What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Notorious -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by rsmithjr

I thought that ASiB 1937 was a PD title. I have a few copies from PD distributors, and it is available on PD sites on the web.
As with most PD titles, I have never seen a video of it that looked any good at all, so hoping for the new release to rectify that.

Kino announced that it will be releasing a Blu-ray of the 1937 A STAR IS BORN on February 7th. I think that WB owns the negatives to the 1937 version, for they announced that this version would be added as an extra to the Judy Garland 1954 A STAR IS BORN Blu-ray, but it did not happen. Kino may be getting the transfer materials from the Selznick estate as they did for NOTHING SACRED.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I wish someone would license the UCLA restoration of A Star is Born. I ran their print of it about 5 or 6 years ago and it looked as good as any studio film from that time period. If I recall correctly, we paid Warner the exhibition fee.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
When comparing the Criterion and MGM DVDs I always preferred the look of the Criterion. Judging from some of the review screencaps, this new disc adds a great amount of detail and is about as good as this film can look on video but I still can't shake the feeling that the Criterion disc looks better somehow.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez

I replaced the artwork with these absolutely gorgeous covers:
[url=http://forum.blu-ray.com/5713718-post9092.html]http://forum.blu-ray.com/5713718-post9092.html

Could not agree more!

RAH

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Robert Harris said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez

I replaced the artwork with these absolutely gorgeous covers:
[url=http://forum.blu-ray.com/5713718-post9092.html]http://forum.blu-ray.com/5713718-post9092.html

Could not agree more!

RAH
As they look now. My, there is talent out there...
62407059-2c18-54ea.jpg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I finally had a chance last night to visit my local Costco and got all three. The cashier tossed the discs into the cart! I couldnt believe it, he might as well have stomped on them. I only watched Notorious up to when they land in Brazil. I wanted to be sure the discs were okay. I have the Criterion laser disc and DVD and the Anchor Bay disc. I haven't compared to the Criterion disc yet. I only mention this because at $9.99, what a great deal for great movies! I paid nearly $100 for the Criterion laserdisc back in the day. Cary Grant's hair does look very rich in texture. And as does Ingrid Bergman's hair. I'm also seeing it for the first time on a new larger screen I recently got. So it's like a first on many fronts. I never noticed the smoke before coming from the building near the right during the opening titles.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Yeah, I was at CostCo earlier today, and saw the $9.99 price sticker on all three. I paid a total of $62.93 through Amazon. I'm feeling kinda like a chump right now. :f Now to download those beautiful custom covers.....

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Robert Harris said:
As a point of reference, to the best of my memory, the Selznick package of films is inclusive of the following: Portrait of Jennie The Paradine Case The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer The Farmer's Daughter Duel in the Sun The Spiral Staircase Since You Went Away Intermezzo Made for Each Other The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Nothing Sacred A Star is Born (1937) - rights held by WB The Garden of Allah Little Lord Fauntleroy I may have overreached or left one or two out, but overall great and important films, that should be on Blu-ray. RAH
Of my top 10 favorite films of all time (well, so far), Notorious is the 8th to make its way to blu-ray. The 9th, Vertigo, will be out later this year. This leaves Portrait of Jennie as the sole missing title. I doubt it'll ever happen, but I'd love to be proven wrong....

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
All I'm doing is replace the standard DVDs with the Blu rays in the sumptuous box MGM brought out a couple of years back .. the box which damaged discs through over-zealous application of shrink-wrap, which warped the discs. I replaced the warped discs courtesy of Amazon, but retained the handsome packaging. Now I'll just add a Blu ray logo to the spine ...... cheers from Australia.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
I'm very pleased with the MGM batch of blu-rays. Out of the "Jan 24th" 6, I've seen Rebecca, Manhattan, Annie Hall and Notorious. I see Fox is helping with distribution. My question is: who are the folks behind prepping the films for blu-ray release? I like what I see.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
I notice that some posters got their copies at Costco. Note for Canadian buyers: good luck finding them, as Costco in Vancouver (my burg) didn't have any at all. In general, and since Costco in Canada was partly bought out by another outfit (they call themselves Price-Costco now), they simply don't carry anywhere near the amount of DVDs they used to carry, and the prices are now back up to retail levels, in most cases about a buck or two below MSRP, that is, not even competing with Best Buy. Bottom line is that it's not worth going to Costco in Canada for almost anything related to DVDs, as the selection sucks and the prices do too. They do occasionally have a super special (the Matrix set in BR for $38), but those are rare to the point of non-existence.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
DennisBassi said:
I downloaded those beautiful covers also. Could you tell me how you printed them, on what stock, and how to get them the proper size? Thanks.
I didn't take the above photos, but they look exactly like my blurays now do. I printed them on photo paper using an Canon Pixma inkjet printer set to the highest quality setting. Then I simply cut them down to match the inserts being replaced. Took ten minutes total. Many thanks to whoever did the hard work. The results are outstanding.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I opened one in my laptop's default "Windows Live Photo Gallery" application and printed from there. The printed image was just slightly smaller than it should be, on all sides, but I'm a complete dunce when it comes to graphics programs and have no idea how to tweak it properly. It's probably high time I learned me a little Photoshop Elements or something.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
We have one copy of Notorious to give away to a lucky HTF member. To enter send an email to contest 'at' hometheaterforum.com with the code word in the subject line, and you user name, full name and address in the body of the email. The word can be found hidden in Matt's official HTF review of Notorious on Blu-ray. Winners must have a US or Canadian shipping address, be over 18 and a member of HTF. The winner will be drawn at random from all emails received with the correct code word in the subject line. Contest runs through Sunday 2/5/12. Good luck!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I refrain from posting the original poster art. I say let's fire the guy who designed those Blu-ray covers and hire Felix Martinez instead. Felix Martinez knows what's he's doing.
Robert Harris said:
... Notorious is an extremely stylish film, using Mr. Grant and Ms. Bergman perfectly.  Watch for one of the greatest kisses in screen history, and that shot of the key. .. RAH
That "shot of the key" was recognized as being something special, even in 1946. Here are three of the four "Key" posters, measuring 9.5 x 20: Notorious is a perfect film. Everything about it is perfect. No flaws. Just simple brilliance.

Jim Reid

Auditioning
Robert Harris said:
As a point of reference, to the best of my memory, the Selznick package of films is inclusive of the following: Portrait of Jennie The Paradine Case The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer The Farmer's Daughter Duel in the Sun The Spiral Staircase Since You Went Away Intermezzo Made for Each Other The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Nothing Sacred A Star is Born (1937) - rights held by WB The Garden of Allah Little Lord Fauntleroy I may have overreached or left one or two out, but overall great and important films, that should be on Blu-ray. RAH
When Selznick and his partner Jock Whitney closed the business, they split ownership of the films. The titles that ended up with Selznick are the ones that ABC Film had and they are still under copyright. The Jock Whitney titles, (Little Lord Fauntleroy, A Star is Born, Nothing Sacred & Made for Each Other did not have their copyrights renewed and are PD. Selnick packaged films for other studios. Suspicious & Notorious (RKO), Sabotour & Shadow of a Doubt (Universal). Not sure why he ended up owning Notorious and not the others. The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer The Farmer's Daughter The Spiral Staircase I didn't know that Selznick had anything to do with these.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Jim Reid

When Selznick and his partner Jock Whitney closed the business, they split ownership of the films. The titles that ended up with Selznick are the ones that ABC Film had and they are still under copyright. The Jock Whitney titles, (Little Lord Fauntleroy, A Star is Born, Nothing Sacred & Made for Each Other did not have their copyrights renewed and are PD.
Selnick packaged films for other studios. Suspicious & Notorious (RKO), Sabotour & Shadow of a Doubt (Universal). Not sure why he ended up owning Notorious and not the others.
The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer
The Farmer's Daughter
The Spiral Staircase
I didn't know that Selznick had anything to do with these.

As noted, I've not dug too deeply into this. I believe the latter three were Vanguard pictures, which may have only been for re-issue.

Several years ago GEH's original nitrate on Portrait was run for the AMIA conference.

Seeing the film on a large screen, with a very receptive audience, and in it's original form, was incredible.

The tinting worked perfectly. Love to see this make its way to the fore via MGM.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks