What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Laura -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I watched this last night and it is indeed way, way too bright. This seems like it would have been an easy fix digitally. Like a few mouse clicks easy. What went wrong here?? I'd almost rather watch the DVD (which is quite good for a DVD).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert
I watched this last night and it is indeed way, way too bright. This seems like it would have been an easy fix digitally. Like a few mouse clicks easy. What went wrong here?? I'd almost rather watch the DVD (which is quite good for a DVD).
May be far more problematic than you surmise. Pulling down certain grays toward a heavier look could create more problems than it solves. Where do brighter areas go?
My bet is that, based upon extant elements, Mr. Belston and his team did everything possible to get this appearing original. Simply building contrast could also create problems.
i occasionally raise a glass to those behind the decision making c. 1976, shake my head, mutter something inappropriate, and move on.
RAH

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris said:
May be far more problematic than you surmise.  Pulling down certain grays toward a heavier look could create more problems than it solves.  Where do brighter areas go? My bet is that, based upon extant elements, Mr. Belston and his team did everything possible to get this appearing original.  Simply building contrast could also create problems. i occasionally raise a glass to those behind the decision making c. 1976, shake my head, mutter something inappropriate, and move on. RAH
You're probably right. It seemed too bright on my display, too. When I changed the display to a deep black setting (one click - easy!) the blacks were crushed. So, I reverted back to my regular setting.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
haineshisway said:
Just a friendly head's up that the limited edition Laura soundtrack CD we announced on Monday is about to sell out, so if you want one high tail it over to kritzerland.com.
Bruce, I received my copy a few days ago. Congratulations on a job well done! Sounds great. One of the best film scores ever.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
JoelA said:
Bruce, I received my copy a few days ago. Congratulations on a job well done! Sounds great. One of the best film scores ever.
I agree. I listened to it the other evening. It's great to have one of my favorite film scores in such nice condition, with liner notes by Julie Kirgo.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Bruce thank you very much for Laura. I never as a little kid who saw Laura on the Late Late Show back in the mid and late 60s would ever own the movie and now the complete score to the movie. I ordered a 78 record of Laura the movie sound track and would play it over and over again. Laura is my favorite movie score and here is Carly Simon singing it. Thanks again Bruce and to all who worked on this CD

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
HI Bruce also forgot to mention that I noticed Lauras theme was dropped from Anns party when she and Shelby are smokeing on the terrace. I thought i herad it played near the end of the cd right before Laura's party.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Watched the new Laura Blu-ray on my 120" setup last night. Looked and sounded magnificent. Didin't notice any unusual audio or video anomalies. It's been some years since I last saw the film, and had forgotten some of the more important plot points. I was almost as surprised as Dana Andrews when
Laura walks in on him and he has to do a double take and try to convince himself that he's not dreaming!
I even forgot who the murderer was! Until Dana Andrews
decides to look in the bottom of Waldo's clock and finds the shotgun
, then it came back to me. I must really be going senile. Well, if I am, one good thing is that I'll be able to re watch all my favorite films again for the first time! :D

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
just viewed the Laura disc again. I have noticed that the 20th Century Fox fanfare appropriate to the time period at the beginning of the film has been replaced by a 1953 rerecording like that which is heard in "How to Marry a Millionaire" and "The Seven Year Itch". It should be the one that precedes films such as Miracle on 34th Street (1947) and The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). This is a silly mistake caused by ignorant operators and I seriously hope it is not repeated in future Studio Classics releases. Note: The logo is correct on the BD. it wasn't correct on the DVD. The fanfare is correct on the DVD, albeit has poor sound quality. I assume it was changed for superior sound quality, but the wrong fanfare was used.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Old thread I know, but watching this right now.
No problems with audio.
A bit of adjustment with brightness/contrast on the TV, and it looks very nice indeed.
A terrific film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks