What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moulin Rouge (2001) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Viewing Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge just after The Rocky Horror Picture Show has me considering not only the overall similarities between the two, but questioning what director Jim Sharman might have done 35 years ago, had he the ability to use digital technology.

This is another of those short and sweet commentaries, as Moulin Rouge is yet another pitch perfect Blu-ray from Fox.

At the moment, firmware problems with Alien aside, there are two studios from which I'd happily pre-order Blu-ray product -- Fox and Sony. Both have proven time and again, that where new transfers are concerned, quality control and a desire for perfection rules.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
The Blu-ray is absolutely gorgeous, doing full justice to the ravishing imagery. Unfortunately, it's not enough to make up for the strangled sounds that pass for singing from Ewan McGregor. I like the movie enough to have watched it three times on DVD but that 'voice' gets harder to take with each viewing.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by marsnkc

The Blu-ray is absolutely gorgeous, doing full justice to the ravishing imagery. Unfortunately, it's not enough to make up for the strangled sounds that pass for singing from Ewan McGregor. I like the movie enough to have watched it three times on DVD but that 'voice' gets harder to take with each viewing.

Well, musically the entire film is like a high-school amateur hour. It's hardly just Ewan. Still a fun film though.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Are you speaking of the same Fox that gave us "Patton" "The Longest Day" and most recently "Predator"? Are you saying they have mended their ways?

Originally Posted by Robert Harris

At the moment, firmware problems with Alien aside, there are two studios from which I'd happily pre-order Blu-ray product -- Fox and Sony. Both have proven time and again, that where new transfers are concerned, quality control and a desire for perfection rules.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Mark-P

Are you speaking of the same Fox that gave us "Patton" "The Longest Day" and most recently "Predator"? Are you saying they have mended their ways?

Patton and The Longest Day were released at the beginning of the format, and Predator was a strange anomaly (or released that way after the many, many complaints of people who bought the first release and hated it). Apart from those, Fox has had surprisingly many good releases.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Are you speaking of the same Fox that gave us "Patton" "The Longest Day" and most recently "Predator"? Are you saying they have mended their ways?[/COLOR]

I haven't had the pleasure to view Moulin Rouge as of yet, but Last of the Mohicans and Alien are two of the finest Blu-ray transfers of catalog titles I've seen this year.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The two best transfers I have seen to date are

Moulin Rouge and Apocalypse Now (LionsGate).

Of course, I still have to get my hands on
Last of the Mohicans.

Fox is doing a superb job with these transfers.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I've very excited to check out my copy! It's one of three films I knew for certain I'd upgrade (the other two being Amélie and Die Hard 4). Just got my PS3 replaced and got it back on Monday. Maybe tonight I can kick the boys off long enough to check out a few scenes until I have the time to just sit and soak it it. I can't wait!

AndyBlu

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
never tire of watching this film.
just watched the blu-ray on an OLED.
this has taken it to the next level.
WOW!
if ever there was a film and a technology that were meant for each other.
i can only imagine what 4K + HDR could bring - although 1080p feels more than adequate if i'm honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks