What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Meatballs -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's come to this.

With current releases of studio catalog titles, inclusive of:

The Color Money
Sea of Love
Scent of a Woman
Cocktail
Ransom
Erin Brockovich

The best quality Blu-ray catalog title turns out to be Ivan Reitman's 1979, low-budget Canadian production, that still works in terms of pleasing its intended audience.

The film, as led by counselor Bill Murray, still has the ability to charm.

But what's interesting here, is that this Lionsgate release, with all of its forced trailers up front, is the best looking current studio catalog release.

Does that tell us anything about Universal and Disney and their corporate mindset toward their libraries?

The only title from the above list that can hold it own against Meatballs is Ransom.

Image - 3.75

Audio - 4

Recommended.

RAH

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for your review Robert. It must have been discouraging for you to evaluate this latest string of disappointments and I'm sure that finding one rose amongst the thorns was somewhat refreshing.

This is not a not a knock against Meatballs by any means, but how tragic. As a film lover I find the escalating trend towards releasing shoddy catalog titles on Blu-ray very, very disturbing. Are the studios in question TRYING to kill off disc-based distribution of HD home video? Is it apathy? The right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing? Plain old lousy QC? Conscious business decision? Apparently, as Mr. Harris points out, it's not an issue of money. I don't know the answer, but I do know that everyone involved with these releases should be embarrassed and ashamed of the results. Meatballs aside, there's simply no excuse for a major studio to produce this kind of junk in the 21st century.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by dpippel /t/321415/a-few-words-about-meatballs-in-blu-ray#post_3936732
Thanks for your review Robert. It must have been discouraging for you to evaluate this latest string of disappointments and I'm sure that finding one rose amongst the thorns was somewhat refreshing.

This is not a not a knock against Meatballs by any means, but how tragic. As a film lover I find the escalating trend towards releasing shoddy catalog titles on Blu-ray very, very disturbing. Are the studios in question TRYING to kill off disc-based distribution of HD home video? Is it apathy? The right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing? Plain old lousy QC? Conscious business decision? Apparently, as Mr. Harris points out, it's not an issue of money. I don't know the answer, but I do know that everyone involved with these releases should be embarrassed and ashamed of the results. Meatballs aside, there's simply no excuse for a major studio to produce this kind of junk in the 21st century.

Very possibly a desire to kill off Blu-ray, and open the doors to downloaded content of lesser quality.

With also nothing against Meatballs, a film that serves its purpose, the fact that it severely beats a 65mm originated My Fair Lady in terms of quality is maddening. Meatballs is the best picture.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/321415/a-few-words-about-meatballs-in-blu-ray#post_3936735

Very possibly a desire to kill off Blu-ray, and open the doors to downloaded content of lesser quality.

With also nothing against Meatballs, a film that serves its purpose, the fact that it severely beats a 65mm originated My Fair Lady in terms of quality is maddening. Meatballs is the best picture.

RAH

RAH

I doubt that as I think most people would be happy with the tites you have rejected. Also, I'm not talking about those that frequent this board or AVS crowd, but those that don't have front projectors and are ignorant to what these films should look like. Their numbers are vastly superior to the HT enthusiasts expressing their opinions here. The studios know this which is why conscious business decisions are being made at the studios by marketing/peanut counting types to release BR software knowing full-well they could have done more quality-wise with a little more investment in preparing these titles. Just my opinion based on working in American industry and their recent history of short-sighted decisions.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/321415/a-few-words-about-meatballs-in-blu-ray#post_3936736

I doubt that as I think most people would be happy with the tites you have rejected. Also, I'm not talking about those that frequent this board or AVS crowd, but those that don't have front projectors and are ignorant to what these films should look like. Their numbers are vastly superior to the HT enthusiasts expressing their opinions here. The studios know this which is why conscious business decisions are being made at the studios by marketing/peanut counting types to release BR software knowing full-well they could have done more quality-wise with a little more investment in preparing these titles. Just my opinion based on working in American industry and their recent history of short-sighted decisions.

Crawdaddy

I believe we're all aware of this, and agree.

But it still does point to the kill-off of Blu-ray, which might seemingly be something only desirous to readers of HTF, BD and AVS. This same mindset would also be a nail in the coffin of 2k and 4k systems, for which there would seemingly be no future need, especially if download quality will please 98% of whatever of the public.

That cuts off those who frequent the above-mentioned sites, and places control in the hands of the typically noted J6P.

RAH

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/321415/a-few-words-about-meatballs-in-blu-ray#post_3936736

Yes, unfortunately the concept of "excellence" is hard to come by in business these days. We've become a society that seems to be proud of catering to the lowest common denominator. I think that Andrew Stanton and Pete Docter hit the nail on the head with some of the themes they present in "WALL-E". That appears to be where we're heading, and it's depressing. I'm really tired of hearing the term "It's probably good enough for most people".

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/321415/a-few-words-about-meatballs-in-blu-ray#post_3936735

That last sentence really sums it up Robert. All I can do is shake my head.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It just seems like all of this puts the lie to a chief reason for having developed high resolution video in the first place.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/321415/a-few-words-about-meatballs-in-blu-ray#post_3936738

I believe we're all aware of this, and agree.

But it still does point to the kill-off of Blu-ray, which might seemingly be something only desirous to readers of HTF, BD and AVS. This same mindset would also be a nail in the coffin of 2k and 4k systems, for which there would seemingly be no future need, especially if download quality will please 98% of whatever of the public.

That cuts off those who frequent the above-mentioned sites, and places control in the hands of the typically noted J6P.

RAH

Which was my point in that LOA thread about 4K being useless as a "tit on a boar" for most people because the studios can't even release proper blu-ray releases now. At least, as it pertains to a good number of their catalog libraries. Sure, their new titles would like great in 4K and maybe a handful of catalog titles they invested a lot of coin in, but outside of that, I don't see much of a need for consumers to buy 4K hardware. As to your conspiracy theory regarding downloads, perhaps you're right.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/321415/a-few-words-about-meatballs-in-blu-ray#post_3936746

Which was my point in that LOA thread about 4K being useless as a "tit on a boar" for most people because the studios can't even release proper blu-ray releases now. At least, as it pertains to a good number of their catalog libraries. Sure, their new titles would like great in 4K and maybe a handful of catalog titles they invested a lot of coin in, but outside of that, I don't see much of a need for consumers to buy 4K hardware. As to your conspiracy theory regarding downloads, perhaps you're right.

We agree. I see 4k as being the backbone of modern asset protection and DCPs, and that's it.

Most new features are finished in 2k.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those who might be heading out to stand on a high ledge, we're stilling getting very consistent Blu-rays from Fox and Columbia, with a good representation from WB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks