A Few Words About A few words about...™ Norma Rae -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    XenForo Template

As I don't have enough time to view every Blu-ray from beginning to end, I tend to spot-check, spending a quality fifteen minutes or so with each disc.

Most of the time that works.

But not with Norma Rae, which I'd not seen in several years.

After checking the opening, and a few other sequences, I found myself into reel three, and was unable to continue spot-checking.

Sally Fields performance is about as riveting as they come.  And its impact has lost no  passion in the intervening 35 years.  Ron Leibman, as the union organizer is wonderfully natural.

On Fox's Blu-ray Norman Rae, which has a gritty texture to it, generally appears great.  An occasional green bent to some sequences, which may be the proper look -- I have no memory the original, original prints of which would be of no use as reference, as they'd be totally faded.  Unfortunately, cinematographer John Alonzo, is no longer around to consult.

Image - 4

Audio - 3-5 (some distortion, which may be in the original mags)

Recommended.

RAH

2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    You're a bit late to the party as this came out nearly 5 months ago. I bought it on day one. It's a great movie and a beautiful Blu-ray.

3. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    Thanks Mr Harris. As always, your posts and participation on this forum are GREATLY appreciated!

4. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Love this film and the Blu-ray presentation, which looks very film-like to my eyes. I'd think it'd be at least a 4.5, but what the heck. ;)