What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Maniac Cop 2 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As full disclosure, I've known Blue Underground's Bill Lustig for quite awhile, and have always respected him, as both a filmmaker, as well as a force behind indie labels in the home video world.

Rather like The Twilight series, films in the Manic Cop genre aren't my cup of tea, but I'll occasionally visit them when I actually find an hour or two of free time.

With the release of Manic Cop 2 to Blu-ray, we have the perfect storm -- in a very good way.

A knowledgeable producer and distributor in home video is also the director of the film, and in bringing MC2 to Blu-ray, Mr. Lustig has, in my opinion, done everything right.

Scanning in 4k, from the OCN, he began with perfect data files. Down-rezzed to 2k for cleanup, and through a new LUT for Blu-ray, his resultant final imagery and audio (in HTS-HD MA 7.1 and Dolby 5.1 EX) round out a package that one would normally not expect at this budget level. I've a feeling that a form of parental pride is in play here.

Bottom line. Fans will be thrilled with the quality. I've never seen the film, but having viewed the first 15 minutes or so, will be returning to see where it goes. It's a fun experience, presented in the highest of quality on Blu-ray. Maniac Cop 2 on Blu-ray is an unexpected pleasure.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I am pleased to read about scanning at 4K from the OCN but i have a question.

If a 4K scan costs approx on average $80k then how can a small company like Blue Underground afford to scan in 4K and release this, are they going to make their money back. ?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If I had to guess, I would say Lustig paid for 4K to create a master (and preservation) for all future possibilities and formats, so you can spread the cost over all of those potential markets. The film even has a limited theatrical run in New York City (via 4K DCP) starting this weekend. He owns the film, so it would make sense to spend the money in this case.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
FoxyMulder said:
I am pleased to read about scanning at 4K from the OCN but i have a question.

If a 4K scan costs approx on average $80k then how can a small company like Blue Underground afford to scan in 4K and release this, are they going to make their money back. ?
The greatest cost is in the color correction and clean-up. Not the scan itself.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert Harris said:
The greatest cost is in the color correction and clean-up. Not the scan itself.

RAH
What's a ballpark figure for a quality 4K scan, the colour correction and cleanup and for that matter anything else required. ?

I remember reading this on another of your posts but i forget the one.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
FoxyMulder said:
What's a ballpark figure for a quality 4K scan, the colour correction and cleanup and for that matter anything else required. ?

I remember reading this on another of your posts but i forget the one.
A quality 4k scan can run around 15-20k. Color anywhere from $300 - 700/hour. A feature can easily take 100 hours. Cleanup is off the charts, and totally element dependent.

Far more than just this involved, however.

RAH

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Peter Apruzzese said:
If I had to guess, I would say Lustig paid for 4K to create a master (and preservation) for all future possibilities and formats, so you can spread the cost over all of those potential markets. The film even has a limited theatrical run in New York City (via 4K DCP) starting this weekend. He owns the film, so it would make sense to spend the money in this case.
I'm not sure about theatrical rights, but First Look Pictures, not Lustig, own the home video rights to this and Maniac Cop 3.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert Harris said:
A quality 4k scan can run around 15-20k. Color anywhere from $300 - 700/hour. A feature can easily take 100 hours. Cleanup is off the charts, and totally element dependent.

Far more than just this involved, however.

RAH
The scan seems cheap, i think the studio's should be doing it as standard practice at that price, even if they don't do any colour correction or cleanup immediately they would still have a digital archived version they could work on later.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I thought First Look folded as an active company after being acquired by Millennium Films back in 2010/11. Perhaps rights reverted back to Lustig at that time as I don't see FLP or Millennium credited on the Blu Underground packaging.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Peter Apruzzese said:
I thought First Look folded as an active company after being acquired by Millennium Films back in 2010/11. Perhaps rights reverted back to Lustig at that time as I don't see FLP or Millennium credited on the Blu Underground packaging.
No, Blue Underground mentioned on their facebook page that they licensed the films from First Look. I can't speak as to why neither First Look or Millennium are credited on the Blu-ray packaging.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I love this film. It's so much fun. Just ordered it, today. I cannot figure out why MANIAC is so bad. Even the trailer on the Blu-ray looks superior to the film.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Yes, MC 2 looks terrific. The film itself isn't a personal favorite but I like these kinds of movies so I'm glad to add it to my collection. The independent labels are doing far, far better work than most major studios these days.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
It's a good film to check out if you like GREAT stuntwork in films. It's a lost art in the digital age.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
John Maher_289910 said:
I love this film. It's so much fun. Just ordered it, today. I cannot figure out why MANIAC is so bad. Even the trailer on the Blu-ray looks superior to the film.
The problem is it went out with RGB-PC levels as opposed to RGB-Video levels.

This happens occasionally.

Ignatius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hayden Frost

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks