard the term) and that he had had teams from Zoetrope go around North America to show projectionists how it properly ought to be shown. Fantastic flick, and well worth the price. Not sure I want a copy of Redux, however. I suppose I could shelve it and never watch it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg /t/325665/a-few-words-about-one-from-the-heart-in-blu-ray#post_4009265
From Mr. Harris' absolute rave to this...what exactly could the other guy be seeing?
Am in touch with Mr. Kauffman. He's definitely seeing something, but we appear to be seeing different things.

Locking this thread until sorted out.

RAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks