What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Man of Steel -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This commentary has been edited from its original form, after massaging projector and player settings in cooperation with home video guru, Kevin Miller.

And edited further, with Sony's new firmware update.

Zack Snyder's Man of Steel (2013), is a terrific film, and highly entertaining.

It was also a superb Blu-ray disc.

But this is where things get interesting.

While I do not have a 4k HDR capable flat panel, I find that my projector does a wonderfully commendable job of reproducing both 4k and HDR, when the disc is so encoded.

There is a problem, however, that I'm seeing (or not) with both Man of Steel, as well as Watchmen, in that while they may reproduce nicely on high-powered, heavily backlit panels, they do not in projection, and set themselves apart from all other 4k, HDR encoded discs, as being problematic on my system.

Or is this by design?

I've recently reset my projector and player settings to communicate better with WB's Watchmen and Man of Steel. Running in cinema high lamp mode, with those new settings, the resultant image is very satisfactory.

Except now, we've gone rather monochromatic.

I cannot speak to the film, as perceived on a flat panel.

It seems that Man of Steel and Watchmen necessitate some form of additional control and prep when playing back on Sony projectors.

I initially found the films unviewable, because of the clotted blacks, but can now feel more comfortable, with the exception of lowered chroma.

More to come.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

With the latest firmware update from Sony, these discs now seem to be playing properly.

And while I was pointing the finger at Samsung since March, the problem seems to have been Sony all along, although they too were pointing the finger at Samsung.

RAH

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Important information - the raison d'être of 4K is being able to project a huge, almost cinema quality image at home!

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Very interesting I thought this was a stunning on my Samsung HDR TV very detailed. Mine only outputs about 500nits after calibration so I found Hancock lacking in detail but I thought this one had pretty darn good detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks