A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lara Croft Tomb Raider -- in High Definition

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I'm a fan of Roger Ebert's reviews, and attempting to come up with an opening for Tomb Raider, I was reminded of his thoughts, herein borrowed from his site:

""Lara Croft Tomb Raider" elevates goofiness to an art form. Here is a movie so monumentally silly, yet so wondrous to look at, that only a churl could find fault.

And please don't tell me it makes no sense. The last thing I want to see is a sensible movie about how the Illuminati will reunite the halves of the severed triangle in order to control time in the ruins of the ancient city that once rose in the meteor crater--if, and it's a big "if," the clue of the All-Seeing Eye inside the hidden clock can be used at the moment of planetary alignment that comes every 5,000 years, and if the Tomb Raiders are not destroyed by the many-armed Vishnu figure and the stone monkeys. The logic is exhausting enough even when it doesn't make sense."

No one could say it better.

And with that out of the way, I can comment upon the quality of Paramount's HD release -- the final that I've seen of their first four.

In short, it matches the quality of the previous three -- rich colors, solid blacks, superb shadow detail, brilliant resolution, and a clean image. I did note the extremely rare instance of a bit of dirt on the film element, which rather than being a negative, simply reminded me that this was film sourced.

Releasing Lara Croft is a savvy move for Paramount, as it not only opens HD to those who don't dwell on film as "cinema" or akin to literature, but services their need to get product into the marketplace that simply looks stunning.

Recommended as a fun film and as superb high definition DVD.

RAH

2. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Hi Robert,

Nice, review but it leaves me with a burning question:

Did you really trademark your phrase "A few words about..."?

-Reagan

3. Terri Chu

Terri Chu Extra

Thanks for the review. It's one of my favourite no-brain-required movies. Now it's a no-brainer-definite-purchase!