What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jaws -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
FoxyMulder said:
therefore it must have been clear to us otherwise why would we mimic it
Perhaps because it's the only word that ever follows "you son of a" in common English parlance?
Context isn't everything, but it's pretty close.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/150#post_3961615
Perhaps because it's the only word that ever follows "you son of a" in common English parlance?
Context isn't everything, but it's pretty close.

Nah, it was loud and clear on the original version of Jaws. Anyways let me give you a few examples, you son of a gun, you son of a three headed yellow banana looking thing, etc etc, seriously this has been proved earlier in the thread with actual you tube clips and the fact is that it's toned down in the re-mix.

Spielberg wants it this way, let it be so, shame they couldn't give us the original mono mix, shame also that we all talk about film preservation on these boards but no one complains much about preservation of the sound. How many film soundtracks are altered these days, too many, from directional voice steering across the front channels on many fifties/sixties films to the usual 5.1/7.1 re-mix, no one seems to care if the original track isn't there, it seems the focus is more on preserving image quality and who cares about the original sound, yeah i know sometimes they provide the original mix, sometimes they don't as on this release.

Well, there is a poster on another thread that says he has viewed 35mm vintage prints recently, and the line is clipped there too....so I guess that's how it has always been.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I asked the powers that be at Universal about the line, and was told that while it is still there, it is however, surrounded by replaced effected from the remix of 2000, some of which remain in the Centennial mix. The original mono shotgun effects were replaced by stereo gun effects, which occur in the same spot, but somewhat mast the last word due to the wider frequency range.

Also, immediately after the gun shot, the impact of the bullet hit on the air tank has been replaced. The original 1975 ricochet effect was revised in 2000 to a more modern sounding effect. That effect has been replaced by the original in the latest 2012 mix.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/150#post_3961793
So, the mono track is the original?
If the missing word was originally free and clear of effects, it does not seem to be.

RAH

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Robert Harris said:
If the missing word was originally free and clear of effects, it does not seem to be.
RAH
The last word was always masked somewhat by the gun shot. I saw the film in the theater in 1975. Trust me. :P

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That's how I remember it, that it was "wittily" masked; i.e., you know he's saying son of a BITCH, but it's almost, dare I say it, family friendly...?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The bitch was masked by the gunshot on the 30th Anniversary dvd (which I assume used the same audio master as the old signiture edition laserdisc) as well.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/150#post_3962041
The bitch was masked by the gunshot on the 30th Anniversary dvd (which I assume used the same audio master as the old signiture edition laserdisc) as well.

I don't think so, i think the 30th anniversary edition was a new re-mix. Indeed from 2000 onwards if i read this thread correctly.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/150#post_3962051

I don't think so, i think the 30th anniversary edition was a new re-mix. Indeed from 2000 onwards if i read this thread correctly.
I was referring to the mono track.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Surely someone on this board has an old Discovision laserdisc of this lying around that they could compare the mono mix with the new Blu-Ray?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/150#post_3962055
I was referring to the mono track.

Was it the original mono track though. ?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It's already been confirmed by Mr. Harris that the mono track on the Blu-ray is the film's original mono track. That puts to rest all this stuff about how the line was in the original mix. You can now hear exactly what it sounded like in the original mono track.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
BTW, The Discovery Channel is going to be airing a retrospective on Jaws this evening entitled How "Jaws" Changed the World.
- Walter.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/150#post_3962188
It's already been confirmed by Mr. Harris that the mono track on the Blu-ray is the film's original mono track. That puts to rest all this stuff about how the line was in the original mix. You can now hear exactly what it sounded like in the original mono track.

That's not how i read it, if you are referring to post 164. Some things which were in the original mix are still there but some things have been added and altered is how i read it, i don't see anything specific about the mono track which seems to be using the new 7.1 mix as a starting point, if i'm wrong then so be it and i apologize for bringing this up again but my memory, which could be hazy, remembers the line well, also didn't someone post a you tube clip showing how it originally sounded and now sounds.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
FoxyMulder said:
That's not how i read it, if you are referring to post 164. Some things which were in the original mix are still there but some things have been added and altered is how i read it, i don't see anything specific about the mono track which seems to be using the new 7.1 mix as a starting point, if i'm wrong then so be it and i apologize for bringing this up again but my memory, which could be hazy, remembers the line well, also didn't someone post a you tube clip showing how it originally sounded and now sounds.
Yes, but did you read this post in the other JAWS thread?
Robert Harris said:
I have on the best of authority that the mono mix is accurate, and the original.
And that the word in question is at least patially covered by fx

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks