What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ On Her Majesty's Secret Service -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Oblivion138 said:
I believe this was one of the films that got a new transfer, so it doesn't have the same kinds of problems many of the other Bonds do on BD (Lowry's scrubbing and phony grain), but there is something odd about the gamma. Detail is great, but the image seems too hot and contrasty to my eye, with skintones also being a bit flushed. It's quite an improvement over the DVD transfers, but not as great as I would hope for one of my favorite Bond films.
After the end credits it shows Lowry for this one. The others that were mentioned do not have the Lowry credit on blu Ray. Initially Lowry did all the transfers for the ue DVDs from dr. No to die another day.

Not sure which one I will watch next. I skipped you only live once be twice.
Maybe I switch it up and go to goldeneye.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Osato said:
After the end credits it shows Lowry for this one. The others that were mentioned do not have the Lowry credit on blu Ray. Initially Lowry did all the transfers for the ue DVDs from dr. No to die another day.

Not sure which one I will watch next. I skipped you only live once be twice.
Maybe I switch it up and go to goldeneye.

Interesting, as the look of OHMSS is quite inconsistent from the 2006 "Ultimate Edition" DVD to the BD. Colors and contrast are markedly different.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Oblivion138 said:
Interesting, as the look of OHMSS is quite inconsistent from the 2006 "Ultimate Edition" DVD to the BD. Colors and contrast are markedly different.
Blu Ray does have a wider color spectrum.
Have you noticed different color schemes on the other films as well?

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
The others, you can tell are clearly from the same masters as the DVD's. The difference in color space for DVD and BD is one thing..completely different contrast and colors is another.

Check these comparisons to see what I mean:

Goldfinger (UE DVD vs. BD): http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=623&disc2=638&hd_multiID=1044#auswahl

OHMSS (UE DVD vs. BD): http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=1575&disc2=1596&hd_multiID=740#auswahl

For Goldfinger, one can clearly see that the colors on the BD are truer, but it is also undeniably from the same master. OHMSS is night-and-day different.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Oblivion138 said:
The others, you can tell are clearly from the same masters as the DVD's. The difference in color space for DVD and BD is one thing..completely different contrast and colors is another.

Check these comparisons to see what I mean:

Goldfinger (UE DVD vs. BD): http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=623&disc2=638&hd_multiID=1044#auswahl
OHMSS (UE DVD vs. BD): http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=1575&disc2=1596&hd_multiID=740#auswahl

For Goldfinger, one can clearly see that the colors on the BD are truer, but it is also undeniably from the same master. OHMSS is night-and-day different.
Insteresting. I didn't see a ton of difference. I no longer have ohmss on DVD to compare the 2.
I thought the blu Ray looked sharper and color was good too.
Like I said the color looked a bit whitewashed or muted at times for me.
I feel the audio is off in some key scenes too.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
A number of the masters were tweaked for blu-ray when complaints regarding the DVDs surfaced.

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/bond50_review.htm

ohmss_blu-ray_dvd.jpg

Viewers will be pleased to hear that nearly all the faults inherent in the original Ultimate Edition DVD releases have been corrected. The red blood wash which fills the screen after the death of Quist in the shark pool in Thunderball is now present, and the overall colour palette of the film is closer to Ted Moore’s original lush Technicolor cinematography seen in release prints. You Only Live Twice also features a slightly altered colour palette but falls short of replicating Freddie Young’s saturated hues and looks a little more flat (read modern) for my taste. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service has also been tweaked to tone down the blue-hued dawn beach sequence, which looked nothing like it should on the Ultimate Edition DVD version. This change, whilst not perfect, is a step in the right direction. OHMSS also retains its ‘window-boxed’ and horizontally squeezed main titles (as do Thunderball, Moonraker, The Spy Who Loved Me and The World Is Not Enough), whereas its successor doesn’t (although it did on the UE DVD!). Diamonds Are Forever has also been tweaked and its colour scheme slightly altered from how it has looked in the past. The results are a little constrasty but nothing that would stop the most pedantic of viewers from enjoying the film. The Spy Who Loved Me andOctopussy are huge upgrades from their standard definition predecessors with the latter looking far better than it ever did in the cinema. The rather washed-out soft look of cinema prints is replaced with an eye-popping colour palette and pin-sharp images, which I suspect are the result of digital trickery rather than something that was ingrained in the original negative.
goldeneye_blu-ray_dvd.jpg

Another notable change is the remastering of GoldenEye, which is now correctly framed in its original 2:35:1 ratio instead of the TV version previously released, which zoomed-in on the image and cropped out a large proportion of cinematographer Phil Meheux’s compositions. Unfortunately the transfer has been subjected to an egregious amount of digital noise reduction (DNR) which removes a lot of fine detail from the image. DNR is used to smooth out the grain inherent in the film stock to maintain a more balanced image from shot-to-shot. Once again, a studio more sympathetic to the actual authentic look of the film, rather than its commercial value, would have addressed these issues instead of releasing a version that subtracts instead of adding to the high definition experience.

Unfortunately the only error not corrected is the camera-shake inserted to simulate an earth tremor in A View To A Kill. This has been mistakenly stabilised by Lowry’s software which interpreted it as an error in the film! Incidentally Duran Duran’s music video has also been corrected. The Ultimate Edition DVD version cropped out the cameras overlaid on the image so they disappeared into the black background of the widescreen matted but full frame image!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Worth said:
A number of the masters were tweaked for blu-ray when complaints regarding the DVDs surfaced.

ohmss_blu-ray_dvd.jpg
Viewers will be pleased to hear that nearly all the faults inherent in the original Ultimate Edition DVD releases have been corrected. The red blood wash which fills the screen after the death of Quist in the shark pool in Thunderball is now present, and the overall colour palette of the film is closer to Ted Moore’s original lush Technicolor cinematography seen in release prints. You Only Live Twice also features a slightly altered colour palette but falls short of replicating Freddie Young’s saturated hues and looks a little more flat (read modern) for my taste. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service has also been tweaked to tone down the blue-hued dawn beach sequence, which looked nothing like it should on the Ultimate Edition DVD version. This change, whilst not perfect, is a step in the right direction. OHMSS also retains its ‘window-boxed’ and horizontally squeezed main titles (as do Thunderball, Moonraker, The Spy Who Loved Me and The World Is Not Enough), whereas its successor doesn’t (although it did on the UE DVD!). Diamonds Are Forever has also been tweaked and its colour scheme slightly altered from how it has looked in the past. The results are a little constrasty but nothing that would stop the most pedantic of viewers from enjoying the film. The Spy Who Loved Me andOctopussy are huge upgrades from their standard definition predecessors with the latter looking far better than it ever did in the cinema. The rather washed-out soft look of cinema prints is replaced with an eye-popping colour palette and pin-sharp images, which I suspect are the result of digital trickery rather than something that was ingrained in the original negative.
Another notable change is the remastering of GoldenEye, which is now correctly framed in its original 2:35:1 ratio instead of the TV version previously released, which zoomed-in on the image and cropped out a large proportion of cinematographer Phil Meheux’s compositions. Unfortunately the transfer has been subjected to an egregious amount of digital noise reduction (DNR) which removes a lot of fine detail from the image. DNR is used to smooth out the grain inherent in the film stock to maintain a more balanced image from shot-to-shot. Once again, a studio more sympathetic to the actual authentic look of the film, rather than its commercial value, would have addressed these issues instead of releasing a version that subtracts instead of adding to the high definition experience.
Unfortunately the only error not corrected is the camera-shake inserted to simulate an earth tremor in A View To A Kill. This has been mistakenly stabilised by Lowry’s software which interpreted it as an error in the film! Incidentally Duran Duran’s music video has also been corrected. The Ultimate Edition DVD version cropped out the cameras overlaid on the image so they disappeared into the black background of the widescreen matted but full frame image!
Thanks!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Worth said:

ohmss_blu-ray_dvd.jpg

I don't know, but I think Goldeneye was a much older master (the colors look similar to the '99 DVD). Also, the teaser trailer on the Blu-ray is shortened for some reason (Pierce Brosnan's line "You were expecting someone else?" is removed.)

The only other thing that bugs me is that the mono track on Goldfinger fades out at the end before the final hit of the end credits song. Little thing, but it's an annoying and weird thing to have done.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
OHMSS is still my 2nd favorite Bond film. I watch it at least once a year.

While the latest BD transfer isn't perfect, it's still my preferred version.

If/when the new 4K UHD disc format revisits this, perhaps then all will be well.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Bryan Tuck said:
I don't know, but I think Goldeneye was a much older master (the colors look similar to the '99 DVD). Also, the teaser trailer on the Blu-ray is shortened for some reason (Pierce Brosnan's line "You were expecting someone else?" is removed.)

The only other thing that bugs me is that the mono track on Goldfinger fades out at the end before the final hit of the end credits song. Little thing, but it's an annoying and weird thing to have done.

GoldenEye is definitely from an old master. MGM apparently took the cropping complaints to heart, but rather than remaster, opted to give us an uncropped, but ancient and highly processed transfer.

Reed Grele said:
OHMSS is still my 2nd favorite Bond film. I watch it at least once a year.

While the latest BD transfer isn't perfect, it's still my preferred version.

Agreed on all counts.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
On Her Majesty's Secret Service, director Peter Hunt's lone addition to the Bond series, and the only film with George Lazenby in the lead, was neither a high, nor a low point in the series.

Originally a Monaural mix, the audio has been decently spread to 5.1, and is presented in DTS-HD MA.

Audio - 4

RAH

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
??? This review says that OHMSS was the first Bond film with a stereo soundtrack.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
??? This review says that OHMSS was the first Bond film with a stereo soundtrack.
Wrong. It was apparently Spy Who Loved Me but only in London.

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
There is all sorts of anecdotes about Premier prints for Bond films, 6 track for Thunderball/You only…, 4 track for OHMSS, 3 track stereo for Golden Gun…

All entirely possible

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is all sorts of anecdotes about Premier prints for Bond films, 6 track for Thunderball/You only…, 4 track for OHMSS, 3 track stereo for Golden Gun…

All entirely possible
They should all be noted on the original printing records

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
OHMSS is the best directed Bond film, ADR flaws and all. Almost every shot is unique. Even the wonderful cut from M thanking Moneypenny to Tracey driving under Barry's best 007 score is one of the most modern emotional edits in the series.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
OHMSS is the best directed Bond film, ADR flaws and all. Almost every shot is unique. Even the wonderful cut from M thanking Moneypenny to Tracey driving under Barry's best 007 score is one of the most modern emotional edits in the series.
I think OHMSS is the most visually elevated of the Bond films before the Daniel Craig Bonds (where the budget soared and it showed in production values and cinematography.) GOLDFINGER is the best Bond imho from top to bottom. Best story, best connery performance, best gadgets, best villains, best writing, best sequence, best Bond ladies, best car, best song etc. And not coincidentally, the shortest.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For me, Goldfinger is actually where the series starts to go off the rails - it’s a fun little romp but it’s a huge tonal shift from the first two films, with Guy Hamilton treating the whole thing as a joke, rather than Terence Young’s more serious and suave take.

If Goldfinger had been a one-off, that would have been fine, but I think all of the outlandishness that became ripe for parody began there.

Thunderball pulled back a bit with the return of Terence Young, but (with the partial exception of OHMSS), the series gets silly once Young left the franchise.

Don’t get me wrong, though - I’ll take a bad Bond movie over a good regular movie pretty much any day, but I would have loved to have seen what this series might have been had Guy Hamilton not changed the course of the series.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I think OHMSS is the most visually elevated of the Bond films before the Daniel Craig Bonds (where the budget soared and it showed in production values and cinematography.) GOLDFINGER is the best Bond imho from top to bottom. Best story, best connery performance, best gadgets, best villains, best writing, best sequence, best Bond ladies, best car, best song etc. And not coincidentally, the shortest.
Dr. No is a minute shorter than Goldfinger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks