A Few Words About A few words about...™ Nicholas and Alexandra -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    A Sam Spiegel Production, directed by Franklin J. Shaffner (Patton, Planet of the Apes), based upon the book by Robert K. Massie. This is a film that has all the aura of a fine English automobile -- all Wilton carpets and Connolly hides. Take a look at the names involved in this production: Actors: Harry Andrews, Irene Worth, Jack Hawkins, Michael Redgrave, Maurice Denham, Vivian Pickles, Brian Cox, Ian Holm, Alexander Knox... Music by Richard Rodney Bennett Cinematography by Freddie Young Production Design by John Box Property Master - Eddie Fowlie Sound Recordist - Gerry Humphreys Sound Editor - Winston Ryder Camera Operator - Ernest Day In some ways it seems that Mr. Spiegel gathered David Lean's troops into battle. This is a beautiful, thought-provoking film, beautifully acted, magnificently photographed... No need to go on. A brilliant production. Some may be surprised the the monaural audio, which was projected theatrically on magnetic prints. And the Blu-ray? Brilliant. Perfect. Great color. Perfect grain structure. Beautiful blacks and shadow detail. Another typical Columbia Blu-ray from Sony. Image - 5 Audio - 5 From Twilight Time. Very Highly Recommended. RAH

2. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    Well, after a summary like that I'll just have to buy the disc. Thank you.

3. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    You will NOT be sorry, magnificent film and transfer.

4. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I second that.

5. John Weller

John Weller Stunt Coordinator

No mention of the god that is Tom Baker?

6. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    My copy's shipped from Twilight Time yesterday...expecting it via Priority Mail next week...can't wait to see this!!!

7. RobHam

RobHam Stunt Coordinator

Right. N&A is a fav of mine on DVD - after Cromwell, the last of the really big Brit movies until Chariots of Fire a decade later registered UK film-making back on the radar (excusing the Agatha Christie exploitation nonsense) After the positive review on this forum, I went to purchase this from TT release directly from Screen Archive. Any previous purchases I have made from TT have been thru Screen Archive via Amazon. Everything I have bought thus far, I have liked, and have no complaints. OK, they want $10 to send to the UK - well above the accepted norm, but I'm fine with that. What I wasnt prepared for was a note in a BOLD RED THREAT telling me that I need to to pay another $15 to have delivery with registered mail so as not to have my purchase lost somewhere, and if it the product is lost, it is no fault of TT because I ticked the box refusing to pay the extra $15. This is greed-motiovated profiteering and I'll have no part of it. If Twilight Time people read this: There is a limit to what your market is prepared to pay. There has been much debate here and elsewhere on TT pricing - by all means charge a premium for limited edition releases, but DON'T RIP THE CONSUMER OFF WITH ARTIFICIALLY HIGH POSTAGE CHARGES. Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

8. John Weller

John Weller Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I got miffed when I went to order Christine at that. Plus they were limiting Christine to 10 per customer!!! Some of TT's stuff can be had though Amazon.uk from screen archives so at least there they would have to respect amazon.marketplace customer service.

9. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    You're worrying unnecessarily. If you're buying on-line, then I assume you're paying with your credit card. If you don't receive the goods, notify your credit card company and they will re-imburse you. You've lost nothing. The credit card company will then negotiate with their insurance company and the supplier and you will not be involved. I had a problem once with a Spanish on-line seller and eventually I had to contact my credit card company. Problem solved by two email messages. Don't pay that surcharge. Just pay the basic shipping/postal charge.

10. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    SAE are not ripping anyone off. International postal charges from the U.S. are high and were recently increased. You can easily see what costs are on the USPS website. Amazon.co.uk have artificially low postal prices set for international market place traders and sellers will often have to raise their product prices accordingly. As Robin says, there's no need to pay the extra for registered post. I must have ordered hundreds of items from SAE over the years to the U.K. and none of them have ever gone astray. I don't know why SAE apparently receive so many non-delivery claims but I suppose not every country has a reliable postal service, added to which not everyone is honest.....

11. RobHam

RobHam Stunt Coordinator

Actual cost of BD = $29.95 Postage to UK = $10 Total Cost = $39.95 Yes its steep, but this is a film I have enjoyed since I was a teenager, and therefore, in perceived value terms, worth the cost. This is the actual wording from the Screen Archive website: "We apologize for the inconvenience but due to frequent packages not arriving to customers in your country we will not replace any lost or stolen orders unless you option for Registered or Express Mail. Registered Mail is trackable and Express Mail is trackable and faster delivery. An additional $15 or $25 in postage will be added to your order depending the option you select. If you choose to continue without either service please note we will NOT replace this order if lost. Kind regards, Screen Archives" New total cost = $54.95 Everything has an inherent value based on "want", and this new total cost coupled with the thinly veiled threat of not replacing any lost units if their registed mail option is not used has pushed it out of what I regard as a fair price. I have approximately 2000 DVD's and BD's that have been bought online (from the UK, US, mainland Europe, and Korea) over a twelve year period, with the remainder being store-bought. Of that, 4 have been "lost in the mail" - 0.2%. Yes, its low, but it isn't zero. The wording from Screen Archive is a disgraceful attempt at emotional blackmail to accrue additional capital, knowing full well that anyone who has bought regularly on-line will have had a no-show at least once. On that basis I disagree with you - this is a deliberate attempt to rip-off the consumer When Screen Archive sell TT discs within the Amazon UK fold, their price for the disc is generally the commercial price from their own website + the postage to the UK converted to £ Sterling. Beyond that they also get (as you pointed out) the artificially low price for Amazon market sellers on postage. Again, the final price is steep but justifiable based on want on a disc by disc basis. The big difference is the T&C's Screen Archive have to abide by as an Amazon Seller - replace any discs lost in the post. I have in my life been the occasional champion of lost causes - this one may well be the latest. (still) Disgusted of Tonbridge Wells.

12. Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson Stunt Coordinator

Ronnie
    Despite me living abroad I have never been asked to pay for registered or express mail, not once. Maybe Sweden isn't considered a high-risk shipping destination? The number of times I've shopped at SAE, both for CDs and BDs, I've never had the unfortunate accident of having anything getting lost in the mail so I'm taking a calculated risk with any order I make. Don't feel the need for quicker shipping either since they usually arrive within a 5-10 day time period from the day of shipping and I'm very satisfied with that. Amazon could learn a thing or two from them in that regard.

13. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    Well, if your batting average is as good as that, what are you worrying about? Don't pay the surcharge and take the same very minimal risk everyone else takes.

14. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

That's what I thought. With the huge surcharge it seems very unreasonable not to risk the loss of a disc with a 99.6% delivery quota.

15. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    You are acting as if SAE are pocketing the difference as well - if you pay more postage that goes to the shipping company, not SAE....

16. RobHam

RobHam Stunt Coordinator

Alternative 2013 shipping prices for BD/DVD from US to UK as a comparison: Amazon.com = $4.74 Import CDs = $6.99 Olive Films (6 people in an office!) = $8.50 As near as I could figure from the USPS website the Standard Rate for a punter walking into their local post office and posting a BD to the UK is $7.65 The Registered Mail option from the same website is $11.20, but with a caveat that the final price is based on the value of item. Anyone exporting on a regular basis will have discounted business rates. As a reminder - Screen Archive pricing to ship a single BD to the UK: $10 for Standard Shipping £25 ($10 + $15) for Registered Mail. Draw your own conclusion. (even more) Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

17. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    Don't buy the disc . . . and give the rest of us some peace. You have become the ultimate bore.

18. RobHam

RobHam Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps I could invest the money in lessons in how to be interesting from your good self. From your totally off-the-wall and un-necessarily negative comment, I assume one of two things: 1) You're having a very bad day 2) You've already paid the additional postage for this disc

19. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Even so, Rob, that's SAE not TT.

20. RobHam

RobHam Stunt Coordinator

Exactly Moe. Whereas Olive appear to have control of distribution by retaining at least an interest in it in-house, Twilight Time have completely contracted it out. My hunch is the guys at TT have no interest in how much it costs to send a BD to the UK as it isn't part of their business model. Screen Archives have taken on a differentiated product for a niche market and seen an opportunity to widen their normal margins (greed, for the want of a better word, is good). What this boils down to is how much is someone willing to pay for a product. My beef is that in being forced to pay a double margin it takes it way out my comfort zone in terms of value for money. Its highly unlikely that my opinion would be important to Twilight Time, but I think they need to revisit their agreement with Screen Archive to enable at least some input into how much is being charged to the end consumer for delivery. Either that or find a second distributor. Don't mind me, I'm not only a bore - I'm the ultimate bore.