What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Allansfirebird said:
Is... is this a bit?
Well, if you want it to be bit it can be bit. :) I tell you what lets make, Friday every week "bit day". Now everyone is happy. :) Everyone has a bit.

I even have Original orange juice with juicy bits. Now how about that. :) I buy a bluray costing more than the orange juice and yet there's no juicy bits on the bluray, Why is that?

10399449_10152552420600149_8649555822221416785_n.jpg

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
andySu said:
At least the CC has reel change dots (Yes that is what I saw at the cinema) and gives a cinema likeness being there even scratches and there are quiet a few on the CC, which doesn't bother me, it looks film like. :)
I have watched lots of laserdiscs and the least thing they do is looking filmlike with large format epic movies, they look resolution starved in almost every frame as soon as you go anywhere close to your (TV) screen (ca. 4 screen widths away and closer).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
andySu said:
But here's another thing that gives me the hump. The framing seems to show more width on the bluray from the captures I've seen and I see a little bit less on Criterion Collection? Not much difference on the region 2 DVD.

At least the CC has reel change dots (Yes that is what I saw at the cinema) and gives a cinema likeness being there even scratches and there are quiet a few on the CC, which doesn't bother me, it looks film like. :)
I'm told there is an app coming for cue marks...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
OliverK said:
I have watched lots of laserdiscs and the least thing they do is looking filmlike with large format epic movies, they look resolution starved in almost every frame as soon as you go anywhere close to your (TV) screen (ca. 4 screen widths away and closer).
You could not be more wrong.

480i is the way that the film Gods intended motion pictures to be seen.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
I'm told there is an app coming for cue marks...
Lol excellent. Usually after seeing so many past films I can often remember where they appear at. Its often the PAL speed-up ones that throws me off. NTSC and bluray which is at the same speed. See the first do and count to 10.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
andySu said:
But here's another thing that gives me the hump. The framing seems to show more width on the bluray from the captures I've seen and I see a little bit less on Criterion Collection? Not much difference on the region 2 DVD.

Maybe there should be a new line of Blu-ray's that gives you the second (or 10th) run movie theater experience. You know, the faded colors, scratches, tears, warps, weave and wobble and other assorted damage. Wait... isn't that what Kino is trying to do?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Robert Harris said:
Agreed. Steer clear of the Blu-ray. Heavily flawed. Criterion laserdisc far superior, especially CAV version. Best yet.
Only 7 side changes! Best watched on an LD player without dual-side play. You want to get up and flip that disc by hand every 30 minutes, just like David Lean intended when he made the movie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
JoshZ said:
Only 7 side changes! Best watched on an LD player without dual-side play. You want to get up and flip that disc by hand every 30 minutes, just like David Lean intended when he made the movie.
Also must be viewed on a huge screen. A 35" Mitsu is best.RAH

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I just wish they could give more films that epic feel by putting less of the film on each side of the laserdisc, so I can feel as I do with films like CAV GWTW and LOA.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert Harris said:
Agreed. Steer clear of the Blu-ray. Heavily flawed. Criterion laserdisc far superior, especially CAV version. Best yet.
Based on your advice i have decided to sell my blu ray and re-buy the VHS version, i hope the Ebay sellers don't charge too much, i'm afraid the laserdisc is out of the question and i believe a tape format is better suited for a 70mm film production.

Good news, i found a copy selling on Ebay, unfortunately it's widescreen, i was really hoping for fullscreen, i might pass.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Robert Harris said:
Also must be viewed on a huge screen. A 35" Mitsu is best.RAH

Mr Harris, I very much appreciate your humor, and certainly, also, the significant portion of your life that you devoted, in the late 1980s, toward restoring and preserving Lawrence, for future generations.

At this late date, I wondered if you might answer a question about viewing Lawrence, somewhat related to your humorous reference to a recommended

screen size. I enjoy the Lawrence Blu-ray immensely on our 80" screen. However, when the film makes its UHD Blu-ray debut, if the only thing improved

happened to be an increase in resolution, with no change in color gamut or contrast, would you think that on an 80 inch screen the improvement in the film's image would be substantial compared to the Blu-ray.

If you read this post, I'd really appreciate knowing what your view about such a situation would be.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mike Boone said:
Mr Harris, I very much appreciate your humor, and certainly, also, the significant portion of your life that you devoted, in the late 1980s, toward restoring and preserving Lawrence, for future generations.

At this late date, I wondered if you might answer a question about viewing Lawrence, somewhat related to your humorous reference to a recommended

screen size. I enjoy the Lawrence Blu-ray immensely on our 80" screen. However, when the film makes its UHD Blu-ray debut, if the only thing improved

happened to be an increase in resolution, with no change in color gamut or contrast, would you think that on an 80 inch screen the improvement in the film's image would be substantial compared to the Blu-ray.

If you read this post, I'd really appreciate knowing what your view about such a situation would be.

Since the base data files are all in 4k, you would have a 400% increase in resolution, in addition to higher color density.

4k (UHD) is a totally different world.

RAH

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Thank you, sir, for pointing out something that I had forgotten to take into account. Namely, that a positive consequence of greater resolution is an increase in the color density of images. Therefore, when some people state that currently available UHD displays are only superior to 1080p displays in

resolution, that's sort of a one dimensional view that omits how a 2nd dimension, color saturation, is also heightened with UHD.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Robert Harris said:
Since the base data files are all in 4k, you would have a 400% increase in resolution, in addition to higher color density.

4k (UHD) is a totally different world.

RAH

Mr Harris, your noting that higher color density is another benefit of quadrupling Blu-ray's 1080p resolution with UHD displays and UHD source material, has me wondering how visually significant the improvement in color density could actually turn out to be. Already with 1080p Blu-ray my guests marvel at the richness of the reds and blues that appear on British uniforms and hats in early scenes of Lawrence of Arabia. And with my recently calibrated display, a short time ago I paused a scene of a salad bar where every fruit and vegetable looked exactly as it does in reality. The broccoli, for example,

from the deep, dark green of its flower, to its light green stalk, which then transitions into white, looked precisely as it does when it's on our dinner table.

During a movie, the other day, when a bag of Lay's potato chips appeared in a scene, I froze the action so that I could retrieve a bag of those potato chips from our cupboard. Sure enough, the famous yellow, red, and white colors of the bag on screen, were so close to the bag in my hand that I'd have to strain to even imagine that there was any significant difference in appearance between the two.

My basic question, Mr Harris, is that since high quality 1080p displays and material already have the capability to accurately reproduce the look of things such as apples, oranges, pears, cantaloupe, and bananas, how much difference can an increase in color density actually provide toward making such images seem even more realistic?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
One has not lived until sitting back to sample the Lawrence of Arabia: The Animated Windows Cursor in stunning 32x32 pixel resolution.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I notice the higher color density in 4K video as well, as a result of the increased resolution. Technically though, 4k only doubles the resolution, not quadruples it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks