What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kismet -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Edward Weinman said:
...WB said they were working on "The Band Wagon" some years ago...what were they doing with it?!
That was on the telly in HD in the UK a couple of years ago looking very nice.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Love to see it on Blu ray!
I have Monte Carlo with Jack Buchanan too, but this is my favourite of his. I've never been able to sight any of his British movies such as Brewster's Millions; and I guess there's not enough demand for those for even a DVD release!
I guess 2 am screenings on Gem or the ABC would be the only way to sight those ....

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
You are in luck, Anthony. Network in the UK are releasing 2 Jack Buchanan titles in their 'British Film' range - "The Gang's All Here" (11th October) and "The Middle Watch" (3rd November). Network has also just released "Josephine and Men", which features Buchanan in a supporting role.

gang-s-all-here-the.jpg
middle-watch-the.jpg
josephine-and-men.jpg

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Billy Batson said:
That was on the telly in HD in the UK a couple of years ago looking very nice.
...I wonder how things work that "The Band Wagon" is shown in HD but there is no further information re: it's transition to blu-ray?
(it's been a long time.)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
...I wonder how things work that "The Band Wagon" is shown in HD but there is no further information re: it's transition to blu-ray?(it's been a long time.)
There's hundreds of films that are shown on the telly in HD that haven't had a Blu-ray release. Only this Saturday I saw a very nice looking HD transfer of a favourite 50's western, Bend Of The River. There's so many Universal & Columbia films shown in HD in the UK, & I'm sure in the US (& I don't have any Sky movie channels), & I'm sure all these United Artist films that K.L. are releasing have been shown several times in the last few years on the (late) MGM movie channel.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
classicmovieguy said:
You are in luck, Anthony. Network in the UK are releasing 2 Jack Buchanan titles in their 'British Film' range - "The Gang's All Here" (11th October) and "The Middle Watch" (3rd November). Network has also just released "Josephine and Men", which features Buchanan in a supporting role.

attachicon.gif
gang-s-all-here-the.jpg
attachicon.gif
Anybody looking for information on "The Gangs All Here" which is not the famous Carmen Miranda film but a british movie from 1939 which was released in the USA as "The Amazing Mr.Forrest". Alfred Hitchcock was to direct it but later changed his mind.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks Byron and Doug for the info.
All this has reminded me of the great Lubitsch movie 'Monte Carlo' with Jack Buchanan and the redoubtable Jeanette MacDonald.
That scene of her in the railway carriage singing 'Beyond the Blue Horizon' as the workers toil happily in the French fields outside the carriage is a killer. So Soviet. So inspired. It might have to be the very first thing I watch when my new projector bulb finally arrives from the States!

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Here's something funny - my dad used to have the Kismet soundtrack on LP, as pictured below. I was always amused by the photograph on the front which happens to show a number of oil wells on top of the cliffs at top right!

kismet.jpg

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I had that LP back in the '70's. It reveals that Howard Keel is indeed standing in front of a painted backdrop of a sky. Whoever chose the photo for the LP cover was not very observant. Interesting insight though on how they filmed that scene in the movie. With CinemaScope, the sets had to be bigger, inc the outdoor ones.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I had and still do in storage the series of LP albums that were titled THOSE GLORIOUS MGM MUSICALS. My memory tells me the that the series was in two releases of six double LP records per release. One on those LPs included the soundtrack for KISMET. That was my first introduction to the film and the music. Enjoyed ever since and looking forward to the Blu.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Are we looking at the same disc? Delores Gray is poorly dubbed and obviously lip-syncing. The color is kind of faded too. Not a great movie. Keel is the only thing worth while here and Minelli's direction. Give me Kiss Me Kate any day over this. In 3D.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
My disc arrived today and I must echo RAH's comments. KISMET is a magnificent looking, and amazing sounding Blu-ray spectacle. It is a true winner!!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
noel aguirre said:
Are we looking at the same disc? Delores Gray is poorly dubbed and obviously lip-syncing. The color is kind of faded too. Not a great movie. Keel is the only thing worth while here and Minelli's direction. Give me Kiss Me Kate any day over this. In 3D.
You know, you really need to do your homework - Dolores Gray was NEVER dubbed in any film. If you think she is "obviously" lip-synching it's because everyone in the film and any musical of that era ARE lip-synching to their pre-recorded track. And I think anyone who has read any of your previous posts about color can just discount that immediately :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I was lucky enough to see Dolores Gray do a cabaret act when I lived in San Francisco in the 1970s. She didn't sing any of the songs from Kismet but when a club patron asked for Not Since Ninevah, she let out with the opening bars and shook the rafters!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks