What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jeremiah Johnson -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sydney Pollack's 1972 Jeremiah Johnson is a 108 minute film, or thereabouts.

The new Blu-ray from Warner Home Video has an Overture and (I've read) Intermission runs 116. The DVD had the same, and I still don't get it. I'm trying to figure out what an audience that's gone to an under two hour film does with a 15 or whatever minute intermission. Not a clue.

Only thing I can reckon is that there might have been a much longer cut early on, and that an Overture and Intermission might have been planned, but as it is, it really doesn't make any sense.

I mention that I've heard that there's an intermission, as I've not seen it. I didn't get that far into the film. I wanted to. I really did. This is a wonderful film.

It's just that it never looked in focus. And it was so soft at times, that I found it distracting.

Sound seemed fine. Would've been nice to view it with 5.1 running.

Wondering if possibly the image was taken from an IP, that was just ever so slightly out.

Pity that the image just doesn't hold up in projection. And it should.

Image - 3
Audio - 5

RAH

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ir?t=afewwordsabout-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B006UANERU

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Despite your rating, I enjoyed my BRD of it. I agree that certain scenes were rough, but for the most part I enjoyed the entire film in 1080p.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/320784/a-few-words-about-jeremiah-johnson-in-blu-ray#post_3926262
The transfer is out of focus?
Soft. Never seems to be critically sharp. If I were projecting, I'd be in the booth trying to figure out where the problem was.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Is it an intermission or exit music? IMDb indicates that the previous DVD release had an overture and exit music, which makes nominally more sense.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I haven't watched it yet. I might not. I wish now I hadn't bought it.
I saw JEREMIAH JOHNSON in a theater a few times. There was no intermission.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H /t/320784/a-few-words-about-jeremiah-johnson-in-blu-ray#post_3926754
Is it an intermission or exit music? IMDb indicates that the previous DVD release had an overture and exit music, which makes nominally more sense.

No, it's what RAH stated. After watching the BRD, I didn't remember the DVD having it so I compared them and they're exactly alike in that regard.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/320784/a-few-words-about-jeremiah-johnson-in-blu-ray#post_3926846
I haven't watched it yet. I might not. I wish now I hadn't bought it.
I saw JEREMIAH JOHNSON in a theater a few times. There was no intermission.

That's too bad as I would like to read your comments about this BRD.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that it may not be an old image harvest.

The problem may be a less than stellar IP, as this is definitely not a scan from the OCN. JJ was beautifully photographed and should have a light sheen of real 5254 grain.

RAH

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Stephen_J_H said:
Jeremiah Johnson has an excellent music score and I for one enjoy the overture and Entr'acte music.
By the way the score is available from FilmScoreMonthly.com

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
Robert Crawford said:
Despite your rating, I enjoyed my BRD of it.  I agree that certain scenes were rough, but for the most part I enjoyed the entire film in 1080p. 
Crawdaddy
I found the blu-ray satisfactory also. I saw JEREMIAH JOHNSON in it's original theatrical release a couple of times and don't remember the presentation being much of a standout inspite of all the fine outdoor cinematography; it also wasn't presented in stereo at the Kansas City theaters I attended.
The studio originally planned a roadshow treatment and asked McIntire and Rubinstein to create the appropriate music cues, but that plan was abandoned. The score is very good, so it's great to have the overture and intermezzo reinstated for home theaters.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Sorry to bring up this old thread but, it was on TCM HD a few days ago and I noticed the overture at the beginning. Is this the shortest film to have an overture and Entr'acte music?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks