What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Monsters, Inc. -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I find it almost impossible to believe that Disney / Pixar's Monsters, Inc. was released a dozen years ago. And the standards for digital animation set then, hold firm today, as the film is taken to 3D. And it works. The sheer amount of detail in the data, the brilliantly, pure colors, the fur... There is nothing about this charming film that does not stand the test of time, and with 3D, getting even better. I always go into 3D, that originally wasn't with an open mind, and if it works, I'm thrilled. If not, so be it. Have I made the point that Monsters, Inc. works in 3D in spades? This is a film that needs no reviews. Suffice to say that it remains one of my all-time favorite digitally animated "modern classics." Have I mentioned that the 3D and separation really works here? You have a choice in ordering the new Blu-ray of Monsters, Inc. If you're set up for 3D, you'll want the five-disc "ultimate collector's edition." Currently set for pre-order on Amazon for 29.99. If you're not set up for 3D, probably best to pre-order the five-disc "ultimate collector's edition" instead of the "three-disc collector's edition," which is currently $29.99 on Amazon. Some my disagree, but especially if 3D may be in your future, the five-disc set seems to be the better deal. Although I don't generally give ratings to digital product, I can't restrain myself with Monsters, Inc. Image - 5 Audio - 5 (Dolby 7.1 True HD) There is a difference between DTS and Dolby, when it comes to listening 5.1 from 7.1 data, and Dolby is the way to go. Very Highly Recommended. RAH

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm so glad you like the 3D in this movie. I really love this movie and am eagerly awaiting for my copy to arrive this Tuesday. There's an irony in that one of the main characters will never be able to enjoy the 3D.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I remember avoiding the 3D in theaters because the trailer looked so cheap, flat and View-Master converted--Sort of expected Sully to be rounder and furrier than that in 3D. And then I realized, duh: Disney may have just assembled a 2D trailer for the theaters and Blu-rays, and post-converted that for the 3D theaters and disks, without any actual footage from the real 3D version. For any who've seen both, would I be correct in assuming that? So far, Pixar hasn't been too shabby on the 3D for the first-runs of Brave and TS3, so I would assume their re-renderings on Monsters and Nemo would be up to the quality of the TS1+2 re-renders.
Johnny Angell said:
There's an irony in that one of the main characters will never be able to enjoy the 3D.
They are already well aware of that fact. :D http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/rewards/monsters-official-movie-poster-7008

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Johnny Angell said:
There's an irony in that one of the main characters will never be able to enjoy the 3D.
That's why he's in the movie, not the audience. If memory serves, there are some promotional materials for this 3D re-release that feature images of Mike wearing anaglyph 3D eyewear that consists of a single lens, split down the center into red and blue halves.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Doctorossi said:
That's why he's in the movie, not the audience. If memory serves, there are some promotional materials for this 3D re-release that feature images of Mike wearing anaglyph 3D eyewear that consists of a single lens, split down the center into red and blue halves.
I hope that's on the disc. It would be a great gag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks