What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ditto. Canceled LoA order onAmazon and ordered through Deep Discount. $20 will buy me some other BD. Thanks for the heads up.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
How is Deep Discount these days? I gave them up a couple of years ago when service got to be so horrible. Are they back to being dependable? When do you folks ordering the Lawrence box expect to get it?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Chas in CT said:
How is Deep Discount these days?  I gave them up a couple of years ago when service got to be so horrible.  Are they back to being dependable?  When do you folks ordering the Lawrence box expect to get it?
I believe their free standard shipping is 3-7 days. I am foregoing release-day delivery from Amazon to save $20. I have not ordered much from Deep Discount, but when I have, they have been fine,

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
How is Deep Discount these days?  I gave them up a couple of years ago when service got to be so horrible.  Are they back to being dependable?  When do you folks ordering the Lawrence box expect to get it?
You could try sending an e-mail to Amazon to see if they will price match if you are uncomfortable ordering from Deep Discount . I believe Deep Discount was sold a year or two ago. Their shipping is better than it was. Their prices, in general , have gone up though they still specials like this. For example they currently require a $25 purchase for free shipping.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Robert Harris said:
He could.  Been there for fifty years.
We wet-gated.  Solved 50% of the problem.
Mr. Crisp digitized, solved 75% of the problem.
Since the majority of the shots entail extremely fine background definition, going to the sep masters, could negate detail.
This is one of those damed if you do, damned it you don't situations.
I'm with Mr. Crisp.
RAH
Me too. I would much rather the problem be the unavoidable negative issue than an avoidable banding issue. And don't get me wrong, I saw the movie on the big screen on Oct. 4th and it does look fantastic.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Chas in CT said:
I believe Deep Discount ships from California. For me, being in PA, it takes about 7 days with their free shipping.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
Deep Discount's hq was in Illinois as far as I know. But that could have changed
Deep Discount was sold a few years ago. They now ship from California.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Here's Lawrence at Costco, as Neal previously reported in this thread.
uve4yheq.jpg

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I wasn't going to get the big box but seeing that picture and that price has me seriously considering it...
I don't have a huge amount of faith in seeing the third disc of extras released separately at this point, and that is the decisive factor.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Moe Dickstein said:
I wasn't going to get the big box but seeing that picture and that price has me seriously considering it...
I don't have a huge amount of faith in seeing the third disc of extras released separately at this point, and that is the decisive factor.
That was my rationale as well, the lower price at Deep Discount and that third disc -- it was one of those things where in the back of my mind, I know I should be saving right about now, but it's freaking Lawrence of Arabia!! And now that I've hit the "order" button, I cannot wait for it to get here.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Moe Dickstein said:
DeepDiscount didn't beat Costco did they? I just looked and it was like $75 there...
DD had a one-day special for $49.99/free shipping.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/90#post_4000542
DD had a one-day special for $49.99/free shipping.

DD shipments take a while to get here, but at that price I ordered one which will be a Christmas present so I don't care if it takes a week or two.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks for the unboxing, Felix! Especially nice to see it in relation to other titles on a shelf.
Would love to get this, but I'm running out of space in my home, so will probably settle for the 2-disc set. Same considerations made me choose the US Hitchcock set over the UK Limited Edition, despite the fact that the UK was about $20 cheaper. Its just - where can I put all this stuff? :confused:

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Preparing to dive into everything right now. My thanks to Sony, RAH, Mr. Crisp and all who've made this possible.
Quite pleased with my film frame. Not the most visually sumptuous image, but it features my second favorite line from the film (after "Nothing is written"), and one of the early indicators of Lawrence's character.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."
I suppose I could pass it off as a frame from Prometheus too, as the moment features prominently in the early scenes of that film as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks