A Few Words About A few words about...™ Khartoum & Zulu -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    Olivier gave non-"theatrical" performances in several films: Carrie (1952), Bunny Lake Is Missing, Term Of Trial and quite a few others.

davidHartzog and John Hodson like this.
  2. AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner Banned

For me, Olivier's performance as the Mahdi is straight out of the Peter Sellers/Goodness gracious me box of tricks. I always thought Jack Palance or Anthony Quinn would have been better in that role.

3. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer
    Supporter

John smith
    The current issue of Cinema Retro has an informative 12 page article on the making of Zulu.

4. sonomatom1

sonomatom1 Stunt Coordinator

Tom Martin
    Trying to cancel this post.

5. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    This has been discussed many times in the Zulu thread. Some think the UK release has too much DNR and is overly bright. There have been heated disagreements on this over a long period.

6. sonomatom1

Tom Martin
    I remember from Heston's autobiography that he wasn't too pleased with either the film, but most especially, the director whom he didn't think was prepared to helm a film the size of 'Khartoum', As for Olivier, remember his scenes were filmed in England while he was doing 'Othello'. It's certainly not his greatest performance (but I absolutely loved 'Oh my beloved') - he later said that he would do any role for the money - but I think Ralph Richardson (especially in the train station), Richard Johnson, and the actor who played the Sudanese slaver who hoped that Gordon died alone in the desert were the most memorable performances of the film. Heston, IMO, was surprisingly effective in the role - he looked stunning in his dress uniform!

7. sonomatom1

Tom Martin
    Thanks, John. I read thru all the threads and had my question answered, but now I can't figure out to delete my post. Thanks for the response.

8. GlennF

GlennF Second Unit

Glenn Frost
    Well this is reviving an old topic, but just had to write something. I finally broke down and bought the Blu-ray of KHARTOUM. Wow! Does it look great. The detail and sharpness is amazing (and sharpness is not the strength of my plasma) and the colour is great - especially the reds that jump out at you. The sound is also a big step up from the DVD.Is it a great film...no. Is it a good film...yes. I would even call it very good. I would certainly recommend it. A large scale epic where there are real people and no CGI. There is a little bit of process photography, but, by and far, most of it is done on location. The Egyptian locations look great!Olivier takes a little getting used to and the number of people performing in "black face" takes a LARGE grain of salt, but those were the times. I think the last movie I saw something like that in (that I remember) is PASSAGE TO INDIA where Alec Guiness played an Indian. Kind of made you want to cringe.Of course Heston's British accent is...well let's just say Professor Henry Higgins would not be pleased. But he certainly has that heroic sort of stature to fit the part. In the 60's,I agree, it was a bit of a cliché that he was in so many of these films, but think about it. How many actors today could do it?Anyway, having watched most of it and the first 20 minutes for a second time already tonight just had to spout off a bit about the excellent work done to bring this to Blu-ray.P.S. Couldn't help but think...this is what MY FAIR LADY should look like.

9. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

There was a great quote from, I believe, the director about Heston being cast in True Lies: Who but Heston could believably intimidate Arnold Schwarzenegger?

10. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

I think it was True Lies which had dear old Chuck, but the quote stands. :)

11. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Olivier was not performing in black face. That's a term that relates to a specific style of the use of burnt cork in minstrel shows. Olivier was performing in makeup, just like he and Orson Welles did when they played Othello, or like Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall did when they played old white men in Coming to America.

12. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

You're right. I've corrected post.

13. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I didn't get the Blu-ray but i was watching KHARTOUM today on TCM (UK). The HD picture quality in the correct aspect ratio was extremely good but what surprised me was that the Intermission and Entr'acte music were included. It's the first time I have ever seen any UK TV channel include an original theatrical intermission. They didn't show the Overture although the wording was briefly seen on screen prior to the main titles.

DP 70 likes this.
  14. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    If the movie had one, TCM will include the intermission. I have seen it on many titles.

15. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I'm referring to the U K version of TCM which is quite different to the U.S. Version.

16. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

In the recent Holiday showing of KING OF KINGS TCM deleted the Overture, Entr'acte and Exit music.