A Few Words About A few words about...™ Melancholia -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    What a great title for a film about the end of the world.

While I've not been a big fan of director Lars Von Trier's minimalist cinema, Melancholia caught my attention, and I gave it 135 minutes of my time. What becomes apparent, once you understand what you're viewing, is the way that different characters are affected by what one hopes will be the close passing of another planet.

Possibly a tidal wave or two.

No.

The other unexpected pleasure here is how good Kirsten Dunst's performance is. I don't mean that in a negative way in regard to past performances, but rather how startling her work is here.

As a Blu-ray, Melancholia looks precisely like Melancholia.

Shot with an Arri Alexa, our end product on Blu-ray is (with certain modifications) precisely as intended.

I would not suggest for anyone who deals with depression. For most people...

Recommended.

A very interesting film.

RAH

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Interesting film indeed, and unfortunately one that I just couldn't buy into. I screened it last night and was amazed at the sheer amount of talent that von Trier was able to gather together for this project. John Hurt, Stellan Skarsgard, Charlotte Rampling (!), Kiefer Sutherland, Jesper Christensen, Dunst... the list goes on. A very impressive cast and a great performance by Dunst, but in the end I didn't give a damn about a single character. There wasn't a sympathetic spot in the entire bunch of them for me. It's hard to feel bad about the end of the world when the people populating it are all various combinations of rich, spoiled, emotionally aloof, self-absorbed, nasty, whiny, and neurotic, and the entire story plays out on a multi-million dollar estate that's so over the top it has its own 18 hole golf course. To be honest the end of this tedious world was quite a relief IMO.

I also wasn't very happy with the transfer. I realize that the muddy look of the production was the choice of the director and the DoP, but I noticed quite a few instances of false contouring in the main feature and in some of the supplemental material as well.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Any problems should have been in the original. Nothing dastardly should be occurring in the slight down-rez, color and adapted LUT.

RAH

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    When it aired on HDNET movie channel I thought it looked beautiful. I didn't notice any muddiness at all .
    I can't say I loved the movie because it was depressing and scary but I think the movie is worth looking at, at least once.
    Still think it is an easy 4 out of five stars.

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Thanks for the comment Robert. I've viewed literally dozens of BDs on my calibrated setup and this was the only title that exhibited the issues I mentioned, which is why I concluded it was the source. Perhaps something funky was going on. It *was* a Netflix rental disc, although that should have no bearing on my viewing experience.