A Few Words About A few words about...™ Oliver! -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    Anyone who has seen me dance or heard me sing will be begging me to buy the UK version.

;)

Steve W

Rob_Ray and David Weicker like this.
  2. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The sing alongs are clips of most of the film's musical numbers with the lyrics on the screen.

The three dance instruction videos are for the numbers “Food, Glorious Food,” “Be Back Soon,” and “I’d Do Anything,” followed by split screen dance and sing-alongs for the same three songs (the dancer dressed up like Nancy is on one side and the musical number is on the other side).

3. John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910 Supporting Actor

John Maher
    Since I think MY FAIR LADY is one of the worst films ever made, I'm glad that I know OLIVER! to be far superior, in every way. On its way, and I'm looking forward to this Blu! ;)

4. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    In a forum such as this, the biggest single cliche is: you're entitled to your opinion. In your case, we'll have to amend that to: you're lucky you're entitled to your opinion! :)

AnthonyClarke likes this.
  5. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Are you basing your opinion on the Blu-ray? DVD? 35mm showing or 70mm showing. There is a difference. It will be interesting to learn what you think of Oliver as both MFL and Oliver imo are the two best musicals ever made.

6. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    After the Intermission title card fades I stop the disk and allow my guests to excuse themselves to the bathrooms or fix another jack and coke for them. They seem appreciative.

Yorkshire likes this.
  7. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I've wondered for some time what the original Intermission card for "Gone With the Wind" looked like. I guess I'll never know. The Blu-ray Intermission card/music is nice though.

8. John Maher_289910

John Maher
    On the original 1964 road show at The Stanley Theater in Philadelphia, PA. MY FAIR LADY is my favorite musical, and I couldn't wait to see the movie. It, in no way, reminded me of the musical I saw in 1959, on stage. It was inferior, in every way, to what I experienced on stage. I hated every, plodding second of it. A really great film transcends venue and format. MY FAIR LADY was dull, staid and uncinematic, even in 1964. It was as if all involved had no idea they were making a movie. But this thread is about OLIVER!, a film where everyone involved knew they were making a movie. I'm looking forward to receiving the Blu-ray. Hopefully, today.

9. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    A superb transfer of this wonderful film.

10. John Maher_289910

John Maher
    I guess mine will be here on Monday. So looking forward to it.

moviebuff75 likes this.
  11. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    People's film-watching habits interest me. I know some people refuse to budge at the end of a film until the end credits have finished, whilst others stand up as soon as the first line of the titles roll.

I've not watched too many films at home with an intermission, and for the life of me I can't remember what I did at the break. I'm pretty sure I'd remember if I sat there and listened to the music, so I don't think I ever had. I know for certain that, if I did, I wouldn't sit staring at the screen or anything else for that matter - I tend not to do that when listening to music.

Vive la difference!

Steve W

ahollis likes this.
  12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I watched it last night, and I quite agree. It looked wonderful. The sound level was somewhat low, so I did adjust that.

ahollis likes this.
  13. bryan4999

bryan4999 Supporting Actor

Bryan Forbes
    Normally I set my receiver to "direct" mode, but for this film I set it to Pro-Logic. I found the sound field more pleasing that way. After watching Oliver!, I put in Funny Girl (same year and studio). Funny Girl sounds much richer to me. Too bad the original recordings for Oliver! have been lost. It seems inconceivable that they would have been lost given the scale of the production and all the awards it won.

14. Jari K

Jari K Producer

The film has DTS-HD Master 5.1 track. Why do want to use Pro Logic with that? Just curious...

15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Every previous video incarnation of Oliver! had a track several db below normal. Possibly something to do with tones on leader. Have no idea.

RAH

16. bryan4999

Bryan Forbes
    I like using Pro-Logic for Oliver! because the 5.1 track is very stingy on the surrounds, and my subwoofer didn't come on at all that I was aware of. At first I thought something was set wrong with my system, so that's why I put in Funny Girl as a check. With FG all the speakers including sub were busy during musical sequences. So, with Oliver! I switched to Pro Logic just to see how it sounded, and I liked the fact that it filled the surrounds with music while leaving the solo vocals up front. As I said, I generally use the direct mode to be as true to the original as possible, but in this case I like the "music bubble" that Pro Logic creates.

17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    There never was any low frequency information Oliver! Subs should be seen and not heard.

RAH

18. bryan4999

Bryan Forbes
    Why would the soundtrack be coded for .1 when there is nothing there? Or perhaps the package was mis-labeled? Other discs of classics will say 5.0 when that is the case. When a classic musical does have LFE information, is that from the original or was it remixed that way for home video?

19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Can still be 5.1 with a null .1 It's all just a bucket that holds audio.

RAH

20. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I've mentioned this somewhere in the forums before, but the Oliver Blu-ray soundtrack has a mono surround channel so that it is technically 4.0 (or 4.1) even though it is flagged as 5.1. The only reason I know this is because when I engage EX the surround channel collapses into the center back speaker.