What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Humpback Whales -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thankfully, Shout Factory continues their series of large format documentaries.

Humpback Whales is one of the most recent works from Greg MacGillivray, who to me, is the godfather of Imax productions, beginning with To Fly, back in 1976.

Humpback Whales is a superb addition to his work. He's now joined by his son, Shaun, who has been co-producing, and now producing, many of his films since 2008.

Taking a 65/15 IMAX image down to 4k UHD for home consumption shouldn't be a terribly difficult task once data winds its way through to 4k final imagery, and what one sees on Shout Factory's 4k disc is quite extraordinary, especially in HDR format, which here is handled with a delicate hand.

Whether an anomaly of processing or some residual problem in the wonderful handshake between the Samsung player and the Sony projector, I'm seeing occasional banding, which should not be a part of the image. This will be further researched.

Will it be noticed by the casual viewer? Doubtful, so nothing to be feared.

Bottom line, a wonderful 40 minutes IMAX presentation, which follows Shouts desire to give the public everything they can, which here means 4k, with or without UHD, as well as Blu-ray, both in 2D and 3D formats.

If only the studios would handled their 3D films in this way.

The film is narrated by Ewan McGregor, who had an interesting career in film, and is best now known, according to liner notes for his two Golden Globe losses in the Best Performance by and Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy category, for Moulin Rouge! and Salmon Fishing in Yemen. Winners were Gene Hackman for The Royal Tenenbaums and Hugh Jackman for Les Miserables.

Audio is top of the line, Dolby Atmos.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Do you see the banding issues with "The Martian"? I have heard of banding issues between the Samsung which outputs at 10bit and 8bit panels in TVs. Not sure how that may or may not relate to a projector. The Panasonic allows you to change your output to 8bit which solved the problems so I have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks