What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Life of PI -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
And Lee's beautiful film, Life of PI, was gorgeous when it arrived on Blu-ray, but takes a huge step forward now in 4k, especially with the addition of HDR.

Some 2k DIs seem to fare better in their 4k uprez, and LoP is of exceptional quality.

Want to show off your new 4k system to those unacquainted with the textures possible?

Great reference for image.

Missing Dolby Atmos for audio, which is still wonderfully immersive.

Image - 5

Audio - 4.5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I thought the 4K non-HDR (Got it with the Samsung hard drive) looked very good, so I'm glad to hear the HDR version is great as well. I just found the movie just ok, so for me I might wait until it is cheap.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Unless I have overlooked something, it doesn't appear as though any 4k releases incorporate 3-D, including the native 3-D of LIFE OF PI. Is that not to be utilized at all for ultra HD titles?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unless I have overlooked something, it doesn't appear as though any 4k releases incorporate 3-D. Is that not to be utilized at all for ultra HD titles?

At the moment that's the case. The UHD spec does not currently provide for 4K 3D. (Kinda similar to the way that the original BD spec didn't include 3D either and it was added later.)

The bigger problem for now is that there's absolutely no 4K 3D content readily available. 3D DCPs are currently being done at 2K for theatrical releases. If there's no 4K 3D projection in theaters currently, it seems unlikely that it will be offered in the home anytime soon.

Given the choice between 3D and 4K, I'd pick 3D everytime, especially for movies like Life Of Pi which were conceived and designed and shot in 3D. Life Of Pi is one of the very best modern 3D productions. I don't quite see the point in watching it in 2D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks