What's new

A few words about...™ Hugo 3D -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Bob Furmanek said:
One benefit 3-D movies had in the 1950's was brightness and resolution: you were seeing two 35mm prints interlocked with high powered carbon arc lamphouses supplying the illumination. When properly aligned and calibrated, brightness for dual-strip was not a problem.
The issue he describes as "blur and strobing" occurs when shutters are out of phase. Just the slight differential will produce an image that while not out of sync, still exhibits an un-natural look to movement. In the Fall of 1953, the Polaroid Corporation developed a set of controls which enabled theaters to correct any out of phase issue during projection. I installed one of these units in my screening room and it worked like a charm!
Thanks for this, I learned something. I'd be interested in what Mr. Harris thinks of the new Laser projectors, though. Has anyone, like Trumbull, seen them in action?

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
JParker said:
Thanks for this, I learned something. I'd be interested in what Mr. Harris thinks of the new Laser projectors, though. Has anyone, like Trumbull, seen them in action?
Do you know, all these months I'd no idea you could send a member an e-mail through this system (I'm embarrassed, I clicked by accident and saw the button by his name!) :rolleyes:
Mr. Harris wrote to me and said:
I've not seen it, but did see Showscan.
As a believer in anything Trumbull, I'm willing to follow his lead anywhere...almost.
One of the problems of achieving a high level of reproduction via projection in 70mm is based (obviously) upon the hardware. We're given a huge hole through which to send our image, but many theatres don't feel the necessity to push the correct amount of light through it.
And when they do, the screens are wrong.
I'm looking at digital as a great potential equalizer, as long as everyone follows the rules and keeps hardware running properly.
There's nothing worse than seeing Lawrence on a huge curved screen, in 70mm, at 8 footlamberts, and cross-illumination.
All best,
RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks