A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mutiny on the Bounty -- in HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The 1962 M-G-M production of Mutiny on the Bounty was a huge undertaking, and no expense seems to have been spared. That it is not up to the overall quality of the 1935 version seems somehow dwarfed by the gorgeous HD-DVD from WB, derived from original 65mm anamorphic elements reduction printed to 35mm IP, and scanned for this (and the SD) disc.

And while Mr. Brando may lisp his way through the production as an 18th century upper-crust super-fop, the other major players, amongst them Mr. Howard, are superb. The score is also a high point of Mr. Milestone's final directorial effort -- a noble close to 44 year career.

In a proper Ultra-Panavision aspect ratio, Mutiny has received lavish treatment in conversion to DVD.

For lovers of large screen cinema, this is one of the Event films.

Recommended.

RAH

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    OK, you talked me into it but I wish Charles Laughton & Clark Gable were in it....

3. ppltd

ppltd Producer

Same here. I already have it ordered and very much want to see this version again. If the only movies that ever came out on the the hd-dvd were the Classics that Warner, and to a lesser extent Universal have been releasing, I would not lose any sleep over not getting Sony releases in the HD format.

It is absolutly wonderful to see these films restored and in Hi-Def. Here's to hoping that Warner and the rest of the studios know the appreciation we have for these fine releases.

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Another classic film I've never seen. I used to consider myself a vintage movie fan....[​IMG]....

5. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

I'm not sure I'd tag this as a "classic" film. I think that honor must be saved for the 1935 version. But this is nonetheless a film as fascinating for its flaws as for its finery.

And trying to catch a fleeting glimpse of Polynesian nipple (a popular activity for pubescent boys in 1962) should be all the more enticing in HD. I feel the waves of titillating nostalgia already coming over me. Still, I fear that the camouflage skills of the lei wranglers on this film will be just as indomitable in this new medium.

6. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

I'll be spending a large portion of the holiday season being one with my sofa and HD DVD collection.

7. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I think it's a great film. The MGM Bounty of 1935 is a great adventure story, but this one is a better drama, I think. There's a lengthy shot of Brando standing on the deck, simply thinking about taking the ship, which is worth buying the disk just to see. It's a very underrated movie.

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I agree Dee. Knowing the critical judgment of the film beforehand, I always dismissed it, until I watched it several times over the course of a few days (i din't have cable, and PBS was the only station that came in clear, and they ran it several times inside of a week). I became engrossed with it each time.
    I always loved the Gable/Laughton version, but this one surprised me. Brando gets knocked for his performance here, but I think its a pretty savvy choice on his part. It makes his eventual actions all that more dramatic. And Howard makes a fantastic Bligh. Next to The Searchers, this was the classic I was most looking forward to this year on this format.

I think the film is ripe for reappraisal, and this should be the perfect opportunity for it.

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I'm so glad mr. Harris (thanks for that!) warned us in time that this release was to be expected. I almost bought the Brando set already, but instead ordered the Julius Caesar from it (just arrived), and waited for this HD one.

This is one of the films I saw in the theater at it's original release. This is a big screen movie, no doubt about it, and the HD treatment will do it a great service! Or should I say: does us a great service?

Ordered!

Cees

10. willyTass

willyTass Second Unit

SAW this for the first time last night. I was surprised by how much i enjoyed this film.

Even more surprising was that Marlon Brando was completely intelligible.

I only saw the DVD version and there are only a few "soft" scenes where things look a little blurry. I'll compare it to the HD-DVD version on friday

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

It looks great, but the Tahiti sequence could have been cut by 2/3 without me shedding any tears.

12. mike--

mike-- Stunt Coordinator

I just got my copy of this...............I haven't watched it through yet, but from what i've seen( the first few scenes), it looks positively stunning in HD!!.....and the great thing is, it's ALL on one single-sided disc!!!

13. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

The Tahiti part is my favorite part of the film. In HD , its like being there!!! What magnificent cinematography!
    This may be heresy, but I prefer the 62 Bounty. I find it vastly superior over the stodgy overrated hammy Gable/ Laughton version.

14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Ken
    I'll join your heretic club I prefer the 62 version as well because it continues the story past the ending of the 35 version and its more exciting but I still like the 35 version as well.

15. willyTass

willyTass Second Unit

Warner Bros did a pretty good job on Mutiny On The bounty DVD version as when I compared it to the HD-DVD version it looked remarkably similar.

It's the backgrounds that benefit the most with 1920x1080 rather than the close ups. Very Lavish colors in HD-DVD

(flame suit on) I dont know where Mutiny On The Bounty has been hiding all these years but I've now seen it 3 times since release and enjoy it more and more.

Better than Master & Commander!! [​IMG]

16. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Watched it last night. WOW! This HD DVD exceeds my wildest expectations in every department.

All I can say is if SPARTACUS looked half this good, I'm sure that we would have seen "A Few Words About"... that HD DVD by now. The fact that it hasn't even had an official HTF review yet speaks volumes.