A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lifeforce -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Tobe Hooper's 1985 Lifeforce, about vampires from outer space, has always been a crowd-pleaser. Shot on a very decent budget, for the era, some of the effects might look a bit last century, but overall they still work.

With an image harvested from what appears to be an IP, Scream Factory's new Blu-ray is a quality affair. Grain looks appropriately print-like. Color, density and shadow detail all work nicely.

Audio, in DTS-HD MA, sounds superb, and at times, huge. It can give speakers a good work-out.

A fun film, that holds up nicely, especially with the presence of the space girl, Mathilda May -- now 48.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

Todd Erwin likes this.
  2. theonemacduff

theonemacduff Second Unit

Jon Paul
    Another personal favourite, especially because of its incredible momentum, which is something I love in films, the sense that one is strapped in for a ride that is not going to let up.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    One of my faves as well. Lifeforce almost has a Hammer feel to it, and I mean that in a very good way. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the presentation on this Blu-ray. The transfer is wonderful and some of the extras are interesting. Loved the interview with Matilda, who's still very beautiful today.

4. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I have the crappy old DVD - was just waiting for a good review like this - I'm ordering it now. Hope I can find the HTF link.

Edit: found the link and ordered through HTF/Amazon

5. John-Weller

John-Weller Stunt Coordinator

John
    A real favourite of mine - and a total upgrade from a dvd was awful in 1998!

t