A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moulin Rouge (2001) -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Viewing Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge just after The Rocky Horror Picture Show has me considering not only the overall similarities between the two, but questioning what director Jim Sharman might have done 35 years ago, had he the ability to use digital technology.

This is another of those short and sweet commentaries, as Moulin Rouge is yet another pitch perfect Blu-ray from Fox.

At the moment, firmware problems with Alien aside, there are two studios from which I'd happily pre-order Blu-ray product -- Fox and Sony. Both have proven time and again, that where new transfers are concerned, quality control and a desire for perfection rules.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

2. marsnkc

marsnkc Supporting Actor

Andrew
    The Blu-ray is absolutely gorgeous, doing full justice to the ravishing imagery. Unfortunately, it's not enough to make up for the strangled sounds that pass for singing from Ewan McGregor. I like the movie enough to have watched it three times on DVD but that 'voice' gets harder to take with each viewing.

3. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland

Well, musically the entire film is like a high-school amateur hour. It's hardly just Ewan. Still a fun film though.

4. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Are you speaking of the same Fox that gave us "Patton" "The Longest Day" and most recently "Predator"? Are you saying they have mended their ways?

5. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

Patton and The Longest Day were released at the beginning of the format, and Predator was a strange anomaly (or released that way after the many, many complaints of people who bought the first release and hated it). Apart from those, Fox has had surprisingly many good releases.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I haven't had the pleasure to view Moulin Rouge as of yet, but Last of the Mohicans and Alien are two of the finest Blu-ray transfers of catalog titles I've seen this year.

- Walter.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The two best transfers I have seen to date are

Moulin Rouge and Apocalypse Now (LionsGate).

Of course, I still have to get my hands on
    Last of the Mohicans.

Fox is doing a superb job with these transfers.

8. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I've very excited to check out my copy! It's one of three films I knew for certain I'd upgrade (the other two being Amélie and Die Hard 4). Just got my PS3 replaced and got it back on Monday. Maybe tonight I can kick the boys off long enough to check out a few scenes until I have the time to just sit and soak it it. I can't wait!