What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Martha Marcy May Marlene -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What a frightening and thought-provoking film!

Elizabeth Olsen, the younger sister of the twins, is Martha, and she gives an extraordinary performance, along with protagonist John Hawkes.

Martha has escaped from a cult in upstate New York, and gone to live with her older sister and brother-in-law, but to what end? The damage has been done, and as the film moves along, we're given glimpses of what has made Martha, aka Marcy May, aka Marlene, crack.

MMMM is also a visually interesting film. Directed by NYU grad Sean Durkin, and photographed by Jody Lee Lipes, MMMM takes on a generally ethereal, under-exposed look. True blacks are rare, shadow detail is found open and exposed with little information on tap. It's a very novel look, and after one gets used to it, I believe it works.

The film was shot on that stuff with the holes running along the sides in 35/3, and went from there to a 2k DI, before reaching its final 35mm scope prints and DCPs.

What appears to be a simple hippie-type commune in the early stages of the film, slowly takes on the aspects of a cult as we get to know the players better, and the overall fear instilled by the goings-on breaks through.

MMMM is Sean Durkin's first directorial stint on a feature film. His earlier short, Mary Last Seen, almost a preface to MMMM, is included as an extra.

He's a filmmaker to watch.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Coressel

Supporting Actor
This looks really fascinating. I hadn't even heard of this film or the director until now, so thanks for the heads-up.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It occurred to me to look up this movie and see if anything had been posted here about it. It truly is exceptional, but it's one of those films that requires a lot of effort from the viewer. It's also (intentionally) disorienting, putting the viewer into the fractured mind of Martha. Like some other movies I like, the first viewing can be a bit baffling, but the second time around, everything fell perfectly into place for me. Including the ending, which I do NOT find to be cliché, as people tend to accuse it of being. It's there for a very clear reason, and it works. Fascinating movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wish I could remember what my thoughts were on it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wish I could remember what my thoughts were on it.
The most common words used to describe talky, character drama movies I like are "Boring" and "Stupid", so consider yourself warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks