What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lost -- in BD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We have a winner!

If information is correct, Lost is photographed in 35mm 3-perf, and scanned toward final product being a 1080p broadcast master.

What we see on air is based upon our receiving situations, but in no case is anywhere near true 1080p without the horrific compression added for broadcast.

Seeing Lost (Season 3) on Blu-Ray from Disney is not only a revelation, but in it's overall clarity and color is assured to be at the top of the demo list for many home theater aficionados.

The heavy green tropical foliage, bright blue skies and delicate blues and azures of the surrounding waters have never looked more beautiful, inviting... or ominous.

While I cannot pretend to understand what is occurring on screen story-wise, I have been hooked by the series in it's home video form.

With just a bit of noise in the darkest shots, Lost is about as perfect a final product as one is apt to find in 1080p.

I'll add a single caveat to this consideration. Those viewing in less than full 1080p will not get the full effect of this magnificent set of discs.

Hopefully Seasons 1 and 2 will follow.

Very Highly Recommended as reference quality.

RAH

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

Few things (home theater related) would make me happier. This is an amazing release that really shows off what the Blu Ray format can look like. This will be my first choice when showing off my system.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I started episode 1 of Season 3 on New Year's Eve night, just to see how it looked and then I was going to go to bed. Five episodes later, I finally did go to bed, only because I had to get up again so early. Five days later I finished the final episode. Mind you, I work a more-than-full-time job and have very little additional time lately for extracurricular activities. I simply couldn't stop watching. The show is brilliant and looks brilliant. Lost looks and sounds as good as anything I have in my BD and HD-DVD library and far better than most. Bring on Seasons 1 and 2.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm not surprised at this review as I've watched all three seasons on SD DVD and with my 720p AW15 (I love the processing on my PJ), the SD versions have looked exceedingly good. So I expect the HDM version to spectacular. Unfortunately, I'm not yet "purple" but I will eventually get all the Lost season sets. I can wait for them to all be "blue". By then I will be "purple".

LCD22

Screenwriter
I certainly can't wait when they re-release the first two seasons on Blu-ray. Season 3 was the first Blu-ray I purchased this morning, but I do have one question. As I mentioned in another thread, I will be getting the Panasonic DMP-BD30K to which I haven't bought yet, but will this take full advantage of this Blu-ray release?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I wolfed down the Season 3 SD set and just picked up the BluRay version. I'll do some watching and comparing over the next few nights but as our resident expert has already noted the greens and blues are amazing on the BR set.

This is a classic series that will increase in recognition once the series run is complete.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I purposely haven't watched these shows knowing they'd evenetually be released on Blu- but releasing them from mid-run won't get me to buy them. I understand why they'd start with S3, but I wish they'd start with S1 for the novice too.:frowning:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I hope they get out S1 and S2 because S3 is absolutely beautiful. Even the video in the menus just gives that aww inspiring 'looking through a glass window' feeling.

I originally felt guilty buying it at $55 but I'll gladly pay more for the other seasons....well ok not much more but you definitely get what your money's worth with this set.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Fair enough, but if too many people hold off, they won't get the sales figures to warrant releasing the first two seasons in blu.

I always rewatch the previous season on home video prior to the new season, and am working through Season Three right now. Quality is terrific. FWIW, the DVDs for the first two seasons were excellent too!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
RAH,

my favorite show and I've been toying with getting this on Blu. Thanks for pushing me over the edge!

dave :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Like Bleddyn alluded to, I'd rent recommend renting the SD DVDs of S1 and S2 (they're not HD but they still look excellent) and then if you're into the show, buy the S3 Blu Ray. When they get around to S1 and S2, you can pick up those BR releases.

Eric F

Screenwriter
No- sorry. Why would I watch them on DVD when I could have been better off just watching them when they ran them first run in HD?

If they want my money they'll have to release S1 & S2 otherwise there's plenty of other stuff for me to watch.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Thanks Lou. I was going to go back and edit my post after reading Robert's review, but I didn't get a chance to. I was wondering if I should wait for the new Panasonic model that was announced at CES though.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

But Eric - you DIDN'T see them. If you want to enjoy the show, the DVDs of Seasons 1 & 2 have been excellent, and then you can enjoy S3 in blu without having to wait any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks